new forum software!

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback' started by kwun, Mar 27, 2004.

1. Traum

Traum Regular Member

The three big tabs at the top are certainly convenient, but considering that BadmintonCentral isn't updated that frequently, and that BadmintonReview is somewhat flakey, I'd say the loss isn't too significant.

I like the old forum a bit better because it was cleaner and simpler. But the new look has a very "Spring"-like feeling to it. Maybe I'll grow to like it?

-Rick

2. - 73* -

- 73* - Regular Member

great work kwun!

really great new colours...all nice and blue!!! ;) ;) ;)

3. Traum

Traum Regular Member

The "New Posts" function isn't the same as the old "Today's Active Threads" function though. It only lists out the threads that are new / have received new replies since you have last visited. For lazy bums such as myself (opps... I guess I've just labeled 604badder as well :D ), the old "Today's Active Threads" is definitely more convenient.

-Rick

4. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    I'd say that the site looks pretty good, improved a lot in the department of looks. But as said earlier, one needs to get used to it. No point complaining now. I like the emoticons - they are more expressive, more accurate.

And the message editor box is spiffy!

Either way, I'd say this is a step in the correct direction - to add ease of use to the site. Slowly, it drifts away from the overly formal setup to a more consumer friendly kind of look.

Well done, kwun. You have my vote! ;)

But what's with the blue and greenish faces? :)

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i feel exactly the same, what i usually do when i open BF is click the "today's post" . so i have changed the "new posts" to "today's posts"

gonna fix up more things tonight. stay tuned.. :)

6. Traum

Traum Regular Member

Awesome, kwun. You're tops!!!

-Rick

7. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

pretty cool forum software. i think i'll need some time to get used to the design and all.

8. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    whoa, what the? I just came back from TW and everything just changed !
    But I like the blue-style though, good job kwun! :)
    (now it's more Microsoft look like) :p

9. badmad

badmad Regular Member

wow... i really took sometime to realize that i had come to badminton forum... all new good looks... 3 cheers to kwun... :) ...
    btw, kwun, i suppose this software is an open source... how did u get this latest software?

10. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Everytime I login here, I get the urge to post post post!
    I hope it's nothing bad... ;)
    Only shows how much I like this new look. The only thing I find to be somewhat disagreeable are the colours of the emoticons. Blue, purple, green?

Does the software support style-sheet selection based on user account profiles? If possible it'd be good to be able to choose different looks based on our liking.

Just an idea, as I know it is possible for quite a few of the sites out there:

www.csszengarden.com
    www.brainjar.com

Thanks!
    Good work, o' Master of the Forums.

11. badmad

badmad Regular Member

new look badminton forum is cool... :cool: but the smiley surely make things out of my way... i somehow don't feel comfortable with these... not sure if kwun would reconsider to put old smileys back... it'd be better..

moreover, did u guys notice one more thing? earlier, if i had a PM, then, on the main page, it used to display as "1 new message" but currently I don't find any such thing... is it the case with only me? :confused:

12. da ding

da ding Regular Member

Student
    wah.... ho geng Kwun!

me gusta mucho... especially the smileys
    :) :rolleyes: :cool: :p ;) :D :eek: :eek: :( :mad:

good job, Kwun!

13. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Again more people talking about smileys, can someone please tell me which ones are new except the green grinner!

I have:

Frown, Mad, Smile, Roll Eyes, Cool, Stick out tongue, Wink, Big grin, Confused, Embarrasment and Eek!

All of which are the same old yellow ones

14. yowkee

yowkee Regular Member

Woa...I've not been here for a while....but I'd say: Awesome! I like the new interface ;) :D

15. 604badder

604badder Member

Full time badminton fanatic, and student
    Searching for new posts slow

Just curious, has anyone else noticed the search for new post function's slower to respond with the new software? Or is it just that we have so many posts here now a days the database's really straining :confused:

16. Traum

Traum Regular Member

I was following my usual ritual of clicking "Today's Posts" and reading up on the various posts when I realized that by going through the search, the new forum software automatically digs up other threads that have a similar topic, and places their links below the page that I was reading. Very, very convenient!

-Rick

17. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    LOL, i saw that message too around 4:30am. I vaguely remembering rubbing scuff marks off my badminton rackets. Don't know why i was doing it at that time of the morning :confused: Couldn't tell i was dreaming or not until i inspected my rackets today. ;)

18. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    I like the pastelly look too and wish that badminton mats come in this color too instead of the previous bold lawn green color. I have seen it used in tennis court and this blue looks great. I know you all have expressed appreciation of kwun's effort, same here :) I also like to say thanks to janet for mellowing out kwun (pastelly mood) and let him work into the wee hours of the morning to do these upgrades :D ;)

19. prophet

prophet Regular Member

teacher
    good look

Nice job Kwun. I like the new look and colors. The site seems to load faster for me too (just mho).

20. ynexfan2003

ynexfan2003 Regular Member

Part time (unpaid) wine tester
    I'm sorry, but I don't like the software at all. The site takes much longer to load (even though I'm on broadband), generally the interface is horrible and difficult to use (there is no reply button for private messages, the normal functions are poorly arranged and not conveniently placed for easy access, and the site itself looks like a non-serious kiddie site, which means that I won't be able to access it when I'm at Uni. and I suspect that some people will be reluctant to visit the site while at work).

I don't understand why it had to be changed; the old software worked reasonably well, and there are no significant additional functions with the new software. At the least, it shouldn't look like a boy-band-loving teenager's wallpaper.