Physics questions on badminton

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by fmqpt791004, Dec 28, 2011.

1. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    So, are the manufacturers saying that centrifugal force or the corresponding coriolis effect does not come into the picture, with relevance to the direction/path/vector of the bird? If a bird spins/rotates on any axis along any path, I would think that centrifugal force (no matter how weak or how insignificant or how strong or significant) would come in to play, unless I've got my funadmental physics all messed up.

2. captaincook

captaincook Regular Member

captain
    Yes, it is as pakito said, the more force impacted on the shuttle the faster it travels (with natural spins). The faster it travels (faster spins), and the higher the resistance. It is like the law of diminishing returns as the natural spin produces drag.
    The slope of the graph will get less steep when u increase the force. After the shuttle leaves the racket, it is slowing down as resistance push the shuttle in opposite direction.

Now the slice. When we artificially slice the shuttle (putting a smaller vector on forward direction and some torque to create the spin), the increased spin does not increase the speed, or it does not add to the forward direction vector. In fact the spin will increase the resistance to the forward motion.

Think of it as projectile, and the vectors involved. The spins in the natural flight is the just the natural shape and feather position - the design.
    If you "crashed" the feathers inward, less resistant (do u know some prayers actually trained to break the bird when smashing?) . If the feathers "puffed" outward due to slice or natural phenon (both due to speed), more resistant is generate to the projectile.

3. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    When you slice a shuttle or execute a tumbling "spinning" net shot, you are actually slowing down the shuttle's rotational spin speed. A "spinning" tumbling net shot can be likened to a dis functional "spin" shot, exactly like a fast spinning top that has been given a sideways knock so it loses its rotational spin and begins to "wobble". Wobble is sometimes wrongly mistaken for spin, which it is not. A shuttle wit a broken or missing feather will visibly wobble, which is actually a loss of stability for that spin rate, thus resulting in the wobble.

4. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    Good old juggernaut has closed the case and hammered in the nail on this example!:eek: Case close.
    Oops, sorry I have no power to close the case. I'm not the moderator.