News About Malaysia Preparations For Asian Games

Discussion in 'Asian Games 2010 - Badminton' started by danielwong, Nov 8, 2010.

1. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman
    Thursday November 11, 2010

The Star
    Misbun: Extra attention will fan Chong Wei’s fire

WORLD No. 1 badminton player Lee Chong Wei is a big hit in Guangzhou. And coach Misbun Sidek welcomes the overwhelming attention on his charge.
    In fact, he is hoping that the extra spotlight would fan the fire in Chong Wei to raise his game at the Asian Games.
    It will be an achievement for Chong Wei to reach the final as his previous best was winning a bronze medal at the 2006 Doha Games.
    Yesterday, a large group of journalists from China turned up for the Malaysian team’s first training session at Tianhe Gymnasium to interview Chong Wei.
    And the 28-year-old Malaysian ace duly entertained them after going through a solid one-hour workout.
    Misbun said that two-time China Open runner-up Chong Wei was lapping up all the attention.
    “Chong Wei is an icon here. He has a great following and, naturally, the local media want to know more about him,” said Misbun.
    “In fact, people also take notice of him at the Games Village. And some are eager to get his autograph. It is good for the sport, and for Chong Wei.
    “Too much attention can be harmful but it all depends on how a player deals with it. And Chong Wei is handling it very well.”
    Misbun is also aware that there is a keen interest on Chong Wei because he is seen as one who can spoil the party for China.
    Chong Wei is seen as the biggest threat to Lin Dan, who is gunning for his first Asian Games men’s singles gold medal.
    In fact, the Asian Games title is the only major crown missing from Lin Dan’s collection.
    Second seed Lin Dan is in the same half as defending champion Taufik Hidayat of Indonesia, South Korean Park Sung-hwan and Mohd Hafiz Hashim of Malaysia.
    Chong Wei will have Chen Jin of China, Sony Dwi Kuncoro of Indonesia and Thailand’s Boonsak Ponsana in his half of the draw.
    Meanwhile, Misbun has given the competition venue the thumbs-up.
    “All the players had a good workout. There was a slight draught but it should be manageable,” he said. “Everything is looking good but it is also important how the players fare on match day.”
    Besides Chong Wei and Hafiz, the others in the men’s team are Chan Kwong Beng, Liew Daren, Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong, Mak Hee Chun-Tan Wee Kiong and Chan Peng Soon. The team competition will be played from Nov 13-16, followed by the individual events from Nov 17-21.

my comment: Proud of Chong Wei, with many followings in Guangzhou....

2. danielwong

Salesman
    Asian Games: Chong Wei has iconic status

NST, 11 Nov 2011

LEE Chong Wei's popularity in China is immense as the World No 1 is often seen signing autographs or having his picture taken by the local media and volunteers. The attention that Chong Wei receives, proves he is one of the most popular athletes in Guangzhou.

However, national coach Misbun Sidek hopes this will not affect Chong Wei's focus and chances of delivering medals.

"Chong Wei is an icon here. Everyone wants to get a piece of him. Chong Wei, however, is handling it all quite well," said Misbun at the Tianhe Gymnasium in Guangzhou yesterday.

"It can either motivate him or put him under pressure. It depends how he absorbs the attention.

"For now, he is feeling comfortable with all the attention. I'm confident it won't affect him but anything can happen."

Chong Wei, who has been World No 1 since late 2008, is hoping to win his first title in China. The Penang-born shuttler, however, faces strong resistance from China's players, led by Olympic champion Lin Dan and Chen Jin, in the men's singles.

The 28-year-old, who has won eight titles this year, is the top seed.

Yesterday, the national squad tried out the Tianhe Gymnasium, which is the Asian Games badminton venue, for the first time and Misbun was happy with the conditions.

"We had our first training session at this nice venue. Our players also had a good feel of the place. It is important as the environment will be different on competition day. It is a good start ... we are happy with the venue," said Misbun.

"Personally, I felt warm and cold during training. A little draft with the wind shifting here and there but overall it is okay."

The national men's and women's squads start their campaign in the team event tomorrow.

Read more: Asian Games: Chong Wei has iconic status http://www.nst.com.my/nst/articles/osoijzb/Article#ixzz14vvfr6Tf

3. danielwong

Salesman
    Not to forget Choo-Choo Train

Asian Games: Mew Choo revitalised

NST, 11 Nov, 2010

THE critics had written off singles shuttler Wong Mew Choo after a series of disappointing results since winning the Super Series Masters late last year. But Mew Choo's reunion with her former coach Wong Tat Meng since September, has turned her fortunes around.

The World No 20 rediscovered her confidence by winning two silver medals at the New Delhi Commonwealth Games.

And now, she hopes to maintain her good performance in Guangzhou under Tat Meng, who coincidentally, helped her win the 2007 China Open, also in Guangzhou.

"My skills and footwork have improved under Tat Meng. I am more confident with my footwork as the new techniques help me avoid knee pains during matches," said Mew Choo at the Tianhe Gymnasium in Guangzhou yesterday.

"I did not take long to adjust to Tat Meng's training style as I was under him before. I am quite comfortable with him. Previously, my fitness was good but not my skills."

Mew Choo, who was previously coached by Misbun Sidek, is now eyeing a medal in her third Asian Games appearance.

"I will try my best and, hopefully, win a medal ... at least a bronze.

"I'm not thinking about the draw (women's singles) as I believe that who ever I face, will be equally determined to win a medal," she said.

In the women's singles, Mew Choo, who received a first-round bye, will face either Thailand's Salakjit Ponsana or Indonesia's Adriyanti Firdasari in the second round. She is also drawn in the same half with Japan's Eriko Hirose and China's Wang Xin. Mew Choo is also competing in the team event but the inexperienced Malaysian squad are not expected to make an impact. The team event starts tomorrow

4. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

wah... LCW is a superstar in GZ.... hope he will get cold feet... again.... BOLEH :)

5. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

39525_122949291099219_100001524465710_144834_572001_n.jpg

boleh! mas team looking very confident there:), which is a good sign:D

6. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Cant wait for the game to begin... ;)

7. kuwichert

kuwichert Regular Member

consultant
    I miss the uncle on the Mas men list? what's wrong? the man who has the best fighting spirit is not in the team, but they bring Yoyo - can't believe that. Did the uncle retire officially? Didn't here about that.
    So I'm going to watch him in Berlin on Sunday - think it would be better to see him playing in Guangzhou.

8. danielwong

Salesman
    I think uncle informed before his last national duty is Thomas Cup...so I think very unlikely he will be considered for national team events in the future...making way for the juniors

9. danielwong

Salesman
    Friday November 12, 2010

The Star
    Rexy wants Koo-Tan to beat bogey Korean pair in Guangzhou

AN early poser awaits men's doubles defending champions Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong in the individual badminton competition.
    South Koreans Ko Sung-hyun-Yoo Yeon-seong, whom the Malaysians have not beaten in two previous meetings, are in their quarter of the draw.
    If the match materialise, coach Rexy Mainaky is hoping for a reversal of fortunes for Kien Keat-Boon Heong.
    "One pair cannot go on winning forever.
    "There will be a day for a fall," he said.
    "In fact, Kien Keat-Boon Heong have experienced the same fate. They enjoyed a good run against Markis Kido-Hendra Setiawan of Indonesia, winning four consecutive times in two years but it ended at the 2008 Beijing Olympics.
    "This time, they have lost twice to the Koreans and if they meet again here in Guangzhou, I hope they will snap the losing streak."
    The fast-attacking pair of Sung-hyun-Yeon-seong beat Kien Keat-Boon Heong at the Open tournaments in Switzerland and Singapore this year.
    Top seeds Kien Keat-Boon Heong have a first-round bye.
    The Malaysians will open their campaign against India's S. Arattu–kulam-R. Kallyad Thazhatheveetti.
    The Koreans are expected to triumph over Japan's Hirokatsu Hashimoto-Noriyasu Hirata to get into the quarter-finals.
    The other notable pairs in the top half of the draw are China's Guo Zhengdong-Xu Chen, Taiwan's Fang Chieh-min-Lee Sheng-mu and Indonesians Mohd Ahsan-Alven Yulianto.
    In the other half with second seeds Markis-Hendra are world champions Cai Yun-Fu Haifeng of China, South Koreans Lee Yong-dae-Jung Jae-sung and Malaysia's Mak Hee Chun-Tan Wee Kiong.
    The badminton programme begins tomorrow with the team event while individual competition will be held from Nov 16-21.

10. danielwong

Salesman
    Lets Feel Good..

Friday November 12, 2010

The Star
    Hafiz holds key to Malaysia's early survival in team event

SHUTTLER Mohd Hafiz Hashim will be the key to Malaysia’s early survival in the men’s team competition, which starts tomorrow at the Tianhe Gymnasium.
    And singles coach Misbun Sidek hopes that Malaysia will see the good side of Hafiz to prevent the team from a possible elimination from the medal rounds.
    Malaysia will take on Thailand for a place in the semi-finals after both teams drew first-round byes.
    Hafiz will play the second singles match and should be up against Thai youngster Tanongsak Saensomboonsuk.
    World No. 1 Lee Chong Wei should play against Boonsak Ponsana while the first doubles pair of Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong are expected to face A. Songphon-Sudket Prapakamol.
    Malaysia will field either Liew Daren or Chan Kwong Beng for the third singles match with Mak Hee Chun-Tan Wee Kiong at second doubles. But it will not be easy for the Asiad first-timers to defy the odds.
    Misbun said that Malaysia would have to be wary of the Thais.
    “We are strong at the first singles and doubles and we can go into every tie hoping to win points in these two matches.
    “But it will only get harder after that,” he said.
    “Hafiz is in good condition and we hope to see him in strong fighting form. If he loses, it will put tremendous pressure on the team and the first-timers.
    “It will save us a very tense situation if Hafiz can rise to the occasion. We hope he will raise his game.”
    Victory for Malaysia over Thailand will give pit them against the winners of the South Korea versus Japan encounter for a place in thefinal.
    The other half of the draw has top seeds and defending champions China, who are expected to play against Indonesia in the semi-finals.

my comment: after TC, Hafiz can be the savior of the lost soul again....BOLEH!!!

11. danielwong

Salesman
    More Feel Good News

Friday November 12, 2010

The Star
    Lin Dan insists his focus is on the team event

CHINESE superstar shuttler Lin Dan has insisted his focus at the Asian Games is on the team event and not his own personal quest to win a first singles gold medal.
    “Team competition is my priority,” said Lin Dan, 27, considered by many to be the best badminton player of all time and one of the biggest names at the Games in the southern Chinese city of Guangzhou.
    Lin Dan, an Olympic gold medallist and three-time world championship winner, failed to claim the Asian Games title four years ago in Doha, but claimed he was not concentrating on his own glory.
    “Of course every player wants to go from good to better but one should not be obsessed with it,” he told the Xinhua news agency.
    “Most of the world’s top players are in the Asian Games, so in a match here one little mistake could cost you victory.”
    The Asian Games badminton has both team and individual competition, with the all-powerful Chinese strongly fancied to make a clean sweep. — AFP

12. danielwong

Salesman
    Thursday November 11, 2010

The Star
    Mew Choo welcomes second stab at fame in Guangzhou

SINGLES shuttler Wong Mew Choo is not ready to be the fading star of Malaysian women’s team, just yet.
    She is ready to shine bright again after resuming her training programme under coach Wong Tat Meng.
    And this time, she wants to do even more. She hopes to raise the bar among the women’s players in the national team in her comeback mission.
    Mew Choo is the only seasoned campaigner in the Asian Games squad. The other singles players are all first timers – Lydia Cheah, Tee Jing Yi, Sannatasah Saniru.
    The women’s doubles shuttlers – Woon Khe Wei-Marylen Ng Paou Leng, Vivian Hoo-Lim Yin Loo and Goh Liu Ying – are also making their debut.
    Since training under Tat Meng, Mew Choo has been sparring with her juniors daily.
    “I am the only senior in the team. So far, all the young faces are doing fine and are enjoying themselves in Guangzhou,” she said yesterday.
    “I will help them when the going gets tough and share my experiences with them when the need arises.”
    On her personal goal, Mew Choo has set her mind on weaving her magic wand once again for a good show in Guangzhou.
    Three years ago, she stole the thunder at the same venue to win the China Open. And she has promised to go all out in her third outing in the Asian Games before taking a short break to look into her knee problems.
    “I am focusing more on skill work under Tat Meng so that I do not put too much pressure on my knees,” she said.
    “It has been some time since a Malaysian woman won a medal at the Asiad. I aim to do better than in my two previous Asiads. After all, I have done well here before.”
    But it will be big ask of Mew Choo, who has never cleared the early rounds in the Asian Games series.
    Sylvia Ng is the only Malaysian woman shuttler to have won an Asiad medal when she bagged a bronze in the 1970 Bangkok Games.

13. danielwong

Salesman
    Asian Games: Hafiz seeks second wind

NST 12 Nov. 2010

[​IMG]
    Lee Chong Wei (left) and Hafiz Hashim taking a break after training at the Tian He Stadium.

HAFIZ Hashim, regarded as a 'has been' by critics, needs to up his game in the Asian Games as he will likely determine Malaysia's run in the team event. Hafiz's form, however, has been topsy-turvy since his last title in the 2006 Philippines Open and his disappointing loss to P. Kashyap in the quarter-finals of last month's New Delhi Commonwealth Games added to his misery.

The Kota Baru-born is ranked second behind Lee Chong Wei while Liew Daren and Chan Kwong Beng complete the singles lineup in the team event.

Hafiz's role will be crucial as Malaysia cannot hope for a point from the third singles against world class opponents.

World No 1 Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong and Mak Hee Chun-Tan Wee Kiong are doubles combinations.

Malaysia, who are seeded second behind China in the 10-nation team competition, face Thailand in the quarter-finals tomorrow.

The tie, however, could go down to the wire if Hafiz, the World No 20, fails to beat Thailand's second ranked player Tanongsak Saensomboonsak, who he has lost to before.

National singles coach Misbun Sidek said Hafiz looks motivated and determined after the Commonwealth Games.

"He has been putting extra effort in training. Preparation wise, he looks solid. Now I hope he can maintain his form here," said Misbun at the Tianhe Gymnasium in Guangzhou yesterday.

On Malaysia's chances against Thailand, Misbun said Hafiz has to win his match.

"We have a 60-40 chance of beating Thailand but it could turn 50-50 if Hafiz loses.

"Normally, teams take four years to prepare a squad for the Asian Games and I presume Thailand have been doing so since Doha. I believe Thailand have a strong line-up," added Misbun.

Hafiz, however, can take comfort in the fact that he put up a memorable show in the Thomas Cup, eight years ago, also in Guangzhou.

Then, the shuttler defeated Bao Chunlai in Malaysia's 3-2 win over China to enter the final before losing to Indonesia.

But looking at his current form, Hafiz will need his lucky stars to shine on him to repeat that performance.

Read more: Asian Games: Hafiz seeks second wind http://www.nst.com.my/nst/articles/lkfejef_lm/Article#ixzz151orrmFr

14. kuwichert

kuwichert Regular Member

consultant
    thought he played the world champs as well? that was later than Thomas Cup

15. danielwong

Salesman
    Sunday November 14, 2010

The Star

Chong Wei and debutants fail to deliver in shock defeat

[​IMG]
    MALAYSIA's top shuttler Lee Chong Wei failed to deliver and all the first-timers in the Asiad team were simply a bundle of nerves.
    And it resulted in a shock 2-3 defeat by Thailand in the quarter-finals of the men's team tie that lasted for more than four hours. It was Malaysia's first loss to Thailand in 30 years.
    Said team manager Datuk Maijol Manap: "This is really disappointing. We talked about the challenges from China, Indonesia and South Korea but today, we could not even clear the quarter-finals against a fighting Thai team.
    "It is unfortunate that Chong Wei lost. But what is even more sad is that our younger players failed to rise to the occasion."
    [​IMG]
    Thai-phoon: S. Avihingsanon drops to his knees to celebrate after beating Liew Daren to clinch the winning point for Thailand in their 3-2 upset over Malaysia in the quarter-finals of the team event.

Chong Wei's task to get Malaysia off to a rousing start misfired when he went down at 21-9, 10-21, 19-21 to Boonsak Ponsana. It was the world No. 1's first defeat to the Thai in two years.
    The other seniors in the team – Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong and Mohd Hafiz Hashim – quickly put Malaysia back on their feet, by winning their matches in contrasting fashion.
    Kien Keat-Boon Heong blew away Sudket Prapakamol-S. Anugrityawon 21-12, 21-13 while Hafiz staved off a strong challenge from 20-year-old Tanongsak Saensomboonsul before prevailing 14-21, 21-14, 21-18.
    Youngsters Mak Hee Chun-Tan Wee Kiong were presented with a golden opportunity to come good in their debut and the duo showed great promise when they took the first game 23-21 against Jongjit Maneepong-Isara Bodin.
    Then, all went wrong for the Malaysians as they committed numerous errors to allow the Thai youngsters to put their side level with a 21-16, 21-16 win.
    It was for Liew Daren to clinch the tie for Malaysia but he was a letdown. He had no answer to the well-calculated and excellent attacking play of 20-year-old S. Avihingsanon and was beaten 16-21, 16-21.
    Singles coach Misbun Sidek admitted that it was a disappointing outing but said that Chong Wei was under the weather yesterday.
    "We were quite worried with Hafiz but it was Chong Wei who did not deliver today," he said.
    "Chong Wei was down with fever and he felt giddy before the tie. He could not play his game today. We did not expect the team to lose at this stage.
    "It is disappointing indeed.
    "But Chong Wei has a few days to rest and recover. I am confident he will bounce back in the individual competition (beginning on Tuesday)."
    There was double joy for Thailand yesterday as their women's team also made it to the semi-finals after a superb 3-1 win over the more fancied Japan. Their manager, K. Sompol, said: "It is a great day for the Thais today. Our win in the men's team is more special because it was our first victory over Malaysia in 30 years.
    "Boonsak had a neck injury during the French Open but today, he did well. He insisted on playing for the country and he made all the difference.
    "The others are juniors Bodin, Maneepong, Tanongsak and Avihin­sanonare who are all 20-years-old.
    "They did well in their first Asian Games and we hope they will continue to do well in the future."
    The Thai men's team will take on South Korea in the semi-finals today while China will play against Indonesia.

16. danielwong

Salesman
    Asian Games: Big burden for Chong Wei

NST 13th November 2010

LEE Chong Wei has stayed silent since arriving in Guangzhou on Tuesday. The World No 1 has snubbed the Malaysian media -- except for a select few -- when answering questions about his Asian Games chances.

But the 28-year-old will have a lot to answer for if he fails, yet again, to deliver in a major competition.

Chong Wei and company start their campaign in the team event, where they will open against Thailand, at the Tianhe Badminton Hall today.

On paper, second seeds Malaysia should breeze past their opponents but it could turn out to be a difficult tie if the seniors fail to deliver points.

National singles coach Misbun Sidek said matches involving Chong Wei, Hafiz Hashim and Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong would be crucial to the team's hopes of progressing far in the event.

The other team members are Liew Daren, Chan Kwong Beng (singles), Mak Hee Chun-Tan Wee Kiong and Chan Peng Song (doubles).

"The others are here to gain experience but it does not mean they are just passengers. They should use this chance to make an impact," said Misbun yesterday.

"Thailand are a respectable team. Like us, they have a good mix of experience and young players. We need to win the opening three matches today.".

A victory over Thailand will set Malaysia up against South Korea in the semi-finals. China are the top seeds and defending champions.

Misbun has also picked Liew Daren over Kwong Beng for the third singles slot against Thailand.

"It was a tough choice as both players are doing well. I picked Daren because of his recent good run in tournaments," he added.

In the women's team, Wong Mew Choo will lead a young team against Hong Kong today.

Mew Choo said Hong Kong hold the advantage as they are more experienced.

"As the most senior in the squad, I've called for my teammates to stay calm tomorrow (today). We definitely have a chance provided we play to our true form," said Mew Choo.

Read more: Asian Games: Big burden for Chong Wei http://www.nst.com.my/nst/articles/42ajitbads/Article/index_html#ixzz15JToIuVD

17. danielwong

Salesman
    Chong Wei must be fit for gold

NST 15th November 2010

IS it happening again? Lee Chong Wei proved once again he does not have the mental capacity to handle major tournaments when he lost to Thailand's Boonsak Ponsana in the team event on Saturday.

It was only after the match that national coach Misbun Sidek revealed his ace shuttler had flu.

Chong Wei should, however, recovery in time for the men's singles competition when he opens his campaign on Thursday.

The World No 1 will definitely want to redeem himself after his loss to the Thai player which led to Malaysia's 3-2 defeat.

The 28-year-old, who received a first-round bye, will face either Hong Kong's Chan Yan Kit or Sharim Sharim of the Maldives in the second round.

Chong Wei, winner of seven titles this season, made his Asian Games debut in the 2006 Doha edition and helped Malaysia win the team bronze. However, he failed to shine in the singles, losing to Indonesia's Taufik Hidayat, finally ending up with bronze.

In Guangzhou, Chong Wei is the top seed and is drawn to face China's Lin Dan in the final.

Speaking to the China media recently, Chong Wei reiterated that the Asian Games is important to him.

"I want to play Lin Dan in the final. It will be a dream final for everyone. I am fit and have no injury problems," Chong Wei told the China press.

For the record, Chong Wei, who lifted the All England title this year, has never won a title in China. He, however, will have a chance this time if he plays true to his form.

Compatriot Hafiz Hashim, after his failure in the Commonwealth Games, is also hoping to make an impact in Guangzhou.

The former All England champion opens against Nepal's Bikash Shrestha on Wednesday.

Hafiz showed glimpses of his best badminton when he beat Thailand's Tanongsak Saensomboonsuk in the team event on Saturday.

Misbun said Hafiz should do well if he repeats his form in the team event.

"Only Hafiz can make it happen. We have prepared him and now it is up to him. It is a matter of how badly he wants to make an impact here," said Misbun.

Read more: Chong Wei must be fit for gold http://www.nst.com.my/nst/articles/odgjoizxcbj/Article#ixzz15JUtYm4w

18. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

hmm... may be "cold feet" again? aiya... same old story... lah.... BOLEH :)

19. danielwong

Salesman
    The Star
    Saturday November 13, 2010

Breakthrough needed Chance for Mak-Tan to cement status as second doubles pair

YOUNGSTERS Mak Hee Chun-Tan Wee Kiong will go into the Asian Games here needing a breakthrough performance to cement their status as a reliable second men's doubles pair in the national team.
    And the duo are ready to stand up to the challenge when they begin their campaign in the men's team competition, beginning today at the Tianhe Gymnasium.
    Malaysia are still searching for a solid pair to support world No. 1 Kien Keat-Boon Heong, especially in team events.
    Wee Kiong-Hee Chun are now ranked at No. 21 in the world. Two other Malaysian combinations are ahead of them – independent pair Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah (No. 17) and Gan Teik Chai-Tan Bin Shen (18).
    [​IMG] Hard at work: Lee Chong Wei in action during a training session at the Tianhe Gymnasium on Thursday.
    The other senior pairs of Mohd Fairuzizuan Mohd Tazari-Ong Soon Hock and Mohd Zakry Abdul Latif-Hoon Thien How are new partnerships and hold no world rankings.
    The 21-year-old Wee Kiong has vowed to come good in Guangzhou.
    "We are aware that the pressure will be on us to deliver if one of the experienced players loses in the team event.
    "We have to come out and try to save the day," he said.
    "Mak and I have prepared well for our first Asian Games and hopefully, we will not throw away this good opportunity to come good for the country."
    Malaysia will take on Thailand in the opening round and Hee Chun-Wee Kiong will have to take to the court, probably against Jongjit Maneepong-Isara Bodin, if Malaysia drop a point in the first three matches involving Lee Chong Wei, Kien Keat-Boon Heong and Mohd Hafiz Hashim.
    If the match goes down to the wire, it will then all rest on Liew Daren, who will be fielded for the third singles match in favour of Chan Kwong Beng.
    Coach Tan Kim Her said that a good Asiad outing would also put Wee Kiong-Hee Chun on the right track towards qualification for the 2012 London Olympics.
    "The target for them this year is to break into top 20.
    [​IMG] Doubles pair Mak Hee Chun (left) and Tan Wee Kiong want to come good in Guangzhou.
    "Next year, the plan is to get them into the top 12.
    This will raise their hopes of qualifying for the Olympics," he said.
    "Wee Kiong and Hee Chun are young and fearless and we hope that they will use the Games here as a turning point of their careers."
    A win for Malaysia over Thailand today will give them a semi-final tie against South Korea or Japan tomorrow.
    Defending champions China are expected to play against Indonesia in the other semi-final.

#39 danielwong, Nov 14, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  20. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2010/11/15/asiangames/7430511&sec=asiangames

BAM need to crack the whip to improve singles department

IT'S time for the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) to "be cruel to be kind" after the men's team were again found lacking in depth in the singles department.

Those who can no longer perform and those whose progress have stagnated have to make way for those with potential.

In the Guangzhou Asian Games on Saturday, Malaysia suffered a crushing 2-3 defeat by Thailand in the quarter-finals. It was Malaysia's first loss to the Thais in 30 years.

The vulnerability of Malaysia's singles players was again evident for all to see when 23-year-old Liew Daren failed to rise to the occasion, going down Thai junior S. Avihingsanon in straight games.

In fact, it was the second time Daren has lost to the 20-year-old Thai after the Malaysian International Challenge last year.

The tie against Thailand went down to the wire after Lee Chong Wei, who was not feeling well, and the young pair of Mak Hee Chun-Tan Wee Kiong lost their matches.

Mohd Hafiz Hashim won his match but, even then, he had to go the distance to beat 20-year-old Tanongsak Saensomboonsuk.

Yesterday, Tanongsak scored a win over Shon Wan-ho to contribute the only point in Thailand's 1-3 defeat by South Korea in the semi-finals.

Thailand's exploits are clear indications that they are producing young winners while Malaysia continue to pin their hopes on aging shuttlers.

The coaches are aware of the yawning gap between Chong Wei and the rest of the players in the national team but something drastic needs to be done to replenish the pool of talent that is fast drying up.

Coach Misbun Sidek has no immediate answer for the sad situation.

"Like it or not, this is the group of players we have. There is no one better than the current back-up shuttlers (Daren, Chan Kwong Beng and Tan Chun Seang)," said Misbun yesterday. "But yes, we will have to look into this situation."

Daren has pleaded for more time to prove himself after flopping in his first outing on the big stage.

"He (the Thai) handled the pressure better than me. I was tensed and made a lot of mistakes. I have failed but I hope to learn from this and come back stronger," said Daren, who will head for the Hong Kong Open next.

With a stronger cast in the Hong Kong Open, Daren is unlikely to survive the early rounds.

But whether he, like many others, remains with the BAM for another five years, will depend on what the national body want for the future – mediocrity or meritocracy.