New System ?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by ants, Jul 15, 2005.

1. DaN_fAn

DaN_fAn Regular Member

I think that should be the idea.And the proposed scoring system does not really provide that many breaks.
    my suggestion for a scoring system is 11x5 rally point scoring system which means the matches will be neither too long nor too short and is perfect for breaks.
    One more thing,I know no one likes the idea but i am for rally point system.

2. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Regarding proposed changes by IBF..

On this issue, here's my take..

I see the point of Mr. Gunalan trying to be creative with the game by experimenting with the scoring system and changing some rules, which is to promote and offer the game even more. But we've seen it before tried a couple or so yrs. ago and it didn't do much either.

I personally do not know who actually started the scoring system and set the rules for badminton. Was it by the person who "invented" the sport??Or some other people afterwards who collectively sit down and drawn up a draft on how they will do the scoring and what the rules will be. But as far as i know, in the U.S., sports like NBA, NFL, Baseball have always had somekind of scoring system which was started and established earlier on along with whoever was the "inventor". In the eventual yrs. and decades, yes, a few of the rules and scoring system have changed, but it was very limited.

The thing with the current scoring system in badminton is that, most people who are beginners and/or are starting to learn and have been playing, have been and/or already been embedded with the "official" scoring system. To change it drastically will not only affect the game but also the people who are playing and have been playing. But rather than trying to change something that's already, in a sense, "set in stone" or embraced by so many people, IBF should promote the sport through more "creative" competitive tournaments with more "prize value". Esp. their recent announcement that they are thinking of starting an International League. To me, that's a very intriguing idea. Esp. now, that there are sponsors who are willing to offer even "more money" for the championship. I also think, what IBF is doing now with opening up more International Training Facilities, is a wonderful idea. With 3 already running full-time and 2 coming soon, it will definitely increase the popularity of the sport. Just look at the number of international players being trained at those facilities.

IMO, I think with the current IBF efforts to reach out to the new generation of young kids coming up and esp. after the 2008 Olympics, i have a feeling badminton will continue to grow even better, even without any changes in the scoring system or the rules. I think the key now is the U.S., how will the people or population in the U.S. develop the sport even more, esp. after given a chance to show it here. I have a strong feeling if the U.S. can "jumpstart" this sport, worldwide it will have a lot of ripple effects, as countries will see the U.S. as now fully embracing the sport. Now, we shall see what the U.S. population will do to improve and increase the popularity of the sport here after the WC.

#22 ctjcad, Jul 16, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2005
  3. other

other Regular Member

Student
    what was the point of changing the rules again? was it so make the game more tv-friendly? sheesh, just let the tv stations insert adverts into the live broadcast then, and if we miss anything too important they can play it back during a towel-down or change of ends...

Saying that the current method of scoring is complicated is kinda stupid as well. People who have never seen golf, tennis, even various football and rugby rules would not fully understand what's going on, so that is the job of the commentator to add bits of info while commentating as well.

bottom line is that badminton as a sport isn't popular enough in western countries which have the big TV broadcasters (generally speaking), not that it isn't tv-friendly enough.

#23 other, Jul 16, 2005
  4. MikeJ

MikeJ Regular Member

IT Consultant
    I agree that the scoring system shouldn't be changed and that the real problem is the fact that badminton isn't popular in the US / west.

BUT I feel that if the IBF really wants to change the scoring system, the best compromise is to allow "time-outs" per player or team. At least in this way, there won't be any need to make a game shorter or to change long established aspects of the game.

The players take informal time-outs anyway when they ask the umpire if they can towel down, or take a drink, or when they want the court to be mopped. At least if the time-outs are allotted with known durations, TV stations can easily program commercials during the time-outs.

When I watched the MVP Cup, everyone in the badminton hall / stadium wanted a LONG, GOOD, EXCITING MATCH. No one felt that the games were taking too long.

Please critique this idea. I acknowledge that I'm no expert. I'm just a fan of the sport. :D

#24 MikeJ, Jul 16, 2005
  5. LolAlan

LolAlan Regular Member

Student
    I'm sure I'm not the only that think this whole ordeal rediculous... I can't think of badminton in any of those proposed terms. As for promoting the sport, you don't really need to do anything fancy, just gotta let time take care of that. Badminton will continue to gain popularity because it is such a good sport, requring a variety of skills and demands much of the body. Changing the rules is unnecessary; it just rouses a insecurity (and a slight annoyance i might add) in those who are already into the original system, like poor old me. :(

6. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    This 21 points system is actually best of 3 sets.

7. Trance

Trance Regular Member

Student ;)
    Err. Nvm what I said lol.