Oh my god. LD, not again?

Discussion in 'Japan Open / Indonesia GP Gold 2011' started by leesing2k, Sep 23, 2011.

1. staples

staples Regular Member

I believe it was Lin Dan, or at least China, who started this trend. That is to go hug their coaches before going over to shake their opponent's hand. But it was hilarious to watch when other countries started doing the same thing when they beat China in some matches.

2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Winner cannot be offended if the loser think of leaving the court ASAP.

If I were LCW, wishing to congratulate CL for winning the match; But if CL does not come to the net to accept my handshake ASAP, I would not would wait for him.

As we all know, after losing a match, we just want to retire (to go into self-examining mode).

A winner who does not feel how his/her loser is feeling, but to go celebrating on his/her own with teammates; he/she cannot be offended if the loser think of leaving the court ASAP.

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Winner cannot be offended if the loser think of leaving the court ASAP

If I were LCW, wishing to congratulate CL for winning the match; But if CL does not come to the net to accept my handshake ASAP, I would not would wait for him.

As we all know, after losing a match, we just want to retire (to go into self-examining mode).

A winner who does not feel how his/her loser is feeling, but to go on celebrating with teammates; he/she cannot be offended if the loser think of leaving the court ASAP.

4. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    [video=youtube;seH1tuNTVas]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seH1tuNTVas[/video]

5. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Days after fefeat

Looking back now, it wasn't that un-respectful for Chen Long behavior, who would not be overly excited beating the whole #1, you and me mostly would have done more than what Chen Long did like pulling pants downs and shaking our asses :D(may be just me!)
    As long as Chen Long intention was not to disgrace Chong Wei then it was OK in my book. To Chen Long, the win was the big turn point in his young career so we should acknowledge and understand that too.
    Same thing can be said about Datuk Lee, no need to feel so down for the defeat as he has been performing way above our expectation since Olympics, who would have thought Chong Wei actually improving since?
    Be more understanding and enjoy while Chong Wei is still around.

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    good find. although more subdued, the lengthy celebration isn't much shorter than CL's.

7. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

And LD gave a hearty hug, unlike what someone did at Korea Open and Japan Open :)

8. ytyang

ytyang Regular Member

As long as CHN treats badminton as a team sport, there is no reasons to
    believe that CHN will stop doing match-fixing thingy even the quota is removed.

As a matter of fact that would likely make it even worse as there will be
    more inner-compatriot matches from the early rounds.

9. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Dont think so, if no quota...........Chn will fix all the way to make sure as many as they can to maximize the qualified chn players...

Now, to qualified 3 players they fixed, if to have 5 reps.........they have to fix even more....LOL

10. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    ??? I thought the draw was random that set up so that the top 4 seeds are in different halves. Didn't know that there was a deliberate and calculated move by the Japan Open organizers to favour LCW.

11. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

That's the problem. :D:D:D

Most of us (including BWF) regard the Thomas, Uber and Sudirman Cups as our Badminton Teams Sports (as played as nations-vs-nations).

But for China, ALL tournaments are regarded as Teams Sports.

:D:D:D

12. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Most players usually celebrate after thanking their opponent(s) first.

Without opponent(s), there would be "No Match".

What I am saying is we should thank our opponent first (for participating in the match). Then, celebrate with coaches, teammates and fans who have helped/supported in that match.

13. flite

flite Regular Member

JO 2010? The audio was bad. I can't hear what the commentator had to say after LCW victory. Congratulatory note??

But in JO 2011 I heard some comments from the great Gillian Clark loud and clear immediately right after the last point which was awarded to CL but I couldn't recall it.

Pls anyone? Some sort of video like what we got here.

14. yamsyams

yamsyams Regular Member

Hypothetical situation: LCW beats LD in the Olympic Finals next year. Lies on the floor for half a minute before going to hug his coaches and then returning to thank LD only to find that LD has left the court. Would you berate LD for not waiting to congratulate LCW? Honestly ask yourself that. I'm sure you've seen the MO 2006 MSF. Did you at any point mentally criticize LD for not shaking LCW's hand after the match?

On a related note, I'm sure you can draw some parallels between the two matches. Both eventual winners were underdogs at the point in time. And both, I'm sure, were overcome with emotion. They just chose to express it in different manners, because they are different men, and there's nothing wrong with either.

15. yamsyams

yamsyams Regular Member

Since when did Gillian Clark become the authority on the conduct of players? My respect for her dropped a whole lot after this match. How sure was she that CL was influencing the line judge? Or rather, how CAN she be sure? In my opinion, very full of herself to pass judgment, without any qualification, on another person. But that's not even my main problem with her comments. Perhaps the walkovers the previous day had gotten to her. Perhaps she liked LCW's playstyle better and was sore to see him lose. Regardless, as a commentator appointed by the BWF, she is supposed to remain impartial. But that's clearly not what happened.

I would like to refer you to the 2000 AE MDF, where upon the last shot landing on the ground, Ha Tae Kwon threw his racket into the air, ran a lap around his half the court jumping into the air as he did so, made some dance moves facing the crowd, leaped over the advertising boards, then did a lap around the entire court, before going to shake hands with his opponents. Yoo Yong Sung barely looked at him when they shook hands. Yet, not a single word of disapproval from Gillian Clark. It was all about the amazing match that just took place.

And in the semifinal of this JO, PG shouted at the umpire at 11-15 in the first game to "wake up". Had it been CL who did that, I can pretty much guarantee that GC would be all over him in a second about how he's being rude and intimidating the umpire and why wasn't he given a yellow card for misconduct. No such treatment for Gade, of course.

Similarly, in the 2010 TC Final, CJ vs SS for MS2. After CJ won and was celebrating with the Chinese team, GC commented that "and it really is a shame that the celebrations cannot be curtailed for just a moment to congratulate opponents". In drastic contrast, 2004 TC SF, Peter Rasmussen vs SS for MS3. PR's actions post-match almost exactly mirrored CJ's. Yet, no comment on that from GC. It was all about how Denmark has come through.

16. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

during the 2008 OLY MS final first game. Lin Dan was looking toward the lineman for a questionable call, and apologised to LCW immediately that he shouldn't be doing it. of course that wasn't enough for Clark, she was still on it at mid-game interval saying 'the damage already done... etc'

#96 AlanY, Sep 27, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  17. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

:D:D:D Hahaha... You think I would criticize one player who does it, and not another player who does it too?

No way. If I were Lin Dan having lost to LCW, and if LCW doesn't not come to shake my hand before going to hug his coaches, I would leave the court too.

But if LCW lies on the floor for some time, I would wait. Only if LCW goes to hug his coaches before shaking my hand, I would leave. LCW can chase after me later, to shake my hand.

#97 chris-ccc, Sep 27, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  18. yamsyams

yamsyams Regular Member

Many Malaysian fans thought differently after the MO 06 match. If that's your true response, then props to you sir :)

19. flite

flite Regular Member

That is your individual P.O.V. Talking about authority (since you brought it up) GC has a respectful measure of it, you have none... sorry.

GC knew precisely when to say the right thing at the right time and that is why she is a full time commentator for BWF besides being a retired professional players She follow the tour all the time and knew a lot of stuff which we don't know that prompted her for all her respective comments on each different player.

Unless you are trying to say that the great yamsyams knew better.

#99 flite, Sep 28, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  20. flite

flite Regular Member

Video again anyone??

Btw, is there any existing thread which talk about badminton commentators such as GC for instance? How reputable they are and shall or shall we not turn off the audio for future tournaments??