Paint crack or deep crack?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by akatsuki2104, Jul 11, 2020.

1. akatsuki2104

akatsuki2104 Regular Member

Hello,

I was going to restring my Lining N99 3U. There was an old bg65 on it, strung at 11,5kg from February. I haven't played much with it. So decided to restring it. I haven't noticed anything before I cut the string or maybe I didn't see the crack.
    I checked the frame before placing the racket on the machine and saw this :
    1446dc5a-81b3-41f8-b591-4b73dd548bd4.jpg
    So I took out the grommet and it doesn't seem deep. So I am wondering if it is just the paint that had been compressed during the cut or is it really a crack?
    331803cd-2534-4891-a8d0-62b66ed479a4.jpg
    What do you guys think?
    Also, do you think that the cut might cause this?

#1 akatsuki2104, Jul 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  2. endFX

endFX Regular Member

Badminton tryhard
    Hard to tell. My guess is that it's just the paint. I had a racket that looked similar. If it was a deep crack the frame would have probably collapsed already.
    Just restring it and hope for the best. Even if it's damage beyond the paint there's not much your can do about it.
    But be sure to use a load spreader for the restring. Good luck.

akatsuki2104 likes this.
  3. stradrider

stradrider Regular Member

In my opinion, by the way it goes through the center of the grommet looks like a deeper crack. By the way it is located just where there is usually a 12 o'clock support in the stringing machines that have no badminton adapters to spread the pressure (just about 7mm wide...), looks like it is what is called a "high noon decease"...

It is a compression from the 12 o'clock support, probably not very deep but still a structural damage that happens during stringing, not a very good sign for the stringer you have used...

speCulatius likes this.
  4. stradrider

PS: Oh... just realized that you are the stringer :). You should urgently get a load spreader, the one mybadmintonstore.com sells is perfectly fine...

speCulatius likes this.
  5. akatsuki2104

Actually, the last string was done from a badminton shop in February. I knew nothing about it back then.
    I've just begun stinging for 2 month :oops:. But at least, I bought a spreader directly

s_mair, speCulatius and stradrider like this.
  6. stradrider

Than it's very good that you started doing it yourself, you can avoid that shop in the future than! It's not very good to have a crack like that but I saw a lot of times people used the rackets for a long time with damage like that so, I think, as long as you are using a good supports when stringing, it should be fine.

I have a very thin and strong superglue that I run into crack like that (called "Hot Stuff" the red label one, it seeps all the way through any crack), I feel it helps, don't know if you can get something like that but should be really careful. If you don't have experience with cyanoacrilate glue, may be don't try if you haven't done it before... You can make a lot of mess with it and glue fingers and a lot more... o_O

akatsuki2104 likes this.
  7. flyingcords

flyingcords Regular Member

I guess that the frame will crack at the next shock in this area. A (smash) mishit and shock with the birdie right there and the racket will be gone ... Unfortunately.

BTW I remember that seeing stringers in shops not using load-spreaders was one of the reason I decided to string my racquets myself ...

#7 flyingcords, Jul 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  8. akatsuki2104

Yes, so that I can only blame myself if I brake my racket :p.
    Anyway, I hope the racket will survive some time. I'll string it and we will see.
    I will update the thread after some time or when the racket breaks :eek:.

9. stradrider

You could be right, hard to say. However, my personal experience (and unfortunately I have seen quite a lot of bad stringing here... even with deeper cracks in the same place). And so far I don't remember seeing any broken rackets with the "high noon decease".. They are keep coming back... ;)

10. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

I would put pressure on it next to your ear, like compress the racket. If you hear a crack then probably broken. If you don't hear anything then probably ok.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

akatsuki2104 likes this.
  11. akatsuki2104

The crack hasn't move/change after the string job at 12/12,5kg
    The sound of the string bed resonate quite well so I think it's fine.. for now :confused:

108003960_275872677008777_5520718227544529106_n.jpg 107844452_308721117155307_222244029264373454_n.jpg

stradrider and speCulatius like this.
  12. Dekkert

Dekkert Regular Member

Hmm, hard to tell indeed. Kinda looks like a deep crack, the way it passes through the whole. Though normally you would be able to see the crack.

I had a inside crack at 12 o'clock on my old MP99. I did this trick and I could restring it 5-6 times at 32 lbs and it handled it well before it collapsed during a match:

Only thing is, that the load spreader won't stay flush against the frame. You have to grind a bit of the middle tooth to make room for the string.

13. akatsuki2104

That's interesting tough I don't think I will try that trick :rolleyes:.
    We will see how many times the racket will handle restringing.

14. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

That crack doesn't seem to go too deep. I have a client rackets that has what looks like a really serious crack at arond 1 o'clock and I've strung it now at least 5 times without any issues. Sometimes you really get surprised how robust those frames can be. So with a bit of luck and if you don't go crazy with the tensions, that N99 one could still last you a loooong time.

speCulatius and akatsuki2104 like this.