Please help with things I need to improve Things

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Abishek84, Jun 22, 2022.

1. Abishek84

Abishek84 New Member

Hi All,
    Can you critic on my play and things I should focus to improve ? I am not able to analyse the video and understand the things I need to improve... Quick background playing badminton for almost a year now mainly doubles... Playing singles infrequently for a month now . Please help I am the one with red Tshirt. Thank you!

2. wannaplay

wannaplay Regular Member

not bad for playing only a year...so you read up on badminton (from joint date) for at least 5/6 yrs before actually getting on a court to play? thats unusual. look at your opponent, for the most part, he didnt need to go back beyond the double service line to return your clears and you were constantly force to play weak defensive clear.

for now, get your clears to the back, which buys you more time to return to base and harder for opponent to attack. make more effort to get behind the shuttle at the back, stop doing passive slow loopy drops. once you do that, then improve your front game.

Abishek84 and Cheung like this.
  3. Abishek84

Abishek84 New Member

I did play for 3 months 5 years back then stopped and then started again last year.

Thank you for your insights I will focus on my clears to return to the back.

To get behind the shuttle at the back is it because I am slow or footwork is not correct ?

What is meant by passive drops? What drops I should be doing instead?

4. wannaplay

wannaplay Regular Member

compared to the rest of your game and given the amount of time you played , i don't think you are particularly bad in either speed or footwork (of course they can be vastly improved). in the clip you are often late because of a previous poor quality shot allowing your opponent to push you. be aware that every shot counts and should be played with purpose. when forced to play a late overhead clear, engaging your trunk more helps power generation and recovering position by bringing your center of mass back into the court.

when you should be playing a defensive clear but instead played a high arc slow drop. an overhead drop shot is an attacking shot, and you have played a few good ones that won points.

Cheung and Abishek84 like this.
  5. Abishek84

Abishek84 New Member

Thank you very much for the insights! i will work on it

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    If you have a good clear that makes the opponent move right to the back lines (judge by where their feet), it’s a huge advantage for you. Being able to hit clears that consistently force the opponent to the back line can really tire the opponent out physically and mentally.

It’s also useful for doubles but the advantage is not so clear to see.

wannaplay and Abishek84 like this.
  7. BadmintonDave

BadmintonDave Regular Member

Make the court feel big for your opponent. Like Cheung said, your clears are just about making it to the line before the back of the court. That's one less step your opponent potentially has to take. The extra distance would make a huge difference.

Another way to make the court feel big is to push them to the back, and then play a shot to the diagonal corner from where they were. So you could play a clear or lift to their backhand side, then play a tight net shot or drop as your next shot. Even if they get to it, you are attacking their stamina or energy.

My last advice would be to vary your shots and keep your opponent guessing. You were doing it when you won some of the points. You could also wait half a second or a whole second if you want to start learning some deception. Make it look like you will do a lift and turn it into a block or netshot. That kindof thing.

Abishek84 likes this.
  8. Abishek84

Abishek84 New Member

Thank you will focus on my clears
    Got it ... Will work on my clears and drops... One question what do you mean by waiting half a second how would it help with deception?

9. BadmintonDave

BadmintonDave Regular Member

Let's assume the shuttle is coming into the front area of the court.

You approach it with your racquet outstretched and are showing the opponent you are preparing to play a lift. Instead of committing to it, you wait half a second to see if your opponent moves or not. If they move towards you, you play the lift. If they move backwards you play a net shot or a shot into the space they just made. It will help with deception because they have a harder time reading the shot you will play.

Watch any professional game (it's easier to see in singles games) and you'll get what I mean. It also helps to interrupt the opponents rhythm.

If not, I will try and find a compilation to illustrate the point

-
    I saw someone I played against last night do this to my partner with the return of serve. They used deception to hide that they were doing a fancy shot to change the direction both with their body and the racquet head.

Abishek84 likes this.
  10. Abishek84

Abishek84 New Member

Awesome thanks for the input

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    At this point in time, I would definitely prioritise getting that clear consistently to the back of the court before thinking about deception. You are definitely going to make more points and make things easier for yourself from a good clear compared to deception.

Work on the basics first, it will pay off when you get more advanced.

12. dnewguy

dnewguy Regular Member

Hello

I agree with what others have said regarding doing better quality clears to put movement pressure on the opponent.
    Even your service is not reaching backcourt... It appears that your opponent is marginally quicker and has better shot quality.

Apart from that, you can also try shifting your current base position a little away from the net... So you can better recover backcourt shots. (Yes, it will leave the front area open for drops so you have to be better at shot selection so the opponent can't play a good quality dropshot).

Deceptions work when you have extra time to play a shot + you have atleast two good quality/threatening shots. If you add movement to it then the difficulty level increases. You can try it when your opponent is out of balance or under pressure.

Cheers.

Cheung and Abishek84 like this.