NEW: Fixed Height Experiment for Service

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by CantSmashThis, Jan 10, 2013.

1. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

The December 2012 BWF council meeting has added the following rule change to the rule book. Note that this rule is listed as an EXPERIMENT. How they will go about experimenting it, I'm not sure of, but it tackles the definition of the waist line for service. It seems like they will test out a suggestion that some BC'ers have made. The experimental rule is:

The whole shuttle shall be below 1.10m (approx 3ft 7in. for us Americans) from the surface of the court at the instant of being hit by the server's racket.

So what are your opinions? How well do you think this experiment will be; will it be a future permanent addition to the rulebook?

You can read that rule here: http://bwfbadminton.org/page.aspx?id=14915 in the Amendments to GCR in track changes... then by clicking Laws of Badminton

Edit: I measured myself according to this new service rule, I'm 5' 7", from the old definition of lowest rib, I get an extra inch to serve now

#1 CantSmashThis, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  2. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Interesting. But still subjective unless they are going to use some laser measurer at the server's moment of impact.

3. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Sounds like a great idea, at least they are attempting to address the situation so well done. The first thing that comes to mind though is some of the tall Russian lads are going to be hitting from wayyy down and on the other side of it some of the Asian girls will be able to serve from neck height. In conclusion I think shorter players will probably gain an unfair advantage.

4. mapcar

mapcar Regular Member

i like it. Although i don't know how I or anyone else will be able to measure the 1.1m while umpiring a match, it is much better than the imaginative "waist". Maybe before each match, the umpire will literally draw a line on the player's shirt at the 1.1m mark? lol.

@fidget, i don't think the rule itself is subjective. it's kind of like the definition of the court. the Shuttle is either in or out. but if humans are asked to apply the rule, it is always subjective to some extend, no matter how objective the rule itself is.

5. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

They could marker the net post or give them a little pole to look at on same eyline. That would be fairly accurate

6. mapcar

mapcar Regular Member

@craigandy,

i don't see how anyone can gain an advantage, if everyone is hitting from 1.1m from the ground?

it is still wayyyyy below the net, so, even if you are only 1.4m tall, you still have to hit the bird up in order for it to go over the net, whether it be an over-head shot or not. you CANNOT smash it.

7. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

A line on the net makes a lot of sense. Could judge height from many angles ( except from where service judge sits. LOL)

8. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

Its not an unfair advantage if they all serve at the same height. How the rules are now, shorter (waisted) people are the ones at a disadvantage. Kind of weird since it will force taller players into a possibly lower posture which will be unnatural. I didnt see it being that big of an issue. To me, this is part of being an athlete and dealing with (no pun-intended) short comings.

9. mapcar

mapcar Regular Member

i love it. and during tv broadcasts, they can do the NFL style firstdown line!

10. CantSmashThis

A little carried away with this statement: So does that mean the opponent can throw a challenge flag and have the service reviewed? hahaha

Back onto topic: I wonder how this will be for local tournaments that don't have umpires. How can you tell where 1.10m is on your opponent?

#10 CantSmashThis, Jan 10, 2013
  11. mapcar

mapcar Regular Member

you bet cha.

Well, the firstdown line is for entertainment purposes only, in my version.

BWF will need to first institutionalized the concept of "review" before any challenge flags can be issued. Do they also lose timeouts if they lose a challenge?

12. mapcar

mapcar Regular Member

I would assume it would be enforced the same way as the waist line rule is enforced today. which is to say, almost not at all.

13. mapcar

mapcar Regular Member

now that i am thinking about it, this is what I would do.

First of all, I would keep the service rules pretty much unchange for singles matches. I don't think the waist line is ever an issue. And even if somebody is service a little bit higher, the advantage that can be gained, is very little, if any at all.

Secondly, for doulbes and mixed doubles, I would completely illegalize the short serve. In other words, I will move the front service line to the current back service line, and the back service line to the singles back service line. and the serve has to be (let me just throw out a number) at least 25 feet high.

So, what this means is, the server side will be at a defensive position from the get go. get ready to be smashed upon. and this is how every point will start in doubles.

Does this take away alot from the game? yes. I fully admit that.

but i think we also gain alot. Rallies will last longer. The point will likely not end very quickly. we won't have to deal with the occasional flip serve (which i hate, but i respect if you like it). and, we will never have to worry about this whole waistline mess.

14. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

I think there is an advantage for 2 reasons.

1. the shorter folk probably won't have to adjust to the new rule as they will already be compliant

2. It is harder the further down you go, further away from your eyes also more of a loopin motion(if you understand) the further down you have to reach.

I think it will be tough for the really tall

15. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Actually just measured on myself i am 5'11.5'' and 1.1m came up to my lower rib. How high are your ribs for 5'7''?????

16. mapcar

mapcar Regular Member

all this rib talk is making mapcar very hungry.

17. CantSmashThis

My lowest rib is at 3ft 6in. Approx 1.0666m

18. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Fair enough I must have short legs or low ribs:D

by the way the lowest rib we talk of in badminton, is it the small lowest rib that is almost completely on the side of your body?

#18 craigandy, Jan 10, 2013
  19. CantSmashThis

From what I've learned through umpiring, your lowest rib is approx where your elbow is if you're standing straight with your arms at your sides.

20. visor

visor Regular Member

here let's see if I can help....:p [​IMG]