Obnoxious ?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Paritos, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Paritos

Paritos Regular Member

Student
    My badminton partner just bought a Yonex Armortec 500, 3U G3. Isn't it a little obnoxious since he is not a muscular player (weak but good aim) to string with BG65 @ 18 lbs such a racket ? Shouldn't you go with a flexible racket and tighter string to have both power and strength instead of an head-heavy and stiff racket with looser string ?

2. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

why should you care about what your partner prefers for himself?

3. Paritos

Paritos Regular Member

Student
    Because we play doubles maybe, Einstein ?

4. Paritos

Paritos Regular Member

Student
    Help please ? I need to get advices from the pros in here !

5. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    it doesn't matter what he uses. everyone has different preferences into how they play and what they play with.

6. Kimmysolucious

Kimmysolucious Regular Member

And isn't it also annoying how one does not recognize or appreciate advice when being answered?

Case in point:
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

Look, the point is, if your partner wants a certain specs to his own needs, then let him. This is what he likes and feels comfortable with. Why are you going to demand a change when its not up to you to do so? Besides, you mentioned that he just got his racket. So he's probably just getting used to it or what not.

And if this is not the answer you were looking for then maybe you should have just asked the question directly instead of pointing out your partner is weak as the subject. If so, there are plenty of threads on the Armortec500. Hopefully you will find what you're looking for.

7. Paritos

Paritos Regular Member

Student
    I'm asking advice not to make him buy a new one, but to see if it's alright and to apply new strategies if needed. If you cared to read my whole post, I clearly state that he is not weak at badminton but muscularly. I'm asking if his racket suits him properly, physically meant, nothing more.

8. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    If he plays well with it, then don't complain. If he does, then offer some advice. Besides there are lots of "stick" people (myself included) who use some pretty heavy racquets (woven7, AT700, etc).

9. coolhandluke

coolhandluke Regular Member

I think your partner probably wanted a slightly head heavy racket to get that extra sting in his "weak" smashes while maintaining good control, and AT-500 fits the bill perfectly on that count. You lose a bit of maneuverability on defense but the head heaviness makes up for it in offense. You certainly do not need huge muscles to use this racket and it isn't stiff either. A slender, barely 5 ft tall Japanese girl at my club hits explosive smashes with her AT-500. If I have any quibble with his choice, it lies with the choice of stringing and tension for this racket. Anyway, I guess it boils down to his style of play and technique.

Btw, I don't see any reason to see a person's racket choice as "obnoxious". Different people prefer different things and acceptance of such differences is vital for good doubles play and life, in general. As he just got a new racket, it's gonna take a little while to get used to it and play at a good level. Take an extra dose of patience before you hit the court.

Why worry about things out of your control instead of enjoying the sport, eh? ;)

10. Paritos

Paritos Regular Member

Student
    Oh, for the << obnoxious >> part, it is the fact you use a racket that is meant for control with strings for people who lack strength... Good advice !

11. hiroisuke

hiroisuke Regular Member

Student
    What's your point? If the racket helps control and the strings add strength, then there's no problem.

Also, I agree with Kimmysolucious, no need to take such a tone. Furthermore, only your partner can truly speak for himself. Anyways, if they try other rackets that work better for him, tell him.

12. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

You can't choose what someone can or can't like, from what it appears, it is you who is being obnoxious.

13. GunBlade008

GunBlade008 Regular Member

Student, Retail.
    Agreed :) Strength and power aren't all that matters in a game. If you find it "obnoxious" that he wants to use a particular racquet, then you should search for another partner, preferably one who fits your personality, and can't stand for a difference in opinion and prefernces.

14. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    You can do a search in the equipment forums. You'll find an endless stream of info on strings, rackets etc. And well you can tell your partner about what you think, show him info online, but ultimately if he doesn't listen there's nothing u can do:cool:

15. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    It takes time to adjust to new equipment

Hi Paritos,

So... Are you saying that since he started using the new Yonex Armortec 500, his game has gone downhill ???

Be patient with him... It takes time to adjust to new equipment. :):):)

Cheers... chris@ccc

16. jerby

jerby Regular Member

way to kick of your new BC account...welcome!

I think your looking at it a little bit too black and white, "the at500 is for power, it lacks control" "the strings aren't good for control" etc etc...

Tell me, what exactly is "control"? How do you define it?

And what the rest said, let the guy make up his own mind...

17. Paritos

Paritos Regular Member

Student
    Can't people read... I won't choose for him. It's HIS choice ! I'm just asking if he made the good one.

18. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Anyone using an AT500 strung at 18lbs, has mosty likely made the wrong choice ;-) ..

That aside, its useless trying to tell players what is good for them.. Most players don't even listens to their coaches in this rescpect.. they buy by brand, feeling,vanity,marketing or even looks more than "performance" in most cases :)

The only thing you can do, if you feel it hurts your doubles, is to try to lend him or get some other players racekt for him to try and then compliment the improvement (if any).. The decision of which racket to like, will of course always be his anyway..

/Twobeer

19. BadFever

BadFever Regular Member

I am using NS9K with BG65. Initial tension was 20lbs. Already 3 months into using it. Current tension should be either 17 or 18lbs. I don't see any problem with it. I still enjoy my badminton. As long as your partner is enjoying his badminton, I would say he made a good choice.

20. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Anyone happy playing badminton, made a good choice (even if they wasted some uneccesary money) :D :cool:

/Twobeer