Open to boost RP badminton – Taufik

Discussion in 'Indonesia Open 2006 / Philippine Open 2006' started by cooler, Jan 16, 2006.

1. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Open to boost RP badminton – Taufik
    Mon Jan 16,2006

REIGNING OLYMPIC and world champion Taufik Hidayat has lauded the staging of the first Philippine Open Badminton Championships, saying the event will further raise the level of play here and at the same time help develop local players of world-class caliber.

"From what I’ve seen, the physique of Filipinos is identical to most of the world champions whom I have played with. The only element needed for major success by Filipino players is more international competitions," said Hidayat.

The Indon ace, who became the first player to win both the Olympic and world singles crown, is expected to lead the foreign challenge that includes the likes of Nathan Robertson, Gail Emms, Lin Dan, Pi Hongyan, Mia Audina Tjiptawan in the upcoming Philippine Open slated March 1-5 at the PhilSports Arena in Pasig City.

Hidayat, widely regarded as one of the best singles players in the sport, was actually scheduled to grace the launch of the 0,000 event last week, being its chief endorser, but the five-time Indonesia Open winner begged off at the last minute after sustaining an injury.

Still, he praised the holding of the championship, saying he’s raring to renew ties with the Filipinos and play before the local crowd after he saw action, along with the other world-caliber players in the MVP Cup last year.

"I am happy to play in the Philippines because it is one of my favorite places in Asia," said Hidayat. "The world of badminton is getting more and more competitive. The Philippines now needs to develop its own IBF Open event in order to produce world-class players."

Truly, the RP Open, sponsored by Bingo Bonanza, will serve as a four-star tournament, marking the first time that an IBF (International Badminton Federation) event is held in the Philippines, thus giving local players the chance to obtain world-ranking points.

Organized by IMG and backed by JVC, the event is expected to lure over 200 players from 25 countries since it will also serve as a tune-up for those competing in the China Masters, a six-star tournament slated the week after the RP Open.

For details, contact the PBA, Badminton Hall, Rizal Memorial Sports Complex, P. Ocampo St,, Malate Manila c/o Joel Maborang at 0926-5973222 or send an e-mail to joebm_13@yahoo.com and aglipay@globequest.com.ph or log on to the event’s website on www.philippineopenbadminton.com.

2. kemana

kemana Regular Member

so ,he will not play in RP Open right?
    not surprised. think he won't play in China Master either

3. indra

indra Regular Member

Taufik is only interested in playing 7* or above tournaments:D

4. glencomienda111

glencomienda111 Regular Member

manager
    i think hes going to play, well i hope so:), the philippine open will be on march 1-5, what happened last week was just the launching.

5. kemana

kemana Regular Member

oh, seems i misunderstood, he meant he can't attend the lauching ceremony right? didn't mean the tournament

6. jkad65

jkad65 Regular Member

Just got my tickets today for all five days, really cheap too. Best seats are 500 (<$10) pesos on the last 2 days and 200 pesos (<$4) the first 3 days.

7. kemana

kemana Regular Member

really cheap!:eek: don't forget to take pics :)

8. kokcheng

kokcheng Regular Member

I am sure Taufik will grace the Philippne Open baring any injuries.The atmosphere during last year Europe versus Asia (MVP) was just unbelievable.IBF surely have something to learn from the Philippines in promoting the game.The stars,the celebrities,the famous,the notables,the ordinary folks came and cheered for the likes of taufik,lin dan,mia audina,kkk,ccm.and the european stars.It's simply terrific that the first Philippine Open is a 4 star event.In due time it will attract all the best players to cme to the Philippines.Congrats to the Philippines Badminton Association for being so aggressive in your quest to be a major player in the world of badminton.You will not fail.

#8 kokcheng, Jan 17, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2006
  9. glencomienda111

manager
    agree with you:D

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i remember postings about the first PO was very successful, the players really felt the excitement and cheering feedback from the fans

11. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    The Philipino crowd is definately more lifelier than other crowds that i've seen during the mvp cup however not during the SeaGames. The respond is kinda different then.
    Well i don't know about this 2006 PO. I hope it wil be the same as MVP as long as the ticket price is cheap.

12. glencomienda111

manager
    well jkad65 already bought tickets, kinda cheaper now compared to the ones sold for the SEA games, well the crowd was great but when the philippine team didnt actually perform to the expectations of the filipinos, it kinda sucked the life out of them:crying: i really wasnt that dissappointed 'cuz i know were still in our infancy stage in badminton. i was cheering for all the great games, regardless of country. anyway its time to get our vip passes right ants:D:D

13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Great that world badminton will traverse to RP in March. Just hope that I may be able to visit Makati again. Dear Ants and Glen, how strong is your influence in obtaining another VIP pass? ;)

14. Darth Andrianus

Darth Andrianus Regular Member

Student
    Didn't Taufik win his first tournament in the Philippines? Well, if he really likes playing there as he claimed, he should certainly participate in this one and play his best. That's the least that he can do for the crowd and for Philippine badminton! Oh, and while he's at it, he might as well play in the China Masters and detroy LD again if possible.

15. harimau

harimau Regular Member

ITs, CEs, P&C Insurance Agent
    Tony Gunawan & Howard Bach

But Good News ..... I heard the current MD World CHampion will be participating in the Phillipine Open....

16. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    d4mn !! !!!, i think all top indonesia players will skip the tournament.. they prepare for thomas cup qualification

17. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

Are people from the Philipines called [spelled] Filipino or Philipino? ... lol

18. glencomienda111

manager
    bro its filipino(s):D

19. Darth Andrianus

Darth Andrianus Regular Member

Student
    Wait a minute, TC qualifying is 15-19 February, right? This means there should be enough time for the players to have a little bit of a break before going off to the Phillipines. And while they are at it, they should go to China Masters as well?

20. Tommy Susanto

Tommy Susanto Regular Member

PBSI has confirmed that Taufik is going to the China Master and would not come to Philipine citing safety issues :p