P&S camera

Discussion in 'Badminton Photography' started by ctjcad, Aug 18, 2006.

1. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

hmm, yes, i'm sure we can change the iso settings in any/most modes in most cameras. But i have checked thru all the settings and the instruction manuals several times in my current digicam and unfortunately it's just designed to be like that. The only modes which i can change ISO setting are the Landscape, Auto/General and Close Up.:p

#61 ctjcad, Aug 20, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2006
  2. red00ecstrat

red00ecstrat Regular Member

(Full Time) Coolie. (Part Time) Photojournalist.
    i see. but does it means the iso setting will be automatically set to the highest in sports mode? if yes......um.... perhaps it's the way to compensate the insufficiency of the maximum aperture and the highest possible shuttle speed!;)

3. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Sorry Chris for this late response. On cameras and photography, I'm just as new although I've attended a basic course before I invested in my Nikon D70, which was recommended by the course instructor. Unfortunately this young instructor taught us the simplest way to use the D70 is to apply the "Program" Mode for all our pictures, set to ISO 200 and use a tripod to avoid shake afor outdoor pictures.

And that was what I have been doing all the time. But when I started to take badminton pics indoors, I found that I could not capture the shuttle clearly, so I took the bold step of increasing my ISO to the max of 1600 using the tele lens 75-240mm. I also have the wide angle 18-70mm lens, all of which were recommended by the instructor.

I have not advanced from this stage yet since I'm still getting relatively OK pics, but compared to those of the others you've mentioned above, my pics are not ideal.

Unlike those days when I use a film camera, I have not switched to "Manual" for my D70 just yet for fear that I will bungle up and that I will be too slow in responding to the scene.

It took me a long time to decide to change over to a DSLR but when I bought my relatively pricey D70 (compared to my other cameras), I had experienced immense joy clicking away at random and not having to face the high cost of develping my pics (compared to film) as I can choose whether to develop the more memorable ones and leave the others in the computer or save them on my other discs.

Frankly, I would suggest that you buy a reasonably good DSLR that is efficient for all purposes and circumstances (like my Nikon D70 with 2 lens ;) ) and if you wish to add better Nikon lens in future, you can do so without having to buy a separate body. Of course, there are other equally good makes like Storkbill's Canon. :cool:

Both of us need the others, especially Red, to help us appreciate the finer points in photography! :D

#63 Loh, Aug 20, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2006
  4. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Loh, thanks for your inputs also-no problem if it's late...Wow, you must have a real nice digicam and 2 lenses there..;)..Well, i wish i can invest in a DSLR(and lens(es)), but right now since i hardly take any sport pics, i'm just looking for a "cheaper" yet more "functional" digicam(P&S), as i'm just into "amateur sport photography"(which i'm sure you've read the several few posts from me)..I see also abt what you meant by "switching to 'Manual'" and going the extra mile-->I think that's where the real fun and challenge(s) comes in..;) :cool:

#64 ctjcad, Aug 21, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2006
  5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Chris, frankly, you have chosen one of the tougher topics in photography to start with: indoor sports.

if you are into nature, architecture, portraits, etc. you may even be able to get by have take pretty nice pics with a P&S. for those topics, the camera is less of a limitation, i am sure red can take a P&S camera and take better pictures than me with the best camera in the world...

6. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

hehe, yah, i realize that...;)

7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

yah, same from me also..interesting shot you've got there..:cool: