News/Articles on World Championships 2009

Discussion in 'World Championships 2009' started by robin7, May 15, 2009.

1. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Haha... this came just in time!
    I don't need to respond, eagle :D

2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Reading so many threads and news, sometimes I get a bit disoriented

Hahaha... Reading so many threads and news, sometimes I get a bit disoriented. :eek::eek::eek:

3. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    Chinese shuttler Lin Dan opens the defence of his World Badminton Championships men's singles title against unseeded Misha Zilberman of Israel after the draw on Tuesday.

Fifth-seeded Lin, seeking a hat-trick of titles after winning at the 2006 and 2007 championships, could face 11th-seeded compatriot Bao Chunlai in the third round of the elite event, starting in Hyderabad on August 10.

Top seed and world number one Lee Chong Wei of Malaysia was drawn to meet German Dieter Domke in the opening round.

Denmark's Peter Gade, seeded third, will clash with Ukrainian Valeriy Atrashchenkov.

Seven of the top eight women's seeds have been given a first-round bye.

Top seed Mi Zhou of Hong Kong will meet the winner of the match between Nanna Brosolat Jensen of Denmark and New Zealander Michelle Chan Ky in the second round.

Sixth-seeded Saina Nehwal, who became the first Indian to clinch a Super Series badminton title in Jakarta last month, could meet Poland's Olga Konon in the second round.

Nehwal, 19, caught the eye with a stunning victory over China's world number three Wang Lin in the Indonesian Open final.

China bagged three of the five titles at the previous World Championships, in Kuala Lumpur two years ago - men's singles, women's singles and women's doubles - while Indonesia triumphed in the men's and mixed doubles.

The championships were not held last year because of the Beijing Olympics, where Lin won gold in the singles. - AFP/de

4. indra

indra Regular Member

TAUFIK
    T = Toughness
    A = Agility
    U = Uniqueness
    F = Formidability
    I = Impressiveness
    K = Killing Backhand

LIN DAN
    L= Less Smile
    I = In the mood sometimes
    N = Not strong

D = Devastating once in a while
    A = Annoying sometimes
    N = Not impressive sometimes

LCW
    L = Less agrressive
    C = Cannot bear the "LYB's Break His Leg" swearword
    W = Win or Lose not important

CJ
    C = Champion when top players don't play
    J = Jinx

5. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Good lah,...........how about SDK and SS.....? ;)

6. apu4life

apu4life Regular Member

OYE OYE OYE Kudo's for the good analysis :p

7. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

China's Lin faces tough draw in worlds

Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:44pm IST

NEW DELHI (Reuters) - Chinese world and Olympic champion Lin Dan and Malaysian world number one Lee Chong Wei head a tough top half of the men's singles draw for the world championships in Hyderabad from Aug. 10 to 16.

Fifth seed Lin should meet tricky compatriot and 11th seed Bao Chunlai in the third round while Danish veteran Peter Gade also lurks in the top section of the 64-player field.

Indonesian former Olympic and world champion Taufik Hidayat, the fourth seed, and Chinese second seed Chen Jin should clash in the semi-final if rankings hold good in the lower half.

"The top half looks really tough with Lee and Lin both there, with Lin versus Bao in the third round," former All-England champion Pullela Gopichand said at the draw ceremony held in New Delhi on Tuesday.

"The top half is tougher in the women's singles also, it has one good player too many," he added.

World number one Zhou Mi of Hong Kong and Chinese world number two Wang Lin Wang head the women's field.

*source : Reuters India -- http://in.reuters.com/article/worldOfSport/idINIndia-41210620090721

8. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    This just in. It seems that the whole Malaysian team is shunning the official hotels, for the comparative "safety" of the Service Apartments. Safety of food, that is ...... :p:D

Courtesy from THE STAR Malaysia.

World No. 1 Lee Chong Wei need not fear food poisoning again

By RAJES PAUL

KUALA LUMPUR: World No. 1 Lee Chong Wei should not worry about having a repeat of a food poisoning episode in India when he competes in the World Championships.

Two cooks will accompany the Malaysian team for the championships, which will be held in Hyderabad from Aug 10-16.

In fact, the Malaysia team will stay at an apartment just 15 minutes away from the venue, the Gachibowli Indoor Stadium, instead of the official hotel to enable the cooks to prepare the food.

The cooks made a visit to Hyderabad recently to ensure that all the facilities and kitchen utensils would be at place when they make a return with the team for the championships.

The Badminton Association of Malaysia’s (BAM) general manager, Kenny Goh, said that they were leaving no stones unturned to ensure that all was well with the players when they compete in Hyderabad.

At the India Open at the same venue in April, Chong Wei suffered food poisoning after consuming food from outside the hotel. It resulted in a first-round defeat by Chen Long of China.

“The World Championships are important for us and we are making sure that all areas of preparation are looked into,” said Kenny.

“We are not staying in the official hotel with the players from other countries. We have decided to stay in an apartment to allow our cooks to prepare food for our players, coaches and support team.”

The other support team members in the Malaysian squad include physical trainers, a psychologist, nutritionist and sports code expert.

The Malaysian team, bidding to win their first-ever world championship title, will leave for Hyderabad on Aug 8.

Chong Wei is now in Seoul for a 10-day training stint under Li Mao and Misbun Sidek.

9. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Talking about Service Apartments, I too would be staying in one of them, at Whitefields close to Kothaguda crossroads. Easy access to those suicidal autos .....

10. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

They are really covering all the bases & are prepared!!..

- I hope no further food poisoning episodes occur. If that were to happen, then they have no one else to point the fingers to & the cooks will be in the spotlight.:p
    - Btw, what's a "sports code expert"??..;confused:
    - I wonder what will be on the food menu for the MAS squad?? Nasi lemak? Curry Mee? Prawn Mee? Char kway teow? Kangkung Belacan? Keropok Lekor? Sin Chow Fried Mee Hoon? Rojak? Ngah Po Fan? Ayam Laksa? Jiew Hu Char? Banana leaf rice? Thosai? Curries? Cendol? Bubur cha cha? Ikan bakar & Satay feast after the Finals Day..yuuuumm, yum!!:cool:

11. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

of course the penang laksa..haha:D:D
    after lcw ate those, he will be on fire just like a tiger in all his match in wc:cool:

12. whack_d_net

whack_d_net Regular Member

Student
    Hahaha, really funny
    It's obvious which side are you on , LOL :cool:

13. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

agree with you;):rolleyes:

14. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
  15. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    With this sort of support, LCW will be under great presssure not to be able to win the WC! :eek::D

Now, I think it is unprecedented in badminton history that LCW is training under a rival camp's coach Li Mao. I just wonder what South Korea's PSH will feel about such an arrangement when his own coach is coaching his chief rival for the World crown? PSH himself is supposed to get all the attention to win the WC and to rely on his coach Li Mao for all the tips to beat LCW instead since the latter was once LM's student. Poor PSH might now feel he has no chance to win the WC. That is not what any trainee would want from his own coach! A student needs all the encouragement and motivation from his coach to succeed. :rolleyes:

It is also a surprise to me that Misbun agrees with this so-called "training stint" since it indirectly reflects on him that LCW feels that he could get better by training with LM and that Misbun may not have that 'extra' to pass on to him to win the WC. :eek:

Of course Li Mao would not want arch-enemy LYB's blue-eyed boy LD to win the WC one more time and may have been able to persuade the South Korean BA to accede to the arrangement. But at such a high level of competition when national pride is at stake, I'm most surprised that they agreed. Perhaps there is more than meets the eye. :cool:

LCW must beat LD at all cost! From hotel to food to coach. Beware all of LCW's opponents at the WC! ;)

IF LCW wins the WC, LM may also be crowned with a Datokship!

#55 Loh, Jul 24, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Thank goodness the Malaysian Team is not under the umbrella of the Ministry of Education, otherwise the players may not be permitted to travel overseas because of the swine flu pandemic as what the Asian Youth Games contingent was from prevented from participating in Singapore the last minute. And now it seems that the swine flu has grown much worse. :rolleyes:

17. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    So, Loh, are you travelling to the World Championships?

I know fastdrop has, ahem, dropped out due to "challenging environment". Particularly with, you guessed it, food.

18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I'm afraid I'm not as strong as our handsome 'young' man. Therefore I have a better reason to stay away and rely on the courtesy of the TV crew to bring us the action at the safe and comfortable confines of the living room. :D

Ah, but for you, strong and well-travelled, surely you MUST go and witness LCW's crowning! :)

19. whack_d_net

whack_d_net Regular Member

Student
    Well, IF (the big I and F) LCW failed this time, he can't use food poisoning as an excuse again, eh?
    Hehehe ,-D

20. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Heights of Pleasure

L - Lee, at all cost, MUST win
    C - CROWN of the
    W - WORLD

L - Lin, can try but will surely
    D - DIE

THEN COMES ...

T - TAUFIK