Post videos of yourself playing

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by GTAveteran, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Babyface

Babyface Regular Member

Student
  2. jerby

jerby Regular Member

not finished watching yet, but your movement on court is good!

I just have one question: why do you smash every shot you get?
    When you're late you clear, when you're on time you smash and when you have to get the shuttle behind you you drop. I can even see your opponent taking his position before you hit.
    When you're on time a sharp drop can be more devastating than a smash (depending on where your opponent is)

3. Babyface

Babyface Regular Member

Student
    whats weird jerby, is that everytime you are critizing me (constructively ;), i understand and hear the same things when better players are watching me play.
    'choice of shot' is what i am currently working on next (after my exams). the game shown is a light knock to celebrate my results at uni :p
    thanks for the reply

#803 Babyface, May 21, 2010
    Last edited: May 21, 2010
  4. jerby

jerby Regular Member

lucky guesses ;)
    for a light knock around your pretty quick on the net as well, I must say. I think I counted 3 brushes at the net.

Then maybe I have a second point (hopefully a new one;)), you seem to react very fast to netshots at the net, but every drop he hits he let it drop a very long way (like at 0:29 or 1:50).
    Is it because you feel you need time to prepare your stroke, or because you see his shot late? because I think you're fast enough to get there higher

5. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

What happened at 2:13 did you mishit the kill or something ?

6. Babyface

Babyface Regular Member

Student
    Net brushes is something i have only recently thought about and acquired after watching the pros play, it seems the inevitable shot to do when waiting for reply from a tight net shot first.
    i do go forward rather quickly, and backwards not as quick. i think this could be a sub conscious reason why i always smash.. just to practice movement i guess.. who knows..
    with regards about the drop shot from my opponent, are you referring to the fact that his drop shot is not so close to the net and so i shouldnt let it go so low before hitting?
    if so.. i dont know why lol... i dont and haven't done drills before.. i only play at uni.
    i guess with a better player beside me (e.g coach jerby) i may be able to counter my mistakes.
    any other observations would be great.

Yes ld rules, it was a miss lol...

7. Babyface

Babyface Regular Member

Student
    Tbh jerby, the pace inbetween rallies was too short for me... my friend is a lot more fit than i am as he is healthy and well im not lol... i take longer to recover air into my lungs due to bad habits. overall though, how would say the footwork and shots are?

8. akatsuki2104

akatsuki2104 Regular Member

Here is another video of me. It was just one game but more serious than the 2 previous videos I uploaded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlAzo2tKGaU

What do you think about it?

(I'm the one with white shirt).

Thanks

9. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    hum i actually have a video from tonight, but its nothing amazing its a so so game just down in trinidad with a guy during club training night. not sure if i should post it up, the final score was 21-3 for me, if theres interest ill post it if not i wont.

10. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

post the video please, it doesn't matter what the score is, I actually had a video from a tournament last week, but the camera angle, was really bad, so you can only see me 20% of the time. I didn't play very well,( was up against the 4th seed) but i suppose it was ok.

11. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    Alright LD rules! here is the video, im not gonna lie the 1st point haha dont even ask cause i dont even know. the roof is a little "tricky" down here with some lights being annoying at times but oh well made for an interesting 1st 2 points thats for sure.

some things to note, im still not happy with my footwork at all, even though this game isnt hard i notice alot of footwork stuff that i need to change, as well there was some stupid shots and stupid habbits in there that have to be changed for sure. i tried to get the rally going a few times there was i think 2 or 3 that turned into decent rallies but thats cause i played it to his forehand and all that but overall yeah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zmtgxptFRw

hum i have the option to "insert video" into the post but im gonna pass on that and just link to it.

12. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

The guy seems rather average, was it just a club sort of thing ?
    Your movement has improved a lot, can we swap ? ( you can take my movement and I wil take yours :D) I can see that the first point seemed to cause trouble, (poor lighting ?) you could have easily beat this person 21-0 (no offence) but yeah movement seems great from what I see. Obviously he hasn't put you under that much pressure, but it's still very good
    Overall very impressed :)
    I had a similar problem with lighting at my tournament,the first couple of points I kept mishitting, so Sometimes I ended up clearing, which wasn't very good, as I could have attacked. Oh well :eek:

13. Babyface

Babyface Regular Member

Student
    you're footwork is very light, shows a lot of work has been put into it... you're opponent wasn't close to your level as ld rules said. would like to see you in a competitive match.

14. baddykid1

baddykid1 Regular Member

smashmaster, you have good footwork but your stroke could be shorter (more wrist less arm) and you should always get you racket in a ready position, other than that your a great player

15. zatliteblogspot

zatliteblogspot Regular Member

Here's a video on how not to play singles as demonstrated by me. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4F1FBfFf08

I'm on the far side.
    Go ahead and be ruthless with comments. I already see most of my mistakes but you may find more I haven't considered.

Thanks.

16. amleto

amleto Regular Member

I finally got around to making a vid, but my opponent doesn't want to be seen on youtube :(

17. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Put it on Dailymotion then ;) (is he recognizable then if you leave out any names?)

18. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Is that video in fast forward...you don't hang about in between points do you?!

good points:

-movement is pretty good
    -goodshot accuracy

points to improve on:

-I wouldn't stand dso close to the net when serving
    -your overheads arem't so much a stroke as a jerk. I would work on making the stroke flow more. you can still use your wrist (which is very strong), but if you could be smoother you could play faster and more deceptive drops

You ate pretty decent though!! excellent movement forward

19. amleto

amleto Regular Member

haha, no he's just another joe bloggs like me, but he doesn't want the vid in the public domain

20. !¿Clue?!

!¿Clue?! Regular Member

Then secretely post the video, under a fake account and a funky title he'll never find out...