Need a new racket (currently using mp99)

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Djiban, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Djiban

Djiban Regular Member

badminton addict aka baddict
    Hello baddicts,

Seems like it's time for me to switch badminton racket. I've been using mp99 for the past 6 years or so and I've always enjoyed playing with it. Since it's discontinued, it's difficult to find a store that sells one. I've been thinking to switch to another model, so what yonex racket do you guys recommend? The one that shares the same characteristics as mp99 or at least similar/better (slim, stiff, even balance). Armortec and nanospeed are out of my consideration because I've tried using them and they didn't fit me well...thanks in advance!

2. RyuHayabusa999

RyuHayabusa999 Regular Member

Businessman
    Voltric 80 is good for attacking and defending! Even though it is head heavy, I think it will suit you because I've tried MP99 and Voltric 80.... No problem switching. Try it.

3. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    Get the VT80...you'll love it.

4. nz2010

nz2010 Regular Member

Best replacement for MP99 is the Arc8DX or Arc10. Both rackets are better than MP99 in my opinion. Give it a try and you will see :).

5. Agile_Monkey

Agile_Monkey Regular Member

Student
    according to the Yonex racket specification chart, Voltirc 70, Armortec 500 are similar to MP99. But if you want a stiffer/head heavier (likes smashing), try AT900 technique. Arc10 or Arc8DX, both worth considering (if you play more doubles), which both gives you superb control with stiff shaft, more even balance (Arc10 slight head-heavier).cheers

6. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i personally don't find any rackets in the MP line to be stiff, if anything, i feel that MP rackets are used for people with slower swing speed for the "whipping" effect. this is just my opinion, but i've used my nanospeed 9900 for about an hour, then used the ArcZSlash for the next hour and i noticed a drastic change in the shaft stiffness. if you want more "whipping" effect like the MPs then get the ArcZSlash, where as the Nano9900 is a very stiff racket which i always mishit because i don't have a fast enough swing speed. this is just what i noticed and i'm not speaking in general. hope this helps :)

7. Agile_Monkey

Agile_Monkey Regular Member

Student
    As Gundamzaku said, the "whipping" effect of MP99. if you like the effect, then find those rackets have same kind material used in the shaft as MP99, called the "Ultimum Ti".

Yonex AT700(gen 2), 600, 500(2 colours available), MP66(still available) used the material in the shaft.
    Or you could try the Classic Ti-10(gen 3, purple), which is similar to MP99 in other aspects.

or... have a change, try something new/different!
    :)

8. TiKok

TiKok Guest

The closest to your MP99 is the NS990 2011