Nothing is Left to Chance in Malaysia's Preparation

Discussion in 'Thomas Cup / Uber Cup 2010' started by X Ball, Apr 27, 2010.

1. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman

HH is the key player for mas to win TC

spot the difference???:D:D

2. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Frankly, this preparation still pales in comparison to the 1992 squad preparation.

The 1992 squad was prepped up and the coaching and fitness regime was rebuilt from early 1988. Top coaching staff coupled with the most professional BAM management setup ever seen in its history were deployed, and yet it still took 4 and a quarter years to achieve the Thomas Cup win.

The Malaysian squad then was seen as competitive in only 4 of the 5 ties. Although the overall expectations to win the Cup wasn't great, it was mentioned in the press that surely being runners-up for the third Thomas Cup running is no longer good enough.

Among the coaches interviewed in the 1992 Thomas Cup, only Morten Frost (then coaching Denmark, I think) dared to say to the Malaysian press, that Malaysia has a respectable chance despite the lack of balance in the 3rd singles.

Fast forward to today: The current Malaysian team is only competitive in 2 ties, with the other 3 ties remain suspect against the stronger teams. At this point I cannot see them beyond the semifinal stage.

3. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

If you are asked to be the PR/Rah Rah arm of BAM, you will fail miserably. Anyway, I dont think you look good in a cheerleader uniform.:D

4. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

No, no - there are the late comers - ACW, AD, ACL - bet you have not heard of them.:D

5. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Err, I have graduated from, ahem, fanatical cheerleading to a more even tempered, almost neutral fan. There is no compelling reason whatsoever for me to be involved or associated with a not so well managed BAM.

Now at the simulation match at Juara Stadium. They even simulated the torn court we regularly see in Malaysia Open events. And WCH, as old as he is, is still good enough to beat TCS in straight games.

6. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    The injured and injury prone players are not being "simulated" tonight. Other than Julia Wong and Lydia Cheah, Chin Eei Hui is also not featured. Her place is taken up by Lim Yin Loo.

7. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    The 2nd MD simulation has gone to rubber. Mak/Tan had the chance to win it in straight games, but they let slip a good lead in game 1 and almost did it again in game 2. Same problem that they had in Malaysian Open and Asian Championships.

8. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    First match won by Malaysian backup squad, Mak/Tan beating Fairuz/Zakry in 3 after almost surrendering another huge lead.

I think I'll go home now.

9. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Actually you forgot 1 part, the BAM admin were slow to book the courts earlier, hence training at Stadium Putra can only start May 3, instead of this week.

And the internal problems with Ganga Rao getting sacked, ING in then halfway in as sponsor. Of course, the many changes surrounding appointment of TKH, which saw Pang going to WD dept,etc,etc. ;)

10. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Bravo, Mak/Tan. They have to improve their focus, I guess, since they keep surrending their lead. And now, I hope this has proved that Fuzzy can no longer keep up with the back-up...time's up. They had their motivation camps, they had special training, but they lost to a pair who is NOT EVEN IN THE THOMAS CUP.

11. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    think it positively
    we just won wjc
    we just won vietnam ic
    and we have more than 10 pairs of md;)

12. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

all i've gotta write is:
    i miss the sound from Prof. P...

13. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
    That preparation looks incredible, that's professionalism, they just made TC their aim, their goal, I think now Mas focus on others tournaments like WC or others. China win it 'cause they focus on it, they prepare players for it (just look the chinese squad, there are surprise in the squad in itself !)

14. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Actually, I don't understand the row at BAM. Rao must have antagonise Dato Nadzmi with the ING sponsorship so much that he had to dismiss him.

If the reasons are valid for the dismissal, then I think BAM is pretty decisive. Rao said he will respond after the TC. So he will reveal the truth of the dismissal soon enough, if he dares to. The suspense will obviously cause intriques but it is good for this forum : lots to speculate on and lots to conjecture and talk about. :D

15. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    QUOTA... that's the keywords in Msia... Without Quota... fuzzzy would not have made it into the THomas Squad cup... just like life in Msia... LCW, KKK, TBH, WCH would have to carry this Quota-Fuzzy!

This is the Malaysia Way!

16. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

May be, I say May be, this is a plot by Rexy that he will field the young pair instead of the Fuzzy pair, and other teams will be caught off guard :eek:

I agree that the Fuzzy pair should NOT be included in the TC squad... but again, when it comes to "quota", I leave it to ... ahem.... ;)

17. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

what is that "quota" you guys talking about? selection based on ethnic rather than merit?

18. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Strong possibility -- Rexy is cunning as a fox. Let them 2nd guess him.:D

19. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affirmative_action
    someone should add the 'quota' term into wiki:D

#39 cooler, Apr 29, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  20. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Relax.........they wanted to have a '1 Malaysia' spirit in 1 Malaysia team....!!:D