NEWS: Danish does not fear Indonesia

Discussion in '2001 Sudirman Cup / World Championships' started by Mag, May 28, 2001.

1. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    I thought I'd share this with you, just to broaden the global perspective on the Sudirman cup. I have translated it from Danish to my best ability.

According to www.badminton.dk, Danish national team coach Kenneth Larsen sees team England as a more dangerous opponent then team Indonesia:

"- Of course we're the favorites in our first Suriman Cup match against England. No doubt about that, but it won't be an easy win. We expect the Emglish to fight to the last point, who are especially strong in the doubles. I am much less worried about our next contenders, Indonesia.

Mr Larsen said that Indonesia are strong in the Men's Doubles but that the Danes expect to win the other categories.

It is enough for Denmark to win one of the two fights to reach the semi-finals, which also either China or Korea should reach. Mr Larsen would rather meet China than Korea:

- Against China we have a fair chance in four out of five matches, but against Korea we will have a very hard time in all three doubles."

2. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    I don't blame the Danes for not fearing the Indonesians. Unfortuately, the Indonesians haven't played to what their really capable of lately. (*SIGH*). But i will support them all the way!

The danes shouldn't underestimate them though......

In my prediction i believe it will be a China-someone final..... not sure who yet.....

3. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    I'm staking all my money on China to win the Sudirman Cup. Somehow, I get the feeling there's not going to be any fight at all... sadly. Which 4 events do you think Larsen's talking abt? My guess is MS, MD, XD and WS. But China seems to have a clear advantage in the WS, what with their constant churn-outs of Camilla killers. Their XD is pretty strong too... will depend on the form of each side that day, as people like to say.

4. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Yes, I too assume he admits that Denmark has a weak WD. They seem to have a strong line-up for the other disciplines, possibly with the exception of WS if Camilla falls through... My guess is they could get a medal, not gold though.

5. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Agreed. There's been a lot of political turbulence surrounding Indonesian badminton (and indeed Indonesia in general!), so I doubt that their players have been able to perform at their best... But as you say, they have strong players so I don't think the Danes should be too sure!