No Chinese, No Interview

Discussion in 'Thomas/Uber Cups 2004' started by tama-aki, May 7, 2004.

1. protomedea

protomedea New Member

Doh...I think you're missing the point. I did not say that everybody in the world must learn english, but all over the world this languange is used in an international event to remove the communication barrier. It's a standard to overcome a lot of communication problems. If you can't accept this than I don't know what else to say. On a side note, yes I have been to France and I know how proud they are of their mother tongue. And yes I do speak other languanges - I speak three fluently and am in the process of learning the fourth.

2. viver

viver Regular Member

I am not an Li admirer (never been even though he was an excellent player), but somehow agree with him not giving interviews in a language he is not fluent at. Sometimes even giving interviews in your own language cannot make your point across. I would say, if he is not comfortable giving interviews send somebody else to answer the reporters. That's why there are team spokespersons for.

On the other hand, is not only Chinese officials that do not dispatch information. To my knowledge, Indonesian players are also briefed on what can become public before the tournaments.

I still don't understand why is such a big problem with his refusal to grant interviews in English. Don't know if that is arrogance but won't try to assume anything. The only thing I regret is my ignorance in Chinese language. Should have taken the time to learn it when I could so I would read all the information available on the Chinese badminton sites.

3. viver

viver Regular Member

Sorry to digress from the topic.

French was a compulsory language during my secondary school years which was long loooong time ago. One of the teachers I had (he was a French national) mentioned that if you addressed in English to French people they would just simply ignore you - even if they know you were a tourist. Well, I don't really know about France as I only stayed at the airport for a few hours once. In some other European countries, the people used to turn thier backs when you address to them in a foreign language.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i agree with Viver on this one. if LiYB is not comfortable with English, he has the right to refuse interviews in English. HOWEVER, perhaps the misunderstanding comes in how he communicated that. perhaps a more polite and diplomatic manner will go down better for the reporters, it sounded like LiYB rudely refused the interviews. at least it came across that way from teh reports...

5. tama-aki

tama-aki Regular Member

Grad student
    Hmmm it's getting a bit out of topic, but I guess it's somehow related to arrogance. [moderator pls warn us if it's going away from topic]

Hi Yanpok, I speak 4 languages, with one almost dying because hardly using it again these days. Why English a preffered language? Not really preferred, it just happened the British have more colonized areas in the world compared to other countries with different language.

I found English rather hard to pronounce or learn compared to Indonesian. It seems to be systematic, but there are a lot of irregularities and inconsistencies. When I learnt Japanese, it's more complex but pronunciation is constant. But hey, there HAS TO BE one language so we can communicate. Chinese may have replaced English if they have conquered more places in the world.

And wait, isn't the Chinese around the world are also encouraged to learn the standard Chinese? Have you encountered communication breakdown among chinese speaking different dialects (e.g. Taiwanese vs Hong Kongers)? Do you think these people should stick to their dialects and use translator everywhere they go in China?

Can you imagine if people in Indonesia with 350 different local dialects can't communicate to each other? That's why we have Indonesian (malay). How about billions of people around the world?

Everyone in the world needs to learn English? It's their choice, but if he intends only to communicate to people speaking their language, secluding himself from the rest of the world, not interested in other's culture or what's going on around the world etc etc, then don't. If you feel your language has higher rank than English and you have an extreme nationalism, don't learn English.

I still do respect my country. I speak my mother tongue language with my family, friends, for my work but what happened if I don't speak English? I couldn't find a friend here to play badminton. How do I speak to friends from China, Vietnam, Africa or Belgium? I don't care if it's French, English, Chinese, Japanese or Arabic should be the international language, whatever it is I will learn it.

There's always translators around you can use, of course. But how far or how willing are you going to use them? What about for private issues? you definitely won't use a translator when you are making out with someone, will you? And how about where there's no translator mastering a particular language, it may be difficult to find a translator who master Chinese and Zulu language.

I believe people should be allowed to use their mother tongue and be proud of it and use it appropriately, but not secluding themselves completely from the world.

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    that is the general stereotypes that everybody thinks is so. but just like everybody thinks badminton is for the backyard, i found that stereotype isn't true. i have travelled in france for more than 2 weeks of my life and never had any trouble speaking english to anybody. maybe in a few cases but those i can attribute to either lack of English proficiency or just simply shyness. in comparison, if you go around HK or Japan and start speaking English, although all school children are supposed to know English, you will find that you have a lot of problem communicating.

anyway, we all disgressed. let's get back to the topic!

7. Syaoran_Style

Syaoran_Style Regular Member

HeiiiiN??? it Was A reaL FrencH?? ;) I Live Near Disneyland, this is The TOURISTCITY!! hahahaha i never seen a french ignore an english tourist, Nowadays in france, everybody speak english. Me and Seven are the example hahhahaha (euh..not totaly right seven has some english origins...LooL). If you come in france don't worry, everybody speak english lol. =p

SyAoRaN StiiiLe

8. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

What a load of absolute crud :p By that logic all the UN and EU assemblies and members should be in English. That'd save a lot of money for the EU if that was the case, I think their annual translating bill is in the millions of Euros (and it's just gotten a hell of a lot worse with the expansion). People don't even expect that diplomats all speak English (or any single language [1]), let alone badminton coaches. He's employed to be the best badminton coach in the world, from China's point of view as long as he can communicate with the players and make them perform, they couldn't give a rat's arse whether he can speak English.

[1] Why don't we all go out and learn Esperanto for laughs? [2]
    [2] No I didn't make that language up, if you really want to know what it is and why I used it as an example, google it.

9. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

-

" No Chinese no interview".

Sounds rude and brusque in common English but OK in Chinese or Japanese.

Th e trouble is that many Asians tend to do "direct translations" when using

English as a second language.So if this can create discord better to avoid.

Difficult I'm sure if you only speak English.(Arrogant?)

Perhaps better to leave translation to pros.

The whole Atomic bomb incident in ww2 Japan was caused by mistranslation of a key word from Japanese,surrender or sth.

I think it is quite plain where many people have already offered many explanations.More worrying is the trend of some suspicious characters who are out to create discord in other people's camps.I think that is the last thing desired as it assumes we were born yesterday, besides that is why so
    mush friction is caused in World badminton site and references to unruly conduct of some people.I think it is better to criticise owm shortcomings first,

one will notice that most people in this forum are trying to mend fences not create discord in other people's camps.

10. protomedea

protomedea New Member

I guess I was wrong about English being the lingua franca. And I'm surprised that you would not expect a diplomat to be proficient in it.

Let me take a step back - my reply to Yanpok was to show my disagreement to what he thought was 'disrespectful' to China. Exercising such gesture will only bring complaints which will in turn create a worse image of himself and the team. He was asked nicely anyway, right? I also don't think that the reporter feels his language is far more superior than Chinese.

One last thing, and this might as well be a question to everybody - does any other country have such problem when confronted by reporter who speaks only English?

/edit/
    I almost forget - I do agree that everybody should have the right to speak in whatever language he/she feels comfortable in. Doh...I hope I made myself clear this time :)

#50 protomedea, May 11, 2004
    Last edited: May 11, 2004
  11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    One of my experiences whilst travelling around Europe was meeting some girls from Israel as fellow back packers.

One of them said "People in other countries don't speak English, but English is the international language".

It left a very profound impression me, even now so with Protomedea's view.

People have different talents, strengths and weaknesses and this is reflected in all skills. Language ability is no exception.

The fact that language ability come easily to Protomedea does not mean Li Yong Bo has those abilities either! That is even with english being an 'international language'.

Therefore, I think it is entirely reasonable for Li Yong Bo to refuse an interview in a language he probably doesn't understand much of. I would do the same!

Most of all, I think Bbn has got it completley right. Direct translations from chinese to english can sound very rude especially if the speaker (I assume Li Yong Bo replied in english) does not know how to use the right tones (for english).

One of my experiences in HK was asking the local cantonese speakers translations to english for certain words (me being the learner).

They would reply (in english) "don't ask me!". In the tone they used, I initially interpreted as being quite rude. After a while, I realised this was a direct translation from the chinese equivalent. However, the chinese equivalent of "don't ask me" in normal conversation doesn't sound rude at all.

BTW, I do try to speak french in France - but give me a phrasebook first please!:D

12. protomedea

protomedea New Member

I never said language ability came easily to me - and in no way I said he doesn't have the right to speak whatever language he's comfortable in. I edited my last post - I do believe everybody has the right to speak in whatever language he/she feels comfortable in. The time stamp says 10.25 and yours was posted about 30 minutes later so you should be able to see it before you posted your reply.

Yes I do agree with Bbn's view that direct translations can create misunderstandings and further communication problems.

Talking about travelling - I've never done backpacking myself, but one of my japanese friends who's done it extensively told me that it's difficult to communicate with others if you don't speak english.

/edit/
    I added my comment on the time stamp.

#52 protomedea, May 11, 2004
    Last edited: May 11, 2004
  13. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Well, we should consider that, if we use Chinese, will he accept Interviews with friendiness?? :)

1.If he would accpet interviews and talk very friendly, then I guess it's all about the language problem.:eek:
    2.If even if we use Chinese, and he is still being crazy&rude, then I guess it's his problem then ;)

Did any of those reporters who speak in Chinese (not necessary from China only) get to do interviews with him?:rolleyes:

14. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

-

I think li already said he would entertain interview if conducted in English.

And even if proved Li arrogant what then?

he is trying to win the thomas Cup, with a great team, rivals are jealous and trying to create divide and rule and cause failure in Chinese team. Why dont we just concentrate on his good deeds first and let him do his job?

I dont even think eg. Taufik is arrogant hes just headstrong and has the guts to challenge a very arrogant and corrupt PBSI, Taufik is a real gent on court , but he has to admit that he is wrong , he has already been humiliated in front of his own crowd, not to admit that would be arrogance.

15. wwcbro

wwcbro Regular Member

This is an excerpt from an article posted by ants from The Star newspaper..

"...But Yongbo caused an uproar when he told the translator to inform the journalists that the press conference that he was giving was only for the Chinese media."

Full article in this thread

http://badmintonforum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=15603

Seem he does have a interpreter, only he wants the interview for the chinese media. Arrogant would be an understatement.

16. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

-

So even if Li is arrogant to some people then what, throw a water bottle at him, ask the China Ba to sack him,
    what is the intention?Incite hatred?Create mischief?

Or do you want the statement to be conveyed to China that he should be more open?Citicism must be constuctive not chaotic.

17. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    It's bad for the sport

What goes on outside China doesn't matter to China, and the outside world shouldn't bother with what goes in in China. Now, there's a coarse generalization. But even in today's modern China, isn't there still some truth in it?

Sometimes I get the feeling that for the Chinese, and especially LYB, badminton is a Chinese affair. Publicity and popularity in other countries doesn't really matter. Therefore LYB does not bother with foreign media. I don't think he lacks competence for dealing with foreign media, it's just that he thinks it is pointless to do it. In one way he is right -- in China, badminton is in a strong position. In many other parts of the world, however, badminton is struggling with popularity. This will affect Chinese badminton in the end.

Handling public relations and media would be part of the job description for any national squad coach from any other country, in any other sport. I'd say it is a problem when the coach for the world's most sucessful players is not prepared to promote the sport outside his own country. If he doesn't have the motivation, language competence, or time to do it himself, he should have an assistant coach or press officer handle it for him.

Every new soccer fan is potentially a lost badminton fan. ;)

18. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

-

From that point of view and considering the source

sounds sensible as it is unbiased.

I wouldnt want to go into politics and agenda why certain people do certain things, I think we are all mature enough to know that . Unless you want to the ugly details which I rather not divulge.Like i said criticsm done in a matured way is OK but not witch hunting and calling people thieves which is a favourite sport in some places.(Most of you in Asia understand).

As for promotion, even the IBF thinks that many affluent people are not investing enough in the sport, they are there to keep it as an Olympic sport.I think the people who invest most are the Japanese and Chinese(tell me if I'm wrong).As for US it will never happen as the wrong people
    are playing the sport.

I think then the matter should be rightly brought up to the IBF, we should not incite hatred without any proof.It is the source and agenda of the criticism which is dubious.

19. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

-

Oh yes and how do we know whether it is LYB?

Not all BAs or governments are run the same way, LYB may just implementing policy, just a cog mebbe.

I think gone are the days of"Friendship first before competition" and throwing matches to give face to weak opponents. Nowadays China is like the US,winner takes all
    and surely appears arrogant, who wouldn't.

Sad thing is people can produce great tennis players and table tennis players and they all disappear in a decade, isnt it all down to money?I dont think it is fair to make certain countries to foot the bill.

20. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Well, it depends WHERE you are (touristic or not) but it's true most French people don't like speaking english, so if they don't have a good reason to speak it, they might not bother...
    (having said that, some people in France are also even reluctant to speaking FRENCH(!), which they consider as the "invador's language"...)

Anyway, this is about normal population, but one thing is sure, a sport's reporter will ALWAYS be capable of speaking english, and there will ALWAYS be an interpretor to translate from english to french, so that it can be understood by everybody.