Places to Play Vancouver B.C

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by Nitemeister, Dec 13, 2003.

1. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    badrad, over here, in private clubs, if the freeloader is traced back to the member who let him in for free(easy task), that member get 1 warning at best, most clubs just de-member (for life) the violator on the spot with no refund. It is in the agreement that all members have signed. I dare any member would risk this penalty for saving 10$ for his friend. If that is not enough, being labelled as a co-cheater would make him a disgrace among the badminton circle. Sure make potential cheaters to think twice. :cool:

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    btw, yazuka will chop off pinky as first warning for betrayal. Don't know what big circle & triads would do tho.;)
    Without the pinky, smashes will be much less effective :p

#42 cooler, Dec 28, 2003
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2003
  3. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    hmm, not sure....
    mafia: sleep with the fishes.
    cuban: cuban necktie
    cartel: car bomb
    vietnamese: machine gun in pho noodle restaurant
    triads: hacked with watermelon knives?

4. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    hahaha...I think for the badminton mafia/triads, we are looking at a version of the Cuban necktie as in Racquet Necktie!!!

I think that's one of the disadvantage of a 24x7 club in that it is very difficult to monitor access after prime hours.

5. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    actually they can get more control of the club entry in the late hours if there was a better id recognition than the pass-key. the passkey has no id so there is no tracking ability of the key. it's more than simple enough using any rfid tag or even low tech barcode or magstripe cards will work.

making the lights controlled by user tag will also help with accounting and tracking. this way, energy can be better managed, and have some conditions for it's use.

6. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Yeah but that still doesn't stop non-paying guests coming in with members after hours unless the facility is willing to invest in video monitoring (equipment and personnel).

Automatic shut-off for the lights could work if after activation with user tag, they will stay on if there is still movement on courts but if it is on timer after activation, then you could end up playing in the dark at crucial points.

7. tofu_boy

tofu_boy Regular Member

Brick layer
    wow...good ol days...

Just reading Calvin's name brought back so many memories. Anyone here play at the VRC with some of the old original crew....Ong sisters (moira, elma), Billy Cheung, Morgan and Skyler Vanheukulum, Chu brothers (Toby and Casey), Silvesta Ng....etc.

8. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Hey Yipom,

Were you at Burnaby South last Saturday morning? I went there for the first time and was quite impressed with the facility. Lighting was alright but half side of the courts facing the morning sun gets the sun in the backcourts. Flooring is decent. Six courts going with three more possible if there's more drop-ins.

Unfortunately, there's not alot of good players there. Some of the players from the school team were there though, I would have left if not for them. Court rotations are not consistent cuz you could find newbie drop-ins hogging the courts playing singles since nobody bothered with them. They only get off when the guy in charge checks in. Even after he exasperatingly requested no singles and tried to get rotation going, nobody bothered since no-one wants to play with newbies. All two hours to play and all I got was 4 games to show for:(.

What they need is better organization... get a baddy club come in and rent the place for that time. But it's not possible as I understand that the school opens the baddy courts to the public only on Saturdays.

Even though it's within walking distance from my home, I don't think I will be going back there anytime soon. I would only head out there if I get a full set of players for doubles (seems that's what the good players did... they basically played among themselves), otherwise it's not really worth it:(.

9. Traum

Traum Regular Member

Hey Cappy. Burnaby South is the humongous highschool along Rumble, right? It's actually pretty close to where I am, about a 15 min drive. So if you need a body to go with you, just lemme know a few days earlier and I'll see if I can fit some baddy into my schedule.

-Rick

10. SmashingBird

SmashingBird Regular Member

Student, Badminton-student
    RICHMOND BC...ne hot girls from richmond that play
    Hey Traum, you live in a pretty good spot...almost any badminton facility is around 10-15 min drive for you :p....is the burnaby south dropin on sundays? I might be able to come.

11. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Rick- I will definitely keep you in mind when I do pick up the motivation to walk 2 blocks for slow games:p. Kiddings aside, thank you for the offer:)!

Smashingbird- nah, it's just saturday afternoon (12pm-2:30pm). It's a highschool, so facility priority goes to the students and Sundays are closed unless they wanna pay custodial staff overtime to keep it open:(. I think drop-in fee is $4.50. Student rate is $2.

12. Yipom

Yipom Regular Member

Sorry and very dissapointed to hear that, but since its still a (not as badminton popular) High school, there will be newbies there. Yea i think i did show up that day. Yea it basically is kinda like a Hang out place, so its always better to go with buddies, yea basical 1/3 of the people there were my buddies =p. Anyways sorry about that.

13. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    South's kinda desserted. I've seen Langara players play there once or twice, but they dont go often. I used to go once in a while, but I kinda just got lazy. Right now I'm suffering from multiple injuries that might just end my badminton career. O well, it was a good 2 years :p
    say... who are you Yipom? Were you there say... 3 or 4 weeks ago? :)

14. Yipom

Yipom Regular Member

I go there almost Every week now ^^, jus to play, and to get out of the House. And most importantly, IMPROVE! really need help in that ^^"

15. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Hey Yipom,

No worries... I must have picked the wrong time of the year to drop-in. It's not too bad once you have buddies to play with, but lone drop-in is not very rewarding. But that doesn't take away the fact that it's a very decent facility. Anyway, thanks for pointing out the place:).

16. BuezaWebDev

BuezaWebDev Regular Member

Does anyone know if BCIT is running badminton throughout summer/all year?

Has anyone gone there? how is it? average skill level?

17. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    It's open for summer, yes, but pretty sparse. Bring your own group of 4 or more, is my suggestion.

-dave

18. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    Is it really empty? It would to be packed during the summer when I used to go. When was the last time you checked it out?

19. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    That would be on a Tuesday evening maybe 4 weeks ago :)

-dave

20. Yipom

Yipom Regular Member

Well @ BCIT i usually go with my friends on Sundays from 9am-2pm for only $5 ^^! lol, anyways ... yeah its pretty empty there, last time I went there were 3 Empty courts, and one group left @ around 11 o'clock... I guess they're goin "Yum Cha" or somthing ^^"... and more started to leave after...so during the last hour or so theres only around 3 groups left.