Need Help: How to Organize a Badminton Tournament 101

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Jinryu, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    So you plan to have a lot of people hanging around? What I usually see is one event starting earlier. e.g. men's doubles. Then the ladies doubles, and mixed.

Usually men's doubles has the largest number of entries and it would be prudent to get these out of the way plus turnover of matches (and players waiting around would be less)
    If you make the ladies(or guys) arrive later, they could do other more useful things rather than hanging around in the hall.

That's being extremely generous. You will find people entering and not turning up (and there will be quite a few!). That's unfair to those who got their entry in later but were refused.

2 days is too short. You really like to put pressure on yourself. Make it at least 1 week. That way you can give some details out to people like...their entry has been successful! If they haven't been successful, they can go and make other plans for the w/end;)

I'm 50:50 on this one. If a registered pair doesn't turn up, would you like to fill that group up to maintain the number of games in the round robin? (plus maintain the income you are trying to generate?

One way is to allow pairs to register on the day on a first come:first served basis. i.e.
    "1. All men's pairs must register by 1.45pm. If by 2pm no registration, then the entry will be forfeit."

"2. Players may be allowed to register on the day of the tournament on a first come- first served basis in the event of a registered entry forfeiting entry. Entry fees will be the same. Please note this is NOT a guarentee of entry."

No need to state this point, but be prepared to run two matches at one time if it's nerly 10pm!

Absolutely;)

Just keep to one bird. If you want the higher end shuttles in s/finals and finals, state which one will be used. My preference is to keep to one shuttle only. It's a bit crazy to keep changing types of shuttles for a small tournament that finishes on the same day.

And tournament organisors accept no responsibility for their safekeeping.

Is on site stringing service normal for a small tournament in Canada? If so, you guys are realy spoilt!:p

Definately!
    Those who forfeit entries on the day might ask for their money back giving you considerable administrative headache. I'd say, after closing date finishes, entry fee is non-refundable for those accepted into the draw.

If you let people telephone, e-mail entry, they must get an official form in WITH THE MONEY!!!!:D:D That's their responsibility. Envelopes with the postmark on the closing date will be accepted. After that it is to the discretion of the tournament referee.

Refuse all entries who don't PAY on time! Cannot stress this highly enough.

Only accept cash in person...not through the post!! (cos some will say you took their money unfairly! - i.e. they sent the money but you said you never receive the entry) :rolleyes:

Now, did I miss anything out? :p

2. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Librarian, RacketsportsMontreal.ca owner
    Seems pretty complete--

I think I'll take your advice about paying in advance, at least by like 5 days, and that entry fees are non-refundable. I should also put in some clause that if you are kicked out of the tournament due to misbehaviour, you don't get any refund either-- I can see myself kicking out spectators with their noisy uncontrolled kids, thats for sure...

3. raptorman

raptorman Regular Member

I think 4 courts is not enough for 50 pairs, you'll need at least 8, otherwise waiting times will be too long. (on our tournament we had 12 courts for 77 pairs, and that was just enough)

4. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

I've advised the gym staff, and I can rent more courts 'at the last minute' if need be. But i need to see how many people sign up first before I can say for sure. Minimum is 4 courts at the very least, but I'm not worried.

5. Devilicious

Devilicious Regular Member

student
    1. Mmm... How are you going to collect the money?! You're not running around Mtl all day long to get paid I hope.

2. Is the tournament open to every body, regardless RsM/BF member or not? If so, how are you going to advertise?

3. How are you going make sure people only take one single shuttle? Let's say when called, the 1st pair comes up to collect one, then, later, the 2nd pair comes to get one also?

4. Please bear in mind that many are on trip/work during summer. It'll therefore be difficult to find the "perfect" tournament date.

Little details yes, but they can still be a pain. Anyway, if you need help or volunteers, I'm ready to give you a hand!

And btw, you have a few typos on the website: "Amateru" (amateur) and on your Weekender page, one place says the schedule is "Sat. 6pm-10pm" while on the left colum, it's written "Sat 2-10pm" :confused:

6. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Thanks for the suggestions and the typo notes everyone, I'm actually going to really pull this togther, and the officiall annoucement of the tourney should be up and ready within a day or two... stay tuned and thanks for all your support!

7. raptorman

raptorman Regular Member

Good luck, your motivation is admirable :)

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    A pretty good guide is to think "what things would I like in a tournament as a competitor?"

9. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Hey all,

It's been a while since this thread was up. Just as an update on old news. It's been almost 2 years since the original tournament...

I recently joined this website called www.Facebook.com which is a sort of 'social networking' website. On this site i've started up a group for the RsM players. And i've just now uploaded the old photos from the original RsM Amatuer Open Tournament. So if you participated back then, check out the facebook link and check out the pictures!

If you're a facebook members join the group too, and maybe you can help to identify some of the faces in the pictures since I don't know all the names!

The link to the facebook group is:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2225746717

As I know it, there are actually a handful of BCers hidden in the photos, it's like playing where's waldo.

Looking back at this thread, I totally forgot how many people offered me advice on how to start this tournament, and I'm doubly grateful now that the club has been running for almost two years. I couldn't have pulled off the club (nevermind just the tournament) or the co-op store if it weren't for the help of BC members!

Please join the facebook group and send in your pictures!

10. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Seems I need to register to get in. Can you send an invitational link something, which allow the pic to be shown in the public, w/o registration. :rolleyes:

Great job for the club and tourny! ;)

11. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Hi, I'm reviving this thread

I'm about to organize a small corporate dual meet this coming 3rd week of April.

It's going to be Manila vs. Laguna.

I've gotten a few pointers in this thread. I'm asking if you have more ideas on how to organize such an event. What are the things that I have to remember?

I've only gotten this far.

1. Prepare the schedule (please see attachment).

2. Lay out a rough draft of the general rule (see below).
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BADMINTON DUAL MEET (Laguna vs Manila)
    PLAYERS
    1. There will be 2 teams --- Team Manila and Team Laguna.
    2. Each team will have representatives for the following:
    a.Three disciplines --- men’s doubles (MD), women’s doubles (WD), mixed doubles (XD);
    b.Three levels --- A, B, C;
    c.Two brackets for each level--- 1, 2 (e.g., A1 and A2, B1 and B2, and C1 and C2).

3. Double entry for two different disciplines is allowed provided that the player is only one step higher or lower from his/her MD/WD’s level (e.g., WDB1 can play in XDA1 or XDC1, but WDA1 cannot play in XDC1).

Rules and regulations

1.Standard badminton rules apply (see attached badminton_law.pdf).

2.Each game is played to 21 points.

3.The pair with two games won wins the match (best of three).

4.Setting is allowed; that is, if the score reaches 20-all, then the game continues until one side gains a 2-point lead (such as 24-22), up to a maximum of 30 points (30-29 is a winning score).

5.A pair will compete against the opposing team’s two brackets of the same level.

6.For each match won, 3 points will be added to the team’s total score.

7.For each match lost, 1 point will be added to the team’s total score.

8.For players who lose by default, no point will be added to the team’s total score.

9.Players who are not on court within 5 minutes after they are called shall be considered default.

10.Players who withdraw during the game shall have no points added to the teams’ total score.

11.The team with the highest total score shall be considered the Team Champion.

In case of a tie, declaration of Team Champion will be based on the following in order:
    1.number of wins minus number of loses;

2.number of games won minus games lost (two consecutive games won = 3 points, winner with three sets = 2 points, loser with three sets = 1 point, loser with two sets = 0 point);

3.point system, that is, the total number of winning points of all the pairs (winner automatically gets 42 points; loser gets the sum of the two games lost).
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I haven't tackled the following:
    • umpire and line judges,
    • awards,
    • brand and number of shuttlecocks,
    • budget and registration fee,
    • food and drinks,
    • T-shirts,
    • courts,
    • score sheets and list of overall match control.
    Is there anything else that I'm forgetting?
    To those who are experienced in this, please help. Thanks :)

Attached Files:

12. alexh

alexh Regular Member

You mean that if a close match finishes 26-24, 25-23 then the winner gets 42 and the loser gets 47???

13. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Wow, thank you for correcting that. I may have to restructure the sentence. But you get my point right?

I'd appreciate it if you find any more loopholes. :)

14. 14players

14players Regular Member

Engineer
    ...this is interesting....i also want to know .......how/where to get the score chart

15. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    What score chart? This one?

scoresheet.jpg