P&S Camera recommendation

Discussion in 'Badminton Photography' started by madbad, Jan 16, 2010.

1. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Those pretty much cover a lot of the needs..

..all sounds good plus have HD capability.:cool: Only downside is the lens aperture, but as expected considering it has a longer focal zoom.
    There will be a PMA show @ end of February in Anaheim & heard they'll preview the new Sony DSC-TX5.
    Hope all of them will be available for purchase before madbad's trip to M'sia.;)

2. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Agree, you lose on the lens aperture and zoom factor. But you gain on the image stabilization, HD video and improved durability. I think I can live with it

Hey Chris, if you get to attend the show, give me a report on what you see on these cameras. It'll help having a keen go over them. Thanks :).

3. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    if you not into rugged and capable of underwater camera, there are a lot of choices. :eek:
    even olympus came out the affordable m4/3 pen series. for excellent normal p&s, panasonic is a greater choice.

4. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Thanks for the recommendation drifit, but I really do need a rugged version. There have been times when I have gone whitewater rafting or power boating for example, that I have regretted not having one of them with me. Let alone at the beach...

5. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    me too. there are times that super rugged camera comes in handy. those moments where we are just watching and unable to catch the moments. :(

6. viver

viver Regular Member

7. madbad

madbad Regular Member

8. FIVEs

FIVEs Regular Member

LUMIX TS2 (TS1 is no sissy though) is great for taking pix while rafting or anything that has to do with currents. Havien't got hold of a Sony yet, so can't say.

9. madbad

madbad Regular Member

So you have tried the Lumix TS2?

10. FIVEs

FIVEs Regular Member

A promoter friend lend it to me and I tried it in park slides with the TS2 slung from my neck and snapping away at random:cool:! But the promoter says she tried it kayaking and canoeing under extreme (relatively speaking I guess) currents:cool:. I believe her...I have brought with me the TS1 awhile back and rode the maid of the mist w total disregard and it hold up well, and so should the TS2!

11. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Thanks for real life review :)

12. FIVEs

FIVEs Regular Member

Nah, you call it a review:eek:? No, all my life I had PnS cameras starting with Minoltas and Sonys:eek:. I tried encased Sonys shooting underwater but they are nowhere robust against bumps even while encased. But then they aren't the rugged Panasonics anyways. I guess Panasonics are really good with tough and rugged cameras (again, point and clicks only).

Park slides aren't really a true test for the ruggedness of the TS2...too bad I had to hand them back but the lady is real nice:rolleyes:!

13. ddannir

ddannir Regular Member

14. Destricto_Ense

Destricto_Ense Regular Member

Student
    Why don't you try something like the Kodak PlaySport Zx3 for the underwater part? Basic P+S functionality should suffice if you're swimming, right?
    And then buy a Panny LX3 :p

15. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Hi guys. Let me revive this thread.

I'm not a serious photographer. But I would like to make the most out of the point-and-shoot digicam that I'm about to buy. Probably I'm looking for a digicam that has a good high-speed shot capability. You know, for badminton shots ... something that would freeze even the fastest movement of the racket. Oftentimes, with my previous canon powershot, badminton actions would be blurry. Also, I would like a cam with good video capability (like 720p????). Another thing, because indoor courts are not that well lit compared to the outdoors, it would be nice if the cam has a good low-light capability, even without a flash. Hahaha. Am I asking for too much? I'm afraid to use SLR. It's too complicated. Hehehe.

So far, I've read good reviews about Sony cybershot WX1, canon powershot sx200 IS, and canon powershot s90. The price range are okay for my budget, but before I buy, I'd like to hear your thoughts. Perhaps you could recommend something cheaper so that I could invest on extra accessories like batteries, tripods, etc.

BTW, I've followed the start of this thread. Madbad's specs are different from what I want. It's okay if the cam you'd suggest is not waterproof. Thanks.

16. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Get a Lumix... or canon G11.

17. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Thanks ants. I'm looking at different models of Lumix right now. Interesting.

18. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

dear venkatesh,
    yes, you're asking too much..:(:p
    unfortunately, to tell you the honest to goodness recommendation, no, you won't be able to find what you're looking for, esp. in a P&S digicam.
    please take a peek at the "Panasonic DMC-GH1" thread and the many threads discussing abt badminton photography.:cool:

19. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Agree with Chris. You're asking a lot from a P&S. I ended up buying the Panasonic Lumix TS-2, specifically an underwater camera. I used it during my trip in all sorts of situations and lighting conditions. As far as using it in an indoor venue goes (for badminton), it has its limitations. Like many P&S cameras, it doesn't shine when put in low light conditions, especially when players are moving very quickly. I knew this when I got the camera and it was a compromise I was willing to live with. When at the stadium, I just tried to take pics when the players were more or less still.

My advice to you would be to choose one or two criteria which you find the most important, and base your choice of camera on it. At least you'll know know the camera works best under your chosen condition(s).

20. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Darn!

I knew it! I guess it doesn't really have to be the best of the 3 requirements I mentioned. Perhaps I'm looking for something that could meet the descriptions even halfway. So far, I'm satisfied with the lumix specs. Now, what I need to do is find a retailer that sells these goodies. But I'm still open to more suggestions. Thanks :)