NHL Stanley Cup Winner

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by icandoall, Mar 23, 2003.

1. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    2-1 victory for TB! :( Well, a new comer has just taken the Cup but both teams must be given enormous credit for making it that far. Especially Calgary, who really had a miracle run this season and postseason.

It must be very sad for all Cowtown fans right now. This must be extremely dissapointing, especially for Cooler here who's been so excited lately!! ;)

Now, time for the Canucks to shape up and get ready for next season....

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Hehehe, i'll get over it. Yes, we lost, by 1 point but the city will still party tomorrow :)

3. icandoall

icandoall Regular Member

Guitarist....
    Argggg

After my Beloved Leafs got knocked out by the Flyers once again..
    I was hoping if any other CDN team would win the Cup..
    but tonightt.. arghh.. calgary lost to t-bay..
    damnnn.. however.. it was a very entertaining gamee..
    But Go Leafs Go Again next year.. hahhaha

4. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

yeah, it's too bad calgary lost. hats off to the flames for making it as far as they did.

it's not all that bad though. it's good that TB was able to pull off the victory for dave andreychuk. it's always nice to see a classy vetran like him to win his first cup!

5. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    Yup, same feeling when Ray Bourque won his first cup. These vetshave worked their entire careers. They don't have many years left to gain a ring. Jerome is still relatively young, probably 10+ seasons left for him to garner a ring.

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

yah, flames had inspired alotta fans because we know we lack super talent in our lineup and make up for it with determination and fighting spirit. I think the flames ran out of gas and suffered more injury than TB. Remember that we only have 1 star player in the flames team while TB has 4-5 star players.

7. icandoall

icandoall Regular Member

Guitarist....
    I thought Flames played amazing..
    Maybe we can see all Canadian Cup Finals next year...
    or even Canadian Conference Finals and Canadian Cup Finals..
    Sounds good???

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

like all memorable tournament, this 2004 stanley playoff has a bit controversies as well. In game 6 of the stanley cup playoff, score was 2-2, a controversial goad by the Flames's Martin Gelina was ruled no goal. Camera angles were bad and it ruled inconclusive and therefore no goal.If it was counted (3-2), flames could have taken the cup and game 7 not needed.
    For the record, Martin (terminator) Gelina's amazing strings of series terminating goals is really eery:

martin gelina scored the:
    -winning (OT) goal that eliminated the vancouver canuck
    -winning (OT) goal that eliminated the detroit red wings
    -winning goal that eliminated the san jose sharks
    - controversial goal that could had eliminated the tampa bay lightning in game 6

9. Traum

Traum Regular Member

<sigh> why did I have to see this post all over again? I was just starting to get over the agony of seeing the flames lose that tight game by a hair...

(ok, I know it wasn't that close of a game... but still, lemme keep dreaming...)

-Rick

10. icandoall

icandoall Regular Member

Guitarist....
    Hey.. guyss.. Whats up with people saying that there will be no NHL next year.. Is that true?? I have no idea whats going on cause juss finished my exam and was busy studing plus.. i am busy watching soccer.. so if anyone knowss.. help meee

11. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    It's got something to do with a lockout (remember 1994-1995 when NHL only played half a season??)

Hopefully the NHLPA and the league can work things out.

This is old news though so if anybody has any new info plz add!! I'm too lazy to go searching LOL.

12. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i dont follow NHL progress other than the recent run up of our Flames. I think the owner wanted a salary cap and players dont. Owners are running a losing business because of the insane player salary but players dont want to give up what they have negotiated salary. Shutting down hockey will lessen the financial burden by the owners:p

#152 cooler, Jun 19, 2004
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2004
  13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

lockout lockout lockout!!! Would i see any badminotn on tv now? LOL, I highly doubt it.

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i am waiting for the year when all NHL, NBA, NFL have locked out because the players didn't agree on $mil+ income and then all the TV networks says "screw you all" and start broadcasting badminton instead.

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Nod, the player union still in denial and living in Alice Wonderland. Like any business, the owners can only suffer lost for so long and then have to refuse to continue. If one dont stop the bleeding,death will follow.

For those not familar with hockey history. It use to that players were paid peanuts and totally controlled and manipulated by the owners (not right either). Super hockey icons like Gordie howe, bobby orr, bobby hull, rocket richard, etc live below poverty during retirement. Then there is one player named Carl Brewer who spend his later life fighting, with his own money, sweat and tear, against the owners, namely Eagleson. (Actually, Brewer hired Eagleson, a lawyer, to help brewer fight the owners, and guess what, Eagleson screwed Brewer and transparently change side and work up to the top job on the owners side) Took them to court and finally broke the strangle hold by the owners. Only because of Carl Brewer, players can now enjoy the multi million$ contracts. I think the pendulum has now swung too hard in the other direction. What appreciation did Carl Brewer got from the super rich players? Zilch, goose egg.

pic of carl brewer, for better or worse, he gave the power back to the players

http://www.cbc.ca/lifeandtimes/brewer.html

#155 cooler, Sep 15, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2004
  16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Some statistics

average annual salary of NHL players (2002-03): 1.81 million USD**
    average annual salary of workers who don't have high school dipolma (2001): 22,700 CAD or 17,300 USD.

LOL

** excluding endorsements or playing in special events

#156 cooler, Sep 16, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2004
  17. trapped-never

trapped-never Regular Member

telecommunication engineer
    There are many views on who is guilty in case of NHL lock-out. I think that lot of truth is in opinion that club owners should act as adult human beings responsible for their actions. Nobody forced them to sign astronomic contracts for the players. If they cannot pay what they obliged to then they deserve bankrupt. I believe that wave of bankrupts would clear the air much more efficiently than fighting with NHLPA trade unions. In the same time I agree that position of NHLPA is currently not very smart. They are killing the goose that lays the golden eggs ( :) in Czech "they are cutting the branch below their arse").
    It has one positive effect for Czech fans. Many of our stars will play in Extraliga this year.

18. cooler

cooler Regular Member

That's is what the owners are close to doing as 2/3 of them loses money yearly anyway. Owners are 1 step from declaring bankrupcy but player union think owners are bluffing. The lockout is to see who blink first. I bet the player union would blink first. LOL

Lotta nhl players are now playing for special events(non NHL sanction) and charity games. Saw them on tv saying that 'it's great to play for charity causes' LOL Sure I said to myself, I wonder why don't they do that before, like for 8 months a year LOL

19. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Americans don't know, don't care about NHL
    A poll on American attitudes toward the week-old NHL lockout appears to confirm the worst fears of a hockey-loving Canadian public: the country we are relying on to sustain our national pastime could care less about the game.

Japan baseball is on strike too. Reason? Same as hockey, interest and fans are waning.