No Singaporean seeds at Singapore Open in June

Discussion in 'Singapore Open / Malaysia Open / Chinese Taipei Op' started by seawell, May 29, 2006.

1. seawell

seawell Regular Member

[​IMG]

Ronald Susilo

Badminton: No Singaporean seeds at Singapore Open in June
    By Patwant Singh, Channel NewsAsia

SINGAPORE : They might be unseeded but the Singapore Badminton Federation feels the local players will still do well at the upcoming Singapore Open.

The Singapore Open has been attracting the big names, but this year, the local shuttlers are not seeded because of a lack of competitions.

Singapore's top women's doubles pair of Jiang Yianmei and Li Yuija are up against the Indonesian fifth seeds, Jo Novita and Gresya Polii.

The players, though, are not worried about their seedings.

Said Jiang, "We didn't take part in so many Opens this year because we had the Commonwealth Games and Uber Cup to play early in the year. That is why our ranking has dropped, so even though we are not seeded we have confidence to play with them."

The top Singapore woman, Li Li, meets Malaysian Norshahiza Baharum in the first round.

Another Malaysian, Kuan Beng Hong, seeded 5th, takes on Singapore's Ronald Susilo in the men's competition.

Once ranked 7th in the world, Susilo has now dropped to 127.

Another difference this time is the points system, which has changed from 15 to 21 to make the game more spectator and media friendly.

Said Jacqueline Lim, acting CEO of the Singapore Badminton Association, "For Li Li, I think she is adapting well; for Aiying, she would have preferred 15 points because she is super fit. Ronald -- coming back he would prefer a 21-point system because he has still not fully recovered his fitness totally."

All the action starts on June 5 at the Singapore Indoor stadium, and at stake is US$170,000 in prize money. - CNA /ct

2. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Susilo Vs Beng Hong

If Beng Hong does not win, he may be in trouble with BAM. I suspect he will win against Susilo with tutelage from Li Mao.

3. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    The news of KBH going under the wing of Li Mao is only announced very recently. Isn't it silly to expect immediate dramatic changes? Don't forget your Internet timezone does not co-related to real life.

4. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    KBH may not be able to improve so fast since he will be under Li Mao now. It will take some time. However Li Mao may be able to help him strategy wise when he is playing on court.

5. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Jiang Yanmei/Li Yujia vs Jo Novita/Greysia Polii....what an unlucky draw for both pairs. Despite being seeded, Jo/Greysia draws one of their bitter rivals. A 50-50 match...with Jo/Greysia slightly holding the edge due to their form recently.

6. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

It may look silly but bear in mind that KBH is not incapable --- he is just not attacking when he should be -- he seems to be playing a non-confident game.

You would have noticed when he was playing Joachim in the 3rd singles for Malaysia in the recent TC, he was not sure whether to attack or to play a rally type game -- he chose the latter to his detriment. When he decided it was not working in the middle of the 2nd game (when he was losing), he threw caution to the wind and started attacking (and narrowed the game somewhat) --- I think that lack of aggresiveness lost him the game. Clearly, KBH was playing like he was in a 'friendly'.

Li Mao just have to fine-tune him a bit to get his mind focused on an aggresive game (i.e. get his adrenalin going). I am not saying he could not have done that under Misbun but Li Mao seems to do that to players better.

My conclusion, therefore, is that he can turn around quite quickly. I am looking forward to seeing him do that.

Feel free to voice your own opinions.

7. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Well if mine doesn't yours shouldn't be either !

8. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Stock Broker
    On paper, KBH has a clear advantage over Ronald Susilo but don't expect the latter to give in so easily without a good fight! :D

Show them that you can do it, Ronald! :)

9. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    And this fine-tuning you were refering to is actually going to happen in the Singapore Open against Ronald Susilo even before anything much is done by Li Mao on KBH yet considering that the news has just been announced that KBH "will be" under Li Mao? Things just happen overnight? Or you actually thought that things will happen in between the two times you refresh your browser?

10. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

From an ex-West Coast person (ex Greenacres) to another, dream on:p

11. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

One question : as much as I do not know whether the transfer has occurred (KBH to Li Mao), how would you know whether it hasn't ? I think if you do not know, then my guess should be better than yours as when BAM says something, I expect it to be followed thru immediately. Why would they want to hold on to him when they can pan him off to Li Mao quickly ?;)

12. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    Yeah... Who's the clown who just read some news that KBH is going under Li Mao and immediately expect a quick fix on KBH in time for the Singapore Open when I seriously doubt if they have even spent any much time together? Go on, refresh your browser some more and keep waiting.

KBH will need decent amount of time to see the effects of improvement if any from a new coach. Things like training and improvement takes time in real life and does not work on your Internet time.

13. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    I seriously doubt Ronald's capabilities. He seems like a one-hit wonder. Ever since he won the Japan Open in 2004, he has not done anything much to move one step higher.

14. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Well you seem very vociferous about things even though you don't answer my questions on whether you knew he had transferred yourself.

And you obviously do 'selective reading' as people with listening problems normally do. Calling me a clown when I think the clown is really you ! Are u serious ?

15. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    The news report came out on 24/5 following a BAM decision during a meeting on 23/5. What do you think? Furthermore, KBH was in Phillipines these couple days for their open...

Oops... Let me think... that's long enough for you huh?

#15 EastDevil, May 29, 2006
    Last edited: May 29, 2006
  16. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

KBH was in the Philippines these couple of days ..... ? U should be more precise when arguing like this. The Philippines Open finished more than a couple of days ago !!!! Do you know the meaning of 'a couple of days' --- it means two days !

17. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    Okay, these few days then. It doesn't change the fact. I might not be good with my english, but I'm definitely not clown.

18. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Well, I mentioned that Li Mao will fine-tune him. How much time do you think that will take (just to argue the point with you )? We are not talking about training him to play badminton -- that should already be a 'learned' thing with any player of his calibre.

We are talking about strategy here(things like when to attack or how to attack or when/how to draw the opposition). It is about talking to KBH on these. Clearly KBH has all the skills in playing badminton but what is lacking is how to play it.

If you do not understand that, then carry on arguing.:rolleyes:

19. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    For the sake of friendlier argument, do note that strategy is not just about talking and drawing on papers. If it were that easy, Li Mao would have made a phone call to KBH long ago or even spoke to him during Thomas Cup and hoorah, KBH become mentally tough. Drills are also needed to burn in those ideas and persistent mental conditioning. Going to the shrink once will not fix all mental problems.

On a side note, your idea reminds me of those kung fu movies where some master whispers a some cool phrases and suddenly, some guy immediately masters the last ultimate stroke in some One-Sun Finger or Nine Ying White Bones Claws kind of thing. :)

#19 EastDevil, May 29, 2006
    Last edited: May 29, 2006
  20. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

I know what you are saying. I am not suggesting for one minute that it will be a 'cure all' with just a pep talk --- KBH has a huge problem. He lacks confidence and it is a huge responsibility on his shoulers that he felt at the TC. He did not know what to do when he faced Joachim who took advantage of him.

Li Mao can change that because he will just tell him in the face (in fact he will be so blunt that it will shake KBH to perform). But one thing I can be sure of and that is a strong strategy talk (strong one) will lift KBH. Now I maybe proven wrong but in this case I know I am right. No need for insults my friend. It is only a forum.