NEWS: Sudirman Cup draws

Discussion in '2001 Sudirman Cup / World Championships' started by kwun, Apr 12, 2001.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Group 1 A
    China
    Korea
    Sweden

Group 1 B
    Denmark
    Indonesia
    England

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    wow. this is a tough one.

while Sweden and England are less favorites, it will be a close match between China/Korea and Denmark/Indonesia.

China should win both Ladies events, while Korea should win the Men's double, however, men's singles and mixed will be in contention.

on the other group, Indonesia should win Men's double, Denmark should have a upper hand on Ladies doubles, and should definitely win Ladies' singles. and yet again, the winner will be determined by men's single and mixed doubles!

3. May

May Guest

I don't think there's anything to argue abt with ur analysis.

4. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    I think Indonesia and China will meet in the final like the Thomas Cup. Though Denmark have good individual players they never seem to get very far in team events. Like the recent Japan Open, they didn't win anything.......

However, this should be a good one.......

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    The Japan open was an individual event.

Denmark did get to the finals of the Thomas cup in 96, S/F of Thomas cup 98, Sudirman cup final of 1999, finals of the uber cup in 2000, S/F of Thomas cup in 2000.

Although not having got to the final stages and won these team events, I think that is not a bad record. I would favour Denmark over Indonesia in the Sudirman Cup.

6. May

May Guest

yeah. denmark's almost guaranteed the women's events. just one other win and indonesia's gone.

7. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    Frankly, so would I... esp since the MS and XD events will be the deciding factor... if Gade's having a good day, I don't s'ppose any of the Indonesian's MS are a match for him.

Erm... excuse my blurness but how are the semis played? Winner of A plays Runner-up of B or...? May I assume then that both the Danes and the Indons will wanna top their grp to avoid meeting China in the semis?
    *Ow, c'mon... isn't it painfully obvious, girl?*

And I tend to think that the Danes are very strong in team events... a gd example would be Larsen and Erikson beating Candra and Sigit during last yr's T-Cup semis. And Kenneth Jonnasen (spelling?) nearly taking the game with Marleve.

8. Yudhi

Yudhi Regular Member

Student
    If Taufik or Hendrawan having a good day, I don't s'ppose any of the Danes MS are a match for him.

He almost lost to Hendrawan during last yr Thomas Cup, luck was not with Hendrawan.

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Adel,

you're right. winner A players plays runner-up B. and vice versa.

10. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    I know.. I saw that match... great match. Nearly died when Hendrawan lost. Still support Indonesia... always will... but am *trying* to be realistic ard here. Gade, I think, will have an edge at least psychologically. He has beaten Taufik all but once in their previous encounters. And he's definitely fitter than Hendrawan... latter gives me the feeling that his fitness is suspect above two games. But who knows, anything can happen...

11. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    You never know....... Like in the China ranks, Xia is above Ji but always loses to Hendrawan...... ah, you know the story.......

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Only seen Kenneth Jonassen play in the Thomas cup. But it's made me think that he is the weak link in the team. He lost to Roslin (ranked lower at the time) in the 98 Thomas Cup, and lost the Mainaky in the 00 Thomas cup. Both times it looked like the pressure got to him as they were deciding rubbers. As some (from UK) would say, "he lost his 'bottle' ".

13. viver

viver Regular Member

Some players play better in team events other play better in open tournaments. Guess is what motivates them.

14. Pang Chen

Pang Chen Guest

In the case of Roslin Hashim and the Sideks, their motivating forces are no other than $$$. He knows very well that even if he help Msia to gain promotion to the Elite Group, nobody is gonna reward him (do not expect 1 single Msian sen!)
    On the other hand, he will receive a windfall of rewards even if he only managed to end up as a bronze medalist in the World Championship!
    This is the obvious difference between the Sideks + Hashims if compared with the rest of Msians!!!

15. Fred

Fred Guest

Good.....u should contribute more to this forum to gain insight into the M'sian bad. scene.
    i suspect there r some more other divides.

16. viver

viver Regular Member

I do not understand. I sometimes read the Malaysian newspaper and it announces the prizes for players if they help to win tournaments - case like Thomas Cup. How come there are no rewards if they help to win a team event? I heard by comparison in Indonesia, the players that helps to win team events or a big tournament the government will reward with houses and monthly salary. Is Malaysia using a different system? Just for my information.

17. Pang Chen

Pang Chen Guest

Yeah.... If all of you still remember, Ong Ewe Hock and Yong Hock Kin were being discarded from the Sidek's Nusa Mahsuri club in early 1997. They were producing good results at that time.... Ong was the runner-up in both the 1996 German and Danish Open...Yong was starting to chalk some very good results where he qualified for the semifinals of 1997 Korean Open. Jalani Sidek kicked them off ... not long after Roslin joined them. I still remembered how sad Ong were at that time, he almost hang his racquet! Fortunately, BAM was still there to revive his career and things changed when Morten Frost joined their stable.

With coaches like Misbun and Jalani merely focusing on players of their same mentality, I was really pissed-off and finally, decided to hang my racquet for good. Well, that's the past!

18. Pang Chen

Pang Chen Guest

Malaysian entries for world meet

As for the forthcoming World meet, I believe these are the players who will be picked:

MS: The Hashims (Roslin, Hafiz & Mohammed), Wong Choon Hann
    (reason: if the Hashims are not picked, the Sideks will treaten to quit the
    game)
    MD: Rosman-Chang Kim Wai, Chew Chun Eng-Chan Chong Ming, Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah

19. Re: Malaysian entries for world meet

malaysia's women and mixed event's seems to be weaker than Indonesia, none of them holds high world rankings....... i dun think they can go too far in sudirman cup.

for sudirman cup :
    ina vs den

1)MS: rony agustinus vs peter gade(advantage gade, but anything can happen here coz ronny has beaten to date: wong choong hann, ji xinpeng, marleve)

2)WS: lidya djaelawijaya vs camilla martin(surely camilla)

3)MD: candra/sigit vs jens/jesper(surely indonesia coz the last thomas cup when candra/sigit lost, they actually changed the partnership at the time candra was with tony & sigit with halim, so now its different, they have trained together for quite a while)

4)WD: deyana/indarti vs olsen/kirkegaard(most probably denmark)

5)MXD: bambang/minarti vs sogaard/olsen(if bambang/minarti play like in japan open, they will win)

my final analysis: results will depend on MS and MXD.

PS: taufik & hendrawan will not compete in sudirman cup, they will concentrate on world champs

20. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    Re: Malaysian entries for world meet

Taufik and Hendrawan not competing in S-Cup? Wow. But I was thinking along this line as well. Was in fact about to say that Indonesia might just stand that little bit of chance in the MS if they send Rony against Gade. Hope he makes a breakthru this time round.