Player(s) in New York, US - Anyone???

Discussion in 'USA East' started by LazyBuddy, Sep 23, 2002.

1. Big S

Big S Regular Member

Boss
    New court... Did you refer to Benny's? How was it? Did you meet and make a lot of friends?

BTW, I don't play at Benny's often so I probably not going to see you unless you will come to one of the courts I play... So I might as well keep my identity secret... :cool:

2. Stone66

Stone66 Regular Member

New Court on Sunday, 4 court @ 3rd floor gym of IS5 (behind Belly fitness) Located @ Queens Elmhurst, visit www.usabadmintonsports.com for more details or contact Manager Kevin 347.410.2578.

3. Feathers16

Feathers16 Regular Member

New location exclusively for badminton in Queens, NY

USAbadmintonsports has opened a new facility exclusively for badminton in College Point. 10am-midnight, 7days a week.
    http://www.cpbadminton.com/

I hope this is the first step to catch up with the badminton environment in west coast.:D

4. goose

goose Regular Member

College Point, Queens

I played there twice. Pretty decent facility. Non-stop playing for couple of hours:p. You could keep playing until you die:eek:. There were still many open courts available. If you want to play many games or take good drills, this place would be the one. I bought $16 (whole day) x 10 times strip.

5. DKSKNY

DKSKNY New Member

We need this type of gym in NY

Good for you man! We need this type of gym in NY for sure - to play at your own schedule. I hope they do well.

6. B787-9

B787-9 Regular Member

Finance

i hope so too...i played there once and the place was felt dead ...only 6 people total. so i didn't enjoy the time but i hope it picks up so that we can play anytime we want.

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

That's why I did not show up yet, as I was expecting this kinda situation. But I was told that during weekend, the show ups are much better. I hope they do well, as they are the pioneer. ;)

Wondering how's the parking situation though? Do they have a parking lot? Or, only street parking (which might be hard at late night time)... :rolleyes:

8. DKSKNY

DKSKNY New Member

They got 2 groups as of right now. One group play at wed & sat afternoon. Another group play at Thursday afternoon. As far as I know most of the players call each other first to setup a time and then go. If you want to just drop in then wed/thur/sat afternoon will be the best. Parking is right next to the gym and it fit about 30cars. They need to do some marketing for sure.
    I was there yesterday and saw Kevin ordering new lighting (side lighting & up)
    system.

9. Stone66

Stone66 Regular Member

Parking are right next to the gym. I also knew Kevin are now Yonex Authorized Dealer and work very closely with Yonex for the future event.

10. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Afternoon??? You mean evening? I do not come back to home until at least 6 or 6:30pm on week days. :cool: How's each group's skill level?

11. DKSKNY

DKSKNY New Member

Sorry. Wednesday group usually show up around 6:30. I think you could say they are intermediate level and know how to play the game properly. Also Zaw Win (who just won the 1st place at NYCB open) is there everyday (except monday & tuesday) around 6:30 or 7pm until 9 or 10pm to play with everyone.

12. goose

goose Regular Member

Back when NYCB@Queens started, they had similar situation..... many open courts, not enough number of players, etc. But they have successfully managed to get huge number of players. Let's see what happens in this CPbadminton.

Hey Lazybuddy, you haven't been there yet? Surprise:eek:! I'm sure that you know most of the players in CP.

13. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I wish every club can do well, as we as players do want more choices to choose from. :p

Well, I am pretty sure I know quite a bit players here and there, but the problem is my health situation is no where near before. My old and aching body simply does not allow me to play 5 times per week now. :crying:

14. robina

robina Regular Member

Badminton in Yonkers

Hi All,

It has been quite sometime since I posted a comment here. I want to inform those interested that I have started as Badminton Club in Yonkers last November. Here are the details:

Location: Yonkers YWCA located at 87 South Broadway (914) 963-0640

Number of Courts: One (though there is only one court, players are very considerate and felxible and do not mind waiting a for a while for their chance to play. Majority of the players play on Saturdays so Sundays are very much open and I myself play on Sundays.

Badminton Schedule: Saturday 2-6pm and Sunday 10:30am-2:30pm- though these are the specific times, we can extend play beyond 6 pm and 2:30 pm on both days if the gym is available at those times. Also, though we do not play on the weekdays yet, members can call ahead to request the gym to be reserved for them on a weekday for a particular time. If that time is not already reserved by another group or activity, the Management will allow members to play at that time on weekday(s).

Current Regular Members: We have about 7-10 regular players. Individuals are cotacting me on a regular basis to inquire so the interest is definitely there and I know that with time this Club will grow fast.

YWCA Membership & Cost: All players must sign up for Y Membership of $45/year which is a great deal!

Other Costs: We contribute a small amount on a monthly basis or on needs basis for shuttles.

You may wish to stop by one day to get a sense of the place and to meet the rest of the players. If you are interested, please feel free to send me a message.

Robina

15. Feathers16

College Point now offers a promotion!

At first, I almost backed off because of a little bit higher fee. But now CPbadminton is offering a promotion. Too bad, I already paid $160 for 10X.:crying:

Pre-Opening Special
    Drop-In $14.00
    5x Visit Prepaid $60
    10x Visit Prepaid - $120 (Free 1 Doz. YONEX Shuttlecocks)

16. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

Sounds like a good deal, I have to say. :)

Still the same question, do they have enough players for weekday nights now? I most concern is still whether there's enough players to let me get enough variety of games. :rolleyes:

17. Feathers16

Kevin the organizer of CPbadminton kindly gave us an even better deal for those who bought 10X with original price. :D:D:D

As far as I know, there are plenty of players on Wed & Thu nights. I'm pretty sure that you can enjoy playing many games. If there is not enough players, it might be a golden opportunity to play with Zaw Win the coach. :p

18. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

Ok... You got me now.

Let's see. I plan to pay a visit within 1 or 2 weeks then. ;)

19. pblgarcia

pblgarcia Regular Member

Cancer, Research
    Hi everyone,

I am interested in joining a badminton club in nyc. I looked up nycbadminton club and with a 3 month member plus $15 to pay per day is just a bit too expensive especially if I would want to play at least twice or three times a week. Has anyone heard of these places:

New York Athletic Club
    City House: 180 Central Park South, New York, NY 10019 | Tel: (212) 247-5100

Categories: Amateur Sports Teams
    UN Plaza
    New York, NY, 10017
    212-753-6833

They don't have web pages but I think I may call them up tomorrow to ask for more information. I live in Westchester but work in NYC. There is no badminton club in Westchester, unfortunately. The more affordable ones seems to be in Queens- too bad I dont live there anymore. I really want to join a badminton club but I would definitely want something reasonable...

20. pblgarcia

pblgarcia Regular Member

Cancer, Research
    I wish I lived a little closer to CPbadminton. I went to nycbadminton club for the first time this week and liked it. I am thinking of doing a year membership and go on Tuesdays. It cost an arm and a leg but that usually doesnt deter addicts like me :)