No Singaporean seeds at Singapore Open in June

Discussion in 'Singapore Open / Malaysia Open / Chinese Taipei Op' started by seawell, May 29, 2006.

1. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    I think there's already too much pressure and expectation on KBH to turn around well soon. What if he doesn't in the near future? Maybe he needs a longer period of time to get his mental right? Don't you think fans and media is already piling too much on his shoulders already?

2. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

In a way you are right about the pressure on him. But the fans want action and if you cannot give it to them they put pressure on BAM. Badminton is a popular game in Malaysia and a large population of people watch the game (including me). Players get pampered if they perform but the opposite (give them hell) can also happen if they don't. KBH was expected to perform and did not. He has to start taking the pressure else he would not last very long in this game. There are many 'ducks' in this game where they do not perform and they fall away. But I think they have to learn to come out of the umbrella and perform.

If you have read all the news, he is expected to perform now. Having said all that (I do sympathise with him), I am pretty sure he will perform under Li Mao (whether it is a day or a couple). Misbun has given him a very good grounding and now Li Mao will take him to the next level in mental preparation. Singapore Open will surely see a stronger KBH.

But feel free to voice your opinion as always.

3. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    If both players are fully fit, there will be no doubt that Ronald will be the major favourite. But with Ronald still recovering his fitness, Beng Hong has a good chance. Not because of tutelage from Li Mao because that is too soon.

Anyway, I think even with years under Li Mao, I don't think Kuan has it in him to beat a fully-fit Ronald. I predict that in years to come, Kuan will be overshadowed by the upcoming youngsters, and fade away.

4. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Agree. Kuan Beng Hong has a serious crisis of confidence right now. His early loss to Nguyen Tien Minh last week is another disaster which I believe will take some time to recover from.

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Stock Broker
    Wished I'd known you earlier! ;)
    But how come you're now residing in KL? You must have originated from KL, came to Singapore to study/work and now back to your hometown, right? :D

But seriously, as hcyong has said, don't discount Ronald who may not be 100% fit, but he still retains the skills and now has a strong determination to make a comeback. There is fire in his eyes and this augurs well for his resurrection. Maybe Peter Gade has shown him the way and now, look at veteran Peter, despite being down for six months or more with the same Achillies tendon injury, he is now European champion and world no. 3, and is more than a match for any aspiring young players.

I hope Ronald will dream on, because dreams can come true!

"Fairy tales (and dreams) can come true and it can happen to YOU, if you're young at heart...and fire with determination and passion"

6. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

U probably know the boy better in terms of his character --- yes, I do detect from his play that he is weak. But people can be motivated to perform.

How do you think LCW became so good -- and yet I can remember he was noted to be somewhat of a weakling initially ? LCW had ambition and was motiviated by his embarassing losses. He did not want to be a have-been.

Some people have it and some need others to push them forward. KBH is the latter type. Believe me, Li Mao would not be sweet talking the guy to perform -- he will lay it on him really bluntly. It will probably be something along these lines "U get the f..k going or we do it for you !":D

Ok jokes aside, KBH knows what he has to do --- he said that in his press interviews after the TC that if given a 2nd chance he would do it differently. Of course he would, he played like sh.t in the TC !

7. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    Hope Ronald Susilo will come out and prove us wrong.

8. dugz86

dugz86 Regular Member

anyone know singapore open drawing? According to Soni, he wont play singapore open. Indonesia will send taufik,simon,alamsyah,tommy.janu

9. kyiyu

kyiyu Regular Member

General Manager
    It supposed to be out yesterday as per IBF. But it is still not available in IBF web. But I guess that draw had been done. Noted some match schedule indicating in Strait Times newspaper (today).

10. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

I worked in Singapore before but now work in Malaysia. When I was in Singapore I barracked for Singapore but they had no good players then; now that I am in KL, I barrack for Malaysia (even though I am not Malaysian). LCW is the sort of player everyone wants to back to win, including me.

This is how fair I am:cool:

11. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Stock Broker
    That's fair. Not a Singaporean, not a Malaysian - this is not fair! :confused: :confused: Can't be Indonesian, Thai ... your command of the English language doesn't trace you to these countries. Wonder... and you must have been in Singapore some time ago and for quite a while too...:mad:

12. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

I was brought up in Penang but my family moved to Australia. In my younger days, I used to attend the same school as Tan Aik Huang but trained under his brother, Aik Mong. Never made it beyond the school team but understand a lot about badminton from the Pros.

One of my favourite remembrances was that Aik Huang said it was hell playing Rudy coz Rudy Hartono was so fit and to keep up with the guy was the hardest thing to do. Being a player myself, I realise that the fitness was something that a lot of people take for granted (that it was easy to achieve). I knew even training strenuously would not be enough to get me playing 3 sets properly. If I look at the current players (lin Dan, Bao, LCW, Gade), they are not just playing every day, they carry weights; do hops; run the KMs every second day to keep fit and conditioned. It is tough and they deserve all their accolades and winning purses.

13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Stock Broker
    Ah...now there's the Penang side of you (once a Malaysian ;) ) although you are now an Aussie! Well not a few Malaysians migrated and became Australian citizens. I met Kim and BadFever at the Melbourne Commonwealth Games last March.

Of course Tan Aik Huang was a household name during his prime but his international fame was relatively short, having won the All England only once, if I can recall. With Rudy Hartono around, no wonder his share of the limelight was curtailed. On the other hand, fellow Penangnite, Eddy Choong's AE achievements lasted much longer, as there was nobody in the mould of 8-time AE Champion, Rudy Hartono, to stand in his was during the earlier period.

Anyway, X Ball, a belated warm welcome onboard the BC ship! :)

#33 Loh, May 31, 2006
    Last edited: May 31, 2006
  14. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Thanks Man. Cheers to you.

15. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    Even the professionals face the same difficulty play 3 sets against their peers. So there's nothing much wrong with not being able to play 3 sets properly.

I believe on the contrary, that training strenously would be able to help a person play long matches. The only problem is how much committment that you would want to dedicate to it. As its not a job to us and we simply have other things to do besides our actual job, we probably could not afford that kind of time and effort.

16. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    Its not the nationality but the place of education. I have a lot of indonesian friends, in fact, my best friend is indonesian and they are good in English as they are educated either in international schools in jakarta or singapore or some high school in US. So its pretty much where the person is schooled.

17. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

I was very bad in English when I was young -- spelling, grammer, you name it I got faults with them. This day I am a public speaker and I deliver complex technical presentations to everyone, from CEOs to directors. It is not the schooling, it is the reading and the practice of the language.

18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Stock Broker
    Agree, it really depends on your exposure to the language, how often do you practise it with good speakers.

Well we have a good example in badMania, an Indonesian Chinese who has been schooled in Singapore and who expresses himself rather well in all his posts. When I met him in Hong Kong last year, I thought he was Singaporean. :D