News : Icuk plans shake-up of badminton training center

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by jkusmanto, Aug 1, 2004.

1. jkusmanto

jkusmanto Regular Member

Computer Analyst
    Icuk plans shake-up of badminton training center
    Eva C. Komandjaja, Jakarta

National shuttlers, especially those who are not married, should no longer expect to live outside the national training center now that Icuk Sugiarto is the center's new director.

Icuk was named on Friday to the new 26-member board of the country's badminton governing body, the PBSI, under new chairman Sutiyoso.

Icuk is the PBSI's chief in charge of development affairs. His tasks includes supervising the national training center in Cipayung, East Jakarta.

The PBSI hopes to recapture the Thomas Cup and return Indonesia to its position as the world's preeminent badminton power, and Icuk is convinced that this can only be accomplished through uncompromising discipline.

Icuk has put the national shuttlers on warning, saying there will be consequences for anyone who breaks the center's 9 p.m. curfew. He also said unmarried shuttlers would be required to live at the center.

"We will have strict regulations for the shuttlers. They must learn discipline on and off court.

"If they violate the regulations they will be kicked out of camp, even if they are famous and the best shuttlers in the country," the 1983 world champion said.

But Icuk said his new get-tough policy would not come into effect until after the Athens Olympics, which will run from Aug. 13 to Aug. 29.

Several shuttlers are currently living in private residences outside of the center, and those who do live in the center frequently break curfew.

"I am sure these new regulations will spark protests from the shuttlers because they have enjoyed their freedom for much too long. These regulations will help them play better in the future," Icuk said.

One shuttler who may not appreciate these new rules is star Taufik Hidayat. Something of a celebrity in the country, the Asian champion Taufik opts to drive to the training camp from his nearby home.

Icuk also signaled that he would tighten the selection process for Cipayung, saying fewer athletes would be invited in order to make the center more prestigious.

There are currently about 130 players at Cipayung but Icuk refused to say the number of athletes he thought would be ideal for the center.

"We want to create an image that it is difficult to qualify for the national camp. That way, when a player is accepted to the camp he or she will work hard," he said.

While these plans will not come into effect until after the Olympics, Icuk has already carried out a major shake-up of the training organization by bringing in new faces on the coaching staff, although the likes of Indra Gunawan, Hendrawan, Atik Djauhari, Richard Mainaky and Christian Hadinata are not new to the Indonesian players given their past connections with the camp. Christian, for example, is a former training director.

Gone from the coaching staff are Mulyo Handoyo, who was Taufik's coach, Ivana Lie, Herry IP and Paulus Firman.

"We feel that they (new coaches) will be able to help the Indonesian shuttlers perform better in international events," Icuk said

2. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

Mulyo's out again? So what does this mean for Taufik?

And will Muylo go back to Singapore?

3. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    It could only mean another bust up between him and the PBSI over the issue. I wonder if he'd learn to be wiser and less fiery than he was because lack of such traits would make him less of a player than he should be.

4. double

double Regular Member

Henry IP was out also...due to the recent bad performance of MD???
    I think he's done a good job in the men double coaching except the mess combinations recently(not sure if it's his idea)

I wonder can Christian Hadinata really help in coaching the men double???

5. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

Wow, it will not be fun to be member of Indonesia national squad. Looks like Icuk is determined to do whatever it takes to dominant this sports. But, I wonder any of you feel that he is creating his own military boot camp, rather than a "training" center. I just feel it is easy for him to say loud and big on paper,.....will see what the reality turns out.

Maybe he is completely right, this is what it takes to create pool of world champions.

6. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Chibe_K,

I agree with you. Icuk has the right approach. Discipline has always been an essential component of champions. Easier sounding right than doing it right, only time will tell if he can make champions out of his charges. It's very promising for now.

Also, it's good that they get rid of Mulyo. Nothing against his coaching skills but if Mulyo didn't bring the desired result out of Taufik, remaining with the squad would be a sore reminder of past favoritism. If Icuk has to foster a competitive environment for the team, he needs make it clear to everybody that nobody's safe.

#6 cappy75, Aug 2, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2004
  7. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I can't imagine if this is applicable for Malaysian Players..

8. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Well, have the Malaysians won much lately:rolleyes:? I am sure if they want it bad enough, they will be able to perform greatly.

9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Reminds me of the Sports School which has a full complement of sports related services, board and lodging. But the SS trainees have other things to occupy their time gainfully, like studies, excursions and project work. Then they can use the other excellent facilities like swimming to pass away their time.

Here you are dealing with non-married adults not children. I hope there will be sufficient free time for them to relax and pursue their other interests after training hours and before the curfew at 9 pm. However, we still need to know the details of the proposed training programme, whether it is for 5 or more days a week. And whether there will be days off to stay or visit with family and friends.

Indeed, it is important that discipline be instilled to ensure that the players remain focussed towards their goals. But much has to depend on the player himself ultimately on whether he wants to succeed badly enough.

Does spartan training necessarily produce great players? Did former greats have to undergo such centralized discipline in order to achieve success. I think the answer must be no. For there are many roads to success and much depends on the individual.

10. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Loh, I have to disagree with you on that. Spartan training greatly enhance the potential of the athletes. It's especially more relevant in modern times. Case in point: China. Their training program is basically a routine "root out the weak ones". Competition being very stiff, only the best may represent their country. This gives the easily distracted focus and the already keen ones mental/spiritual reinforcement. It's not ideal method but they have produced results. On the other hand, compare Chinese players with Malaysian ones. Would you question Wong Choong Hann's commitment for Olympic gold? I wouldn't. I am sure that the Malaysian squad trains hard for the Olympics but they certainly have some luxuries that may not be available to the Chinese squad. Thus they have more distractions and that could hold them back.

#10 cappy75, Aug 3, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2004
  11. jkusmanto

jkusmanto Regular Member

Computer Analyst
    "Spartan training greatly enhance the potential of the athletes." I agree to this sentence.
    But It have to have sufficient free time for them to relax and pursue their other interests after or between the training.
    In their free time, not thier physic must be free from the trainings, but thier spirituil/mental also have to free/clear.

I think we all agree that we can't split physic, mental/spiritual and technique.
    All the three must be one, and grow together in the same line.

Back to Icuk.
    Can he set PBSI to the right rail ? It is a big question.
    But getting back the old champion creators like : Tahir Djide, Indra Gunawan,
    Atik Djauhari, Christian Hadinata in the trainer squad is (according to me) a good thing to bring Indonesia back to its glory.
    The question now is : Can Taufik goes further with Mulyo Handoyo ?

The other Icuk's rule is :
    All the unmarried players must stay in training centre. No exception.
    What will happen to Taufik, Sigit, Vita (XD paluer), etc who stay in their own house, not in the training centre ?

The info that I got :
    Tahir Djide : Physic trainer
    Indra Gunawan : Coordinator for Single
    Joko Suprianto : Men Single
    Hendrawan : Women Single
    Christian Hadinata : Men Double
    Atik Djauhari : Women Double
    Richard Mainaky : Mixed Double

For who doesn't know about Tahir Djide :
    He was a physic trainer for : Rudy Hartono, Mulyadi, Darmadi, Christian/Ade, Tjun Tjun/Johan, Liem Swie King, Lius Pongoh, Icuk, Alan, Suci, Ardy, Minarni, Retno Kustijah, Imelda Wiguna, Ivana Lie, etc.

12. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Thanks for the complementary informations jkusmanto!

I hope indonesian badminton will re-improve and will be capable to challenge with mighty China again... (otherwise, there won't be much suspense any more in team events)

Besides this, I find the indonesian style of play is great to watch! (very creative...)

13. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

I share the same hope as Seven in that Indonesia as well as other countries make professional badminton interesting and definitely challenge China for titles. I doubt there's much point for viewers to catch one-man shows:(.

14. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Of course, if any, Indonesia will be the better endowed country to challenge China and provide the necessary sparks to attract at international levels.

What I fear in Icuk's new programme is that he leaves no room for the individual player's creativeness and talent to shine through if he adopts a 'spartan-like' regime of training and leaves the soul, the mental/spiritual aspects as jkusmanto had referred to, unsatisfied. The player must feel free and relaxed in order to achieve greater heights. There is no dispute when it comes to discipline which must be upheld and penalties meted out to the offenders.

If only Taufik has not been given too much latitude in his prima donna years, he would have been a much better player. It was ill-discipline and the lack of proper punishment which contributed to his decline as well as Indonesia's. So his focus became myopic and I seriously doubt Icuk could do much about him in such a late stage other than to sack him as a warning to would-be detractors. But, even now, Taufik is still considered by many to be the best in Indonesia, although I would personally rate Sony as better, yes, because he is simply more disciplined and has shown improvement.

Anyway, Icuk's team appears to be top-notch, men who have proven themselves in the past and men with considerable experience. But whether Icuk can call the tune and make it real tough and spartan-like is left to be seen. He has his team to consult with to arrive at an appropriate programme for Indonesia's future team. Of course, one advantage of making his players stay together is bonding, of cementing ties and caring for one another - the all-important ingredient called 'team spirit' and camaraderie. :)

15. jkusmanto

jkusmanto Regular Member

Computer Analyst
    What miss in Indonesia team is lack of continuity.
    If we see years back, After Rudy, Mulyadi, Liem Swie King, Icuk and Luis Pongoh, there were Ardy, Alan, Hastomo Arbi, Joko, Hermawan Susanto and Heryanto Arbi also Fung Permadi who moved to Taiwan, the last 5 years were only Mainaky, Hendrawan and Taufik. And the new comer like Sony and Simon.
    Indonesia has no more top players who can be promote to the world's top.

Look the Woman players :
    Susi and Mia (moved to Netherland) are the last players.
    Before Susi, there were some good players like :
    Verawaty and Ivana, then Sarwendah Kusumawardhani and Elizabeth.
    After Susi....... no one. :rolleyes:

In the Men Double, there are 3 good pairs actually :
    Eng/Limpele, Alven/Luluk and Candra/Sigit.
    But if we talk about performance ? Just a little if compile to their senior like :
    Christian/Ade and Tjun Tjun/Johan then Kartono/Heryanto and Gunawan/Eddy and the last years was Rexy Mainaky/Ricky Subagja, Toni/Halim and Candra/Sigit.

Can Icuk bring back the glory of Indonesia ? Like I said : A big question.
    Which methode of training Icuk choose so long can bring Indonesia back, it doesn't matter. But ofcouse the methode has to make the players and the trainers feel free and relax to do their program.

I agree that Taufik nowaday still the best not only in Indonesia but also in the world.
    But with his attitude, can he hang on If he doesn't change ?

According to me : Not only the PBSI's TC has to be change, but also the whole PBSI's management has be look at to 'the same direction'.

If Indonesia can get back to the top, I am sure and believe that badminton will be more competitive and more exciting like in the year 90's.

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    It may take up to 5 years to see such a policy produce results. China have been trying many years and had their lean spell back in 1991-1995/6 for the men's singles.

I have to agree with Loh though. The world has moved on from the 80's and 90's. Adults expect more freedom.

What would happen if such a policy was imposed on players in Denmark?

Icuk's policy may have had more chance to work in the 90's. Maybe not so in the 2000's......

17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    good point. i cannot help but to point out: what a bad timing to announce this *now*! Icuk imho already failed the first test. just before the Olympics, while there are still players who have potential to win a medal, he goes off and announce that he is going to shake their house around. esp will make Taufik furious again for taking away his beloved coach.

this is not dissimilar to exactly last year this time, when Sigit found he is not playing with Candra anymore.

can't he just wait for a month or so?

18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    that is actually quite interesting a point. i was originally going to say that since having a military boot camp like training worked for China, why not for Indonesia.

but then i realized that firstly, China has a much much larger population pool in which to select talents from, the sheer number of raw talents is enough to justify a strict training regime. if one fails or cannot take it, there are tons of replacement.

i am not sure if Indonesia has such a luxury to implement such a program.

the other one is discipline as pointed out by others. Chinese students are trained to be discipline from a young age and to respect their teacher/seniors.

i am not familiar with Indonesia to make much comments. but having Taufik around isn't making the case very strong for Indonesia when it comes to discipline.

19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Have to agree with you about the timing on such an announcement. Seems quite strange to announce it now with only a month's notice to implement the policy.

20. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    When Mulyo Handoyo 'desserted' Ronald Susilo to be with his favourite trainee Taufik, more so at the command of the great Rudy Hartono to help Indonesia retain the Thomas Cup, it was a great disappointment to not only Ronald but to badminton fans in Singapore. Ronald has looked up to Mulyo not as just a coach but as his confidant. That was how close their relationship was. And Ronald had been making progress under Mulyo's charge.

But the SBA did not leave the vacuum for too long and this February it went ahead to replace Mulyo with a well-regarded Chinese coach, Huang Yichong, 65, to take charge of the men's national team for at least 2 years. Huang was coach of the Chinese national men's singles team as well as head coach of the Chinese youth tema betweeen 1992 and 1998 and has a hand in grooming badminton stars like Yang Yang, Zhao Jianhua, Sun Jun, Liu Yong and Dong Jiong.

Ronald survived the 'mental ordeal' and no sooner, did his career best by capturing the Japan Open crown in April. He went on to take 'revenge' by beating his arch-enemy, Taufik, at the July Malaysia Open in the third round coming back from a first game down and having lost on four previous encounters.

What irony! Taufik 'pulled strings' to regain Mulyo's special services yet finally losing out not only the TC, which Indonesia has held on for such a long time, but also to Ronald who shared Mulyo with him and who became a point of contention. Ronald has slowly toughten up his mental strength and I don't expect him to clamour back for his former coach, Mulyo. He is in better hands now. And I don't think the SBA would want to bring back bad memories either!

The best reward that Ronald can give to Singapore, to the SBA and to all Singapore badminton fans is for him to win an Olympic medal. And he will be richly rewarded too, if he wins the gold, for a million Singapore dollars and all of Singapore will await him! :D :) :p