Thanks for visiting us!

Badminton Central is a free community for fans of badminton! If you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community users, it takes less than 15 seconds! Everybody is welcome here.

Click here for a FREE account!

New Li Ning Rackets (3D Calibar, TurboCharging, Aeronaut)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by sholean, Jul 18, 2018.

1. sholean

sholean Regular Member

Here is a LiNing catalogue which contains all racket specifications of the new naming scheme

2018 Catalogue

There is also a video that explains how the naming scheme works

Naming Scheme

Cheers.

It'sMeMeMe, swsh, decoy and 3 others like this.
  2. gkteong

gkteong Regular Member

Thanks for the information.

3. robfitsy

robfitsy Regular Member

Good stuff. Thanks for that, it can be quite some work trying to find LiNing's documentation for non-Chinese speaking folks.

4. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

The 3D Calibar 900B (292 mm) and the 3D Calibar 600B (290 mm) sound very interesting. But judging from the paintjob they are derivatives of the N90IV? Sorry, didn't have the time yet to get used to the new naming system.

5. sholean

sholean Regular Member

The 3D Calibar 900B is exactly the N90IV.
    The 3D Calibar 600B probably is a more easy to play version - I think previously those lower speced rackets used to have the letters TD after the usual name. Like N90IV TD or for the even older N90II there used to be a S-Type. The 600 series should be one of those down-speced versions.

swsh and Rob3rt like this.
  6. llrr

llrr Regular Member

According to the racquet chart, 900C is significantly head heavier than 900. *goes to look at the specs* -> 900 has BP of 308mm, 900C has BP of 302mm. Logic.

7. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

They go a long way to introduce and explain the 2/3/4-digit numbering plus extended D/C/B/I categorisation. And then you find this in the catalogue, without any further explanation:
    upload_2018-7-19_9-8-48.png

Where the hell does that "Extreme" now come from all of a sudden?! And looking at the specs - how should that racket deserve that special position (except the max tension)?!

I can only repeat what I've said before. The numbering would be really good if they had stopped after the numbers. They have totally overdone it with the extended categorisation letters at the end.

decoy likes this.
  8. Genkz

Genkz Regular Member

While it is true that the new system is complex, isn't it what a lot of us were looking for? How often have I read statements like "I like the new n9ii very much, if it were only a tad stiffer" or "the n7ii is great just a bit more headweight"
    Li-Ning is delivering just that, you have a racket you like and it exists in a small number of nuances. Sure we need to get used to it, but as of now we although get good data of stiffness, balance point and weight.
    Our all times fitting statement of "feel is different for everyone, you have to try it yourself" will always stand true but at least we now have good options.

Okaharu, dtjovan and sholean like this.
  9. dtjovan

dtjovan Regular Member

They didnt explain Extreme but 75 and 75EX has been placed side by side in LN chart - 75 / 75EX.
    From what I see, the specs are the exactly the same and differences are the colour.

sholean likes this.
  10. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

The 75 has a max tension of 32 lbs., the 75EX is rated up to 35 lbs. Guess that's what makes it extreme. No idea though how they would make it more robust without having to add more carbon or changing any other spec parameter along with it.

dtjovan likes this.
  11. dtjovan

dtjovan Regular Member

Oh yeah, U've got me. Thks for spotting.

12. Genkz

Genkz Regular Member

Maybe they use loadspreading grommets to achieve higher tensions for that model.

13. llrr

llrr Regular Member

I thought ultra strong was their high tension lineup.. not extreme. Then again, I love how all high end LN racquets are rated up to 32lbs. I still don't get how some of the specs don't reflect their positions on the chart.

14. robfitsy

robfitsy Regular Member

Me2. Does anyone know how to make sense of that shaft stiffness figure?

15. esppy

esppy Regular Member

You know, trying to stare at a screen with all these different names on a PDF really has nothing compared to me standing face to face with the frames at the brand booth at Singapore Open.

I'll completely ignore prices because I start to kill kittens and pups when I see RRP of over USD$200 per frame, in a spoilt, pampered area of the world in terms of badminton goods. And I know where to get anything on that damn shelf for less, much less. Or maybe call it stomach-able.

I look at all those frames hanging there; some look familiar (hi TC75 and TC70) but it's only because I recognise their original paint jobs, that one reference point to "oh hey it's FHF and ZN OG2016 kit". And then I try to find for their second/third colors. Nowhere to be found. Okay, I thought. So they stopped production (of the N9ii/N7ii subsequent colors?) Shame if they did.
    And then the rest I'm like, okay, I know you, let's think.... nah f*ck it, I don't. Who're you? What are you? 75C? 900B? 900C? I?

Switching on the "dumb fanboy marketing" mode, I try to find a association... Chen Long? Ahsan? Rian? Who uses this? I cannot come to an answer. Because LN, you, push me to think that Ahsan is on N90IV in 2017 and Setiawan's signature is a N7ii (*hah he uses a N9ii in Combat, pun intended), and they're not on the shelves nor a big hugeass standee with his face and country and bracket with the new frame you want me to buy into that he's using. I end up just trying to piece together colorways with names I don't even know what's happening. Like a kid's game of matching the shape to the hole, figuratively.

I then leave. Even if I really really wanted to splash the dough, I don't know which one is for me, and thats with my due diligence that I know what I want at this point in my badminton life. So I covered my half of the coin and LN's new scheme cannot put two and two together and close the sale. Pretty much the no-no of a marketing 101?

Coming from an era where my understanding of HH and stiffness of the high end LN series is already f*cking thin, like how N99 and N9 don't mean 89 racket pieces apart, and N50 is not some midrange that sucks compared to the N90iii, man, this solves nothing. Salesmen on the floor only know to tell me "good price, best price, with string and grip, very good for doubles" (because that's what 95% of us do, no?). Oh and the generic "awesomely great for smashing" cliché.

So from my single perspective at least, their marketing is now a complete f*ckup. Fanboys cannot find what they want to blindly copy(that side is cut, maybe time will fix it but long AF), people who know what they want cannot determine which fits best without at least half an hour pinpointing and consulting salesmen who, first and foremost, don't play badminton, and just throws the catalog at you and look with you together page by page. (Calibar, TC, AN.... what? BCI? And that no letter version?)

Either way you get my point. They done f*cked up good.

At this juncture I come up with 2 theoretical reactions I myself would do if I:
    -Already am a LN fan/user/diehard: Start sweeping the nice N numbered shaft-ed frames. Who knows, it may go up in value maybe. And I know what's what, still.
    -Trying to adopt LN as a new brand, possibly go-to: NOPE LOL. Bye. I'm here for badminton, not mathematical inference.

Yonex sticks to the tried and tested method of numbers going higher, and shaft getting stiffer. And hints of the series characteristics, where it matters.
    Victor starts a new series but uses what's gone and past to reference their new series (was Jetspeed, but now looking at you AuraSpeed, even if you're nowhere as fast, but that's another topic for another day). You have a past point to get a bloody idea.
    LN..... their N series already was a mess, this cleanup operation only makes things worse than it already is. Meh.

If anyone here knows their cars, Audi's new 25-70 badges are exactly this LN f*ckup. You essentially look at the number badge and need to look it up extensively (google) for it's actual meaning. No this does NOT help. Not exactly fast food ordering, is it?

BTW, I saw the catalog and vaguely remembered the Xiphos X1 black/white were different. Now, it's the same Mid Flex shaft. Black no longer is "Hard Flex". Just the color. You cheeky little *bleep*... LN. I mean, this cockup really is just a small needle in a messy haystack, eh?

Proof of the original release picture here, for comparo. Have fun scrolling the PDF for the new stats.
    [​IMG]

redeye303, s_mair and Rob3rt like this.
  16. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

You might have a point with the N-rackets going up in price and becoming collectibles.

17. esppy

esppy Regular Member

Trust me, the wow and mmmm oooooh ahhhh factor when looking at a shaft that says TurboCharging N9ii vs TurboCharging 75 albeit in the same blue black pink colorway, at least to me, is worlds apart.

At the back of my head seeing the 75 makes me infer it as something midrange and immediately want to look for 80,85,90,99 for comparison. But it's not. No way sir.

It's like a plastic surgery gone awry.

18. dtjovan

dtjovan Regular Member

Sir, the quality sucks?
    Im looking into trying TC 95C and 900C.
    Currently mainly a singles player n using LDF 3U.

^^

19. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Wow, that was one passionate rant! :D

Here's my theory about what happenend in Li-Ning headquarters:

Step 1)
    They get a regular "market feedback" that their product structure is intransparent and hard to understand for non-nerds. In reality, the only thing that was missing was concistency in spec listings and maybe a better spec sheet structuring (why not be the first brand to introduce swing weight figures?!).

Step 2)
    The bosses decide: "We need to do something about this because we could sell more rackets!". And then comes the biggest mistake - they hire expensive external consultants that (I guarantee) have no deeper understanding about badminton in general, don't care about the brand's product history and even less about rackets, to create a new numbering system from scratch. But only for the most popular N-Series (plus TD/TF variants...) of course - nobody really cares about the other gazillion of completely random mid to low range rackets.

Step 3)
    A couple of months have passed and the consultants present their new numbering system. Opener on slide 2 of their presentation: "Erase history! Quickly!" which is of course one of the biggest mistakes anyone do in marketing. Nobody in their right mind would seriously consider to instantly remove a well known product name like let's say a Porsche 911 and simply keep selling the exact same car under a different name. And let's face it - even if it might not have been a very transparent and consistent product structure, it was the N-series that had built up a certain image over the years, mostly with its high number of pro endorsers. And it's to a huge extent the image that sells products like badminton rackets, hands down. I know perfectly well that it doesn't have any influence on the racket performance, but I cannot deny that there was this little spark in my head when I first held an N9II that told me that FHF has won the Olympics with that racket (or at least a racket that was "close" to it :p). In no way rational, but human nature.

Step 4)
    The new numbering system itself (if they only followed it consistently!) might not even be the worst. It allows them to release even more racket variants than before while still keeping a certain order and logic. The N-series has never followed the rule "higher number = higher end racket", so I don't even see this as a big issue.
    On the other hand, I see a big risk that if they do not have the needed discipline, it could end up far more confusing than it was before. And as described, apparently they still haven't solved some of their issues with spec listings. No clue how they define their "shaft solidity" rating - as far as I could see, all values are between 8.2 and 8.7, so what's the point?

In my opinion, they should have taken more time for the introduction of their new system bit by bit with the release of new rackets. And for god's sake, they should have stayed away from instantly killing and re-labeling their best selling racket names.

And while they were at it, they could have started to muck out their mid-/low range series along with it. Just look at all those soulless bats that come after page 36 in the catalogue. I 've just counted them: 117 different rackets! Okay, a lot of them are just color variant, but still. Let me say it with the wise words of The Hoff:

[​IMG]
    ...this is a mess!

#19 s_mair, Jul 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    esppy likes this.
  20. Adi Tariono

Adi Tariono Regular Member

First thank you for Sholean for sharing Lining catalog 2018, I'm a fan of Lining racket and already have almost all the N-series. hehehehe

I think lining is try to break or make more specific and more regular the old category of them specially the N-series.

The old one only have 2 category the N-series (high end) and non N-series (mid - low end) except razor series is a little different and from what I see they first step for this new category is from razor series category that the more bigger number the more high end.

First they divide to 3 main character : Power ( 3D calibar), Control ( Aeronaut), Speed (Turbo charging).
    Second they divide the character into : Drive, Boost, Combat and Instinct. ( I think this is their biggest mistake because it making more confuse, until now I still looking for the meaning of this).

But I notice that Lining still keep the N-series and non N-series category, only the high end series that have Drive, Boost, Combat and Instinct category it mean this is the N-series(in the old category). It's mean the other is non N-series.

But Lining always forget something in their catalog, this time they forget to put information technology for the Material, Construction and skill of each racket. they only state Carbon Fiber. hahahahahah. So you must see the racket in Physically to know the technology they used.

But the good thing is they fix the category in the new number ex: the bigger number is more high end, and I must say that they pick the strange combination. ( I think they don't want use the old combination like N-10, N-20, N30, etc). I think understandable because if they use the old number it will become more confused for the player that already have or used lining racket to choose the new ones, it is much easier to make the new one than to fix the old one that already in all Lining user mind. heheheheh ( like me for example)

The biggest disapointing for me is not the category but the technology they use it is almost the same like the old one no improvement. ex: 3D Calibar is same with 3D Breakfree tech, Aeronaut is same with Airstream tech, and last Turbo chargingis still the same.

I hope Lining can improve new technology in the near future.

I think that is all for me, but still this is my personal opinion.

I'm very sorry if I offend somebody in this forum.

Best regards,

s_mair likes this.