Net Kill Smash: with or without pronation?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by LenaicM, Mar 24, 2019.

1. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

I tend to loose more points than I should in the following situation in beginner/intermediate play and would like to ask advices on how to properly execute a net kill smash.

Situation:
    - Player A smashes.
    - Player B defends with a block but the shuttle is a bit high, say 1/1.5 meter above the net and about to land around the service line inside the court of the player A.
    - Player A have enough time to reach the shuttle properly to smash a second time and make sure to take the point. It seems like an easy point in theory.

Question:
    Should the player A smash by doing a kind of strong push/smash where no pronation is involved or on the contrary use pronation like a regular smash?

I have trouble killing at the net in the situation of the player A. Whether I do a soft push and drop the shuttle between the net and the service line of my opponent's court (my highest chance of success) or push harder to "smash" using my wrist like a drive somehow but without pronation and see the shuttle often lands deep in my opponent's court but also often outside the court. If I try to smash properly with pronation, and I have time as I'm talking about the situation where the shuttle is still high enough - 1/1.5 meters - and where the shuttle is in front of me yet not that close to the net but around the service line of my side of the court, well in most case I see the shuttle landing in the net.

I'm ok when the shuttle is in the middle of the court or by the net but when it is around the service line it is just a weird situation for me and I fail to kill those points easily. Thanks for your inputs! :)

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Yeah, this is also a tough one for me and many of us. Sort of in between full smash with pronation vs a net kill tap with finger power.

Recently I've been watching and learning from how the pros do it in such a situation. This is where instead of trying to force it with brute power, it is better to use a bit of deception with a final split second turn of the racket face with a reverse sliced smash. Either that or show a full blooded power smash but fake it and block to the net.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

LenaicM likes this.
  3. Kento

Kento Regular Member

Sliced or angled wrist smash without pronation works every time for me.

LenaicM likes this.
  4. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

I would be going for the in-between - basically a clip/stick smash. Enough power to be significantly threatening, but enough control to 1) get it steep, 2) get it accurate, 3) allow you to recover for the lucky return.

LenaicM likes this.