Newbie Racket Recommendation

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by EnnnV, Jan 19, 2015.

1. EnnnV

EnnnV New Member

Student
    Hello I'm fairly new to the forum here, however i have gone through the "BC Guide to Choosing Badminton Equipment" by kwun, along with crawshaws's post on "Badminton Racket Selecting Factors". Other than that, I've gone through several articles on choosing a racket.

So I'm a fairly new player, however i would like to get into the sport as there are facilities at my university that allow for this. So i would like a racket that has some potential for personal improvement room. I tend to play more aggressively (or so i think). I'm more interested in performance over durability, and i'm willing to spend a fair amount. I have a part-time job at a general goods store that caries quite the range of rackets (mostly Yonex), and can get 45-65% off the retail price here in Canada.

I've played with two entry level rackets (Muscle Power 7 & Nanospeed 100) and definitely prefer MP7 (cause head-heavy?). I'm unable to test out many rackets so if possible, recommend based off given information.

From my research I've personally narrowed it down to the Voltric lineup, specifically the VT70 (non-etune) and the VT5 3/4U. I'm leaning towards the VT70 as it seems to be a slightly higher tier and will not cost me too much more. This is because i believe a medium flex/head heavy may help with my shot power as a beginner (correct me if I'm wrong?). I plan to string BG80 (I don't have much choice here) at about 20-21lb.

Thoughts and possibly any recommendations? if i have not included enough information please elaborate and I'll attempt to update.

Thanks! :)

2. bestindigital

bestindigital Regular Member

Data Engineer
    Is it possible for you to try these two out - perhaps from other players at the university? Between these 2, I'd definitely go for the VT70 if it's not too much more than the lower end VT5.

3. EnnnV

EnnnV New Member

Student
    Thanks for the input, i doubt i'd be able to find these two specifically. Which is why i was hoping to do as much research possible to compensate for lack of in-hand testing.

4. funkdrummer

funkdrummer Regular Member

Student
    Are you in the GTA by any chance? If so, buy your rackets at Canuck Badminton and Max Sports (They don't charge tax, reasonably priced rackets).

Yonex has a good few entry level-intermediate rackets but I would suggest looking at other brands as well.

I'd like to know about your budget as that may help out :p

5. bestindigital

Data Engineer
    I've only used the ZForce in the Voltric line and it's very very different from what I've been used to - the ArcSaber 11. I have to use a lot more power to get powerful smashes from the Force, but it's interesting to note how different they are.

Both V70 and V5 have good reviews. If the price difference between two is not much, then I'd just go for the V70.

6. EnnnV

EnnnV New Member

Student
    Im in Calgary, the other side of Canada. I'm looking to spend about $140-$200 retail price (without discount). Just to give an idea, the Voltric 70 Frame sits at about $200 and the Voltric 5 is about $110.

7. EnnnV

EnnnV New Member

Student
    Do you know why it is that you have to put more force into a ZForce compared to an Arcsaber? From what i have looked into, the Voltric line should be easier to get power out of with a bit more head-heaviness (assuming stiffness and other factors equal). I chose the Voltric line because i thought it'd give me that extra bit of power assuming i can use it to it's extent.

8. visor

visor Regular Member

Playing plastic? Male, strong muscles? You'll be fine with VT70 and BG80 at those tensions.

9. bestindigital

Data Engineer
    It has to do with my smashing action. I can get good power from a flexible shaft racket. With the stiff rackets, I've read that you get better results with a whip-like action. I am practicing both styles now so I can handle all kinds of rackets. I also got all my rackets strung with BG-80 at 25 lbs. I like more control, but this is also a likely reason why I have to use more force.

#9 bestindigital, Jan 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  10. EnnnV

EnnnV New Member

Student
    Thank you for your reply.

Yes, playing plastic, sorry i forgot to mention. Male player, decently strong for weight (~130lb/59kg) in my opinion as i play many other sports as well. Although my technique is definitely not up to par so that may reduce the amount of power i am able to put into my shots.

11. EnnnV

EnnnV New Member

Student
    Ah i see, generally do beginners tend to use one form over another to generate power? To my understanding i had just thought that beginners were generally unable to handle stiff rackets.

12. visor

visor Regular Member

It has to do with explosiveness of your stroke. The more compact and explosive, the stiffer you'll need.

13. EnnnV

EnnnV New Member

Student
    That makes sense, thanks for the input!

14. bestindigital

Data Engineer
    For training, some coaches prefer a much heavier racket, so the trainee gets stronger. Once the basic muscle memory is built up, then, depending on whether you're mostly an aggressive attacking player, net player or a mix of both, you can opt for a head heavy, head light or balanced racket. I'm sure you can get used to any kind of racket with a bit of training and practice. When I do the whip-like action on my Z-Force, I get powerful smashes, but I automatically switch back to the more swinging action and letting the flexible shaft add more power and this doesn't go well with the Z-Force.

You sound like you prefer head-heavy rackets and can handle it. Maybe a head-heavy, medium-flex racket might fit me best. I'm still experimenting with stiff rackets.

15. EnnnV

EnnnV New Member

Student
    That sounds good to me, I was fairly sure of this, which is why i picked out those two in specific as they both match that criteria. Thank you for your time and input!

16. TeddyC

TeddyC Regular Member

( ●.●) --O #>

With 45-65% off $200, definitely go for VT70 for the price alone. Would also suggest 4u over the heavier 3u as 4u has enough head-heaviness for urself as a beginner.

Another racket recommendation would b Victor TK-6ooo 4u. It plays similar to VT70 with slightly stiffer shaft n a bit less head heavy. IME, it is faster n more stable than VT70. However, it seems to b out of production for so long that am not sure bout its availability of late. Its price is another factor to consider...

#16 TeddyC, Jan 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  17. visor

visor Regular Member

Heck, at 50% off a $200 VT70, I'd like to buy one too!

18. EnnnV

EnnnV New Member

Student
    I will look into to see if i can get the 4U over the 3U, as it isn't a specialized store i believe they will only have one weight of each model in stock. I don't believe Victor is going to be an option for me, nor the other brands as we don't carry it in stores.

Aha yeah, i can't get a discount on the stringing so it'll still put me back a bit. Can't complain though.

19. EnnnV

EnnnV New Member

Student
    One last question while I'm at it, there seems to be an ArcSaber11 Taufik Hidayat (http://www.badmintonalley.com/Yonex_ArcSaber_11TH_Arc11TH3UG5_Badminton_Racket_p/racket-yonex-arc-saber-11-th.htm) edition that i can get for the same price as the VT70. Would this be suitable at all? I was thinking not because it's stiffer and less head-heavy making it hard for a beginner like myself to generate the power. Thoughts?

20. visor

visor Regular Member

At your level, VT70 is probably better at power generation than Arc11. Arc11 would be more useful later on when you start playing faster flatter doubles rallies.