Penalty for Lin Dan

Discussion in 'Korea Open 2008' started by kwun, Jan 30, 2008.

?

penalty for Lin Dan

1. no penalty

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. small fine - (< US$1000)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. large fine - (> US$1000)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. suspension for 1 SS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. suspension for 2 SS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Large Fine &Suspension

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    No doubt what Lin Dan did was unacceptable. Full stop. Should he be harshly punished?

Now, if it happens that he did this without provocation, I would be the first to agree.

But there were several factors:-

1. Many wrong / questionable line calls, eventually corrected by umpire bar one. This provided the fuel supply.
    2. KOR Coaching staff intervention. That provided the spark and fire.

What I would rather see Lin Dan do is to formally apologize to the fans, the organizers and the BWF for his behaviour, instead of asking fans to understand why he lost his cool. He should also acknowledge that he still needs to have his temper under control (I think he has partially done that).

Asking him to apologize to Li Mao is perhaps too much, given the circumstances. Besides, Li Mao is not above blame himself.

In this instance, any punishment will have to consider the circumstances upon which the incident happened, otherwise the judgement will not be fair to Lin Dan. If anything, all those who "contributed" to the incident should be called in, line judges and all. BWF has videos of the whole match, itcould easily call in the respective line judges in addition to reports given by the umpire and tournament referee.

2. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

Will he be fined for walkout?

3. kankan

kankan Regular Member

IT
    i think should get penalty, in terms of quantity is not easy to decide.

for me the principle is that the penalty should be fair to Lin Dan as well other players like Taufik. for me as long as Lin Dan is getting 3 to 10 times of what Taufik got for HKO2006, it would be a fair penalty.

4. Jasonvan

Jasonvan Regular Member

I agree that what he did was wrong but as you said, certain circumstances contributed to this incident so the punishment should take that into account. I personally voted large fine for LD.

5. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

Unless I'm wrong, TH did not get any fine, except not receive ranking points and any prize money for walking out MSQF HO 06.

6. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Consensus is LD is wrong

Examining the threads, the overall consensus is that LD is wrong in throwing the racket and also threatening Li Mao with racket. It smacks of an out-of-control LD.

I think if an apology is not forthcoming, then it is a blatant disregard for rules and laws of civility. I propose a huge fine and suspension so that his actions will not be repeated with other players in the future.

7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Concur..

..yeah, if i remember, that was one of my request for TH's walk-out during the 2006 HKO. LD apologizing to LM is iffy also because both of them were head-strong and almost went to blows.:p..
    So, c'mon LD, we'll be waiting for your apology! That's all we're asking!:cool:

8. Jessica

Jessica Regular Member

Student
    My vote is for large and fine suspension.

9. Temasek Green

Temasek Green Regular Member

Yup apology is graceful act.The younger one should start first as a respect to the older.

10. bhtan

bhtan Regular Member

my view...

If Lindan were act like this againt the umpire or the line judges, then i would call for a heavy punishment.

But not in this case . I view Li Mao as the third party, interfering in a very important championship match , at a very important game , at a very critical time.

Non others except Lindan have everything to lose by Li Mao's action.

11. koowakchai

koowakchai Regular Member

Hmmm....why badminton doesn't has the hawk-eye system like in tennis? It might solve some of the bad line calls. :D:D

In addition, coaches should not be allow to sit near to the players. They will keep shouting instructions only. Badminton players should play like tennis players. Play on your own. Think on your own. Come up with your own startegy.
    Coaches should allow to advice only during intervals.
    :D:D

Any comments?
    ;):D:p

12. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    It is funny to see to see some members used to say other members" Double standards" now I can see some of them making double standard while defending LD badly.....

You can not say that walking out peacefully and throwing racket is same thing....I guess some have to use " Logic" while defending LD blindly....

13. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Thats why it is so comfortable for some members here said that some are bias toward LD...but they have short memory all of sudden when they celebrated TH's punishment...and now they want fairness???I have to say that LD's fans are more bias now while stubbornly ignoring the facts and blaming TH heavily 2 yrs ago when no violent has involved......What a double standard when it comes to defend his player!!!

14. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    nothing like this happens without provocation. some provocation in sports are intentional and other happens in the heat of the moment. provocation aside, violent actions are never ever the right solution and this is the one LD should be penalized for. but that is just my opinion.

agree fully. he has yet to apologize to his fans. this action seems to show that he is not feeling any remorse at all to what he did to the image of badminton in general. to the fans specifically. i hope he apologize too. :)

i agree with this one too. we dont know what was it that Li mao said. so that is between them. if LD deems it fit to never apologize to li mao then so be it. that is his prerogative. but he has a responsibility as a well known and well loved professional sportman to at least ask for forgiveness for his actions to his fans and to all badminton community.

yes the punishment should be severe for LD's violent actions and the other parties should be punished too for their actions. my suggestion in my previous post stands. :)

15. skunklover

skunklover Regular Member

student
    i think a heavy fine will do if necessary...
    it will prevent others from wanting to do something like this, given the circumstances, i think the BWF should levy a fine of some value they deem appropritate

16. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    When it comes to our idol, logic no longer prevail, that's very true. Take Taufik for example, we all know he's a bad boy but we still admire him and support him so the same can be said about Lin Dan fan. Heck, even if Lee Chong Wei beat out Yap Kim Hock one day, I will still say Malaysia Boleh :D
    Lin dan is at fault, no doubt about that but I don't want to be the one to convince his fan, is a waste of time and effort.

17. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Because it Koreans really want to, they can charge LD in criminal court?

For those who were asking, in Malaysia's law, if someone throws a sharp object at someone else, can be charged with intent to kill, even if the object didnt hit anyone. Happened bf a couple of yrs back to my colleagues. The sharp object was a kitchen knife, the knife missed but pierced thru a wooden board ard 2 inches thick. Similar scenario, the 'taunter' called the attacker names. The attacker flung his knife across the room. If 'taunter' didnt dunk in time, it would have been serious injuries or we had to attend his funeral.

As far as I recall, the attacker had to go to court, pay for all damages to the premises, got immediate sacking with no pay. Dunno whether he ended up in jail, the case dragged very long. 'Taunter' got a serious reprimand & demotion cos all the above happened at workplace.

That's 'sharp object'. Not sure abt 'blunt object'

Yup, that's what the Displinary Board said, I couldnt find any news piece on the fine & suspension. Maybe Huang, oh Huang, or taufik-ist, was it printed in any newspaper or sthing?

That's why I mentioned Taufik's incident mah..... so that they are reminded, since I'm not Indonesian, or from China, or Taufik fan or LD fan...:D
    Taufik-ist was so kind too, apologize on behalf of his hero..

Not the Msian govern or media or the general Msia population :), they'll "slaughter" LCW right away.
    Not me, if LCW did that, I'll be angry too, bring shame to Msia .

18. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

#98 ctjcad, Jan 30, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  19. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

20. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    one can tolerate 1 mis-judgment......
    too many (3-6times) mis-judgment, the player can no longer tolerate and the adrenalin starts pumping in too much...... hence, the fire clouded the eyes
    so sad to hear/see players losing temper and go havoc.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.