Pain in Wrist with V-grip (for beginner)?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Abdullah Ahmad AAK, Jun 27, 2022.

1. Abdullah Ahmad AAK

Abdullah Ahmad AAK Regular Member

I taught a beginner the V-grip and had him extensively practice clears and smashes with it on the 2nd day. At end he said his wrist was hurting quite a lot when he used V-grip, which looked fine to me when he swung the racket.

Do note that this practice was in outdoor court with some wind, so he may have overexerted himself when learning shot. In order to be able to clear all the way to baseline (although I told him it's ok if he doesn't, just hit the shot cleanly that's enough)

Is this the reason? Or is it natural for every beginner to feel pain in wrist when starting to use forehand basic/V-grip? 2 other beginners I taught didn't have wrist pain.

P.S.

He also had wrist pain when stretching racket for forehand/backhand net shots. which is quite unnatural imo, even for beginner.

2. dnewguy

dnewguy Regular Member

Might be fatigue or sprain (any swelling?) due to improper technique or just overuse.
    In any case, giving it proper rest is wise and consulting a physician/orthopedist if the pain persists.

Cheers.