Problem with badminton shoes : big toe bleeds under the nail ?!

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by nltung, Aug 25, 2010.

1. nltung

nltung Regular Member

Hi everyone,

I bet there must be also others who experienced the same problem. I've lost 2 nails (of the big toe) by playing badminton. Until now I still have no clue whether the problem was the shoes (Kason shoes) or my foot (it is somewhat wide)

Now I decide to buy a new shoes and would like to try a number bigger (43 instead of 42). But I am still confused, if the shoes is bigger then there is empty space when I wear it, and my foot would "moves back and forth" inside the shoes, which is very harmful to the toes , isn't it ??

It would be nice if someone could help me out

Thanks

2. BadFever

BadFever Regular Member

Happened to me before. You should get a smaller size shoe instead of bigger(start half size smaller than what you are wearing now and reduce again if necessary). Initially, you should feel the shoe a bit too tight out of the box. It took me couple of trials before getting the right size. Good luck.

3. nltung

nltung Regular Member

Thanks for the answer. But I'm afraid I cannot wear a smaller size, since even with my normal size shoes, my feet hurt if I tie the shoes too tight.

I have read somewhere on the Internet that for running shoes, we should use a bigger size. I don't know whether it applies to badminton too ?

4. visor

visor Regular Member

If you have wide feet, you should get wide shoes, eg Yonex shb200.

Also make sure your toenails are cut short enough, otherwise they'll lift when you lunge.

5. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Agree with Visor. Just get wider shoes. There is no point squeezing your feet into something that does not fit and hoping the shoe expands (if it does, it will not support you too well), or get a longer shoe and pray for divine intervention. Movements in badminton is a lot more complex than running so the fit of the shoe is extremely important. A shoe that does not fit results in anything from blisters to lifted nails to sprained ankles.

I'm sure the same running website also tout getting shoes that fit (although I dun believe in running shoes).

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    that's an interesting suggestion. i have worn shoes that are slightly too small before and it was such a torture to wear them. thus i see no logic behind your suggestion, can you explain?

7. BadFever

BadFever Regular Member

This is just from my own personal experience tho. No scientific proof to back me up.

Well, like what nltung said on the bold area above, that's what had happened to me, when I came back from a 10yrs hiatus from baddy. I normally buy shoe about half to one size bigger. Bought my first YY shoe, half size bigger(I could feel my toe a bit loose). Initially, I felt sore on my toe after baddy session and in less than 10 sessions, I had blood under my nail. I stopped playing for a while to let it recover(no more blood). After, I changed my shoe to a smaller one and I have been playing since 2006 till now without re-occurring problem. Also, I have changed quite a few pair of shoes, different brands and still didn't have the problem as long as I stick to half a cm smaller than my normal size.

FYI, when I shop for any shoe, I would buy size 27cm instead of 26.5cm. But I solved my problem by gettting a 26cm. I think a good word to use here is to let the shoe "break-in". During the "break-in" period, yes, it's quite uncomfortable BUT not pain. JUST uncomfortable. If you get pain, I don't think the shoe is right for you or the size is too small!!

Again that's just what I experienced.

8. BadFever

BadFever Regular Member

In this case, I don't think my suggestion suit you. I don't feel hurt of any kind with any of my shoes from size 26cm(very tight) to 27cm(quite loose). You might have a different problem to mine but quite similar from the descriptions.
    So, please ignore what I have posted.

9. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    A friend of mine also had the same problem but imho it was caused by his footwork rather than the shoes. When he lunges, his foot lands on the toes rather than his heel.

Personally I would allow half a thumb's spacing at front of the shoes and I wear thick badminton socks.

10. Valentinas

Valentinas Regular Member

consultant
    Usual problem of heavy badders

Hi

Dear nltung
    It is usual problem for me and for my fellow overweigth badders.
    If for some reasons your feet hits the front of the shoe from inside of the shoe - you will definitely have bleeding or loose the nail on the big toe (or may be other toes).

To awoid this problem you need to care about:

Right shoe size - if it too loose - the foot will slip back and forth inside and will definetily hit the front of the shoe. If it too tight - the foot is reaching the front of the shoe already - any additional force will hurt you. So get a right shoe size.

Right shoe width - if it is too wide - you foot will be loose and slipping back and force - and of corse injuring you. So get a right shoe width.

Right socks size - if sock is too short - it will hurt you. So get a rigth sized anatomic socks. And do not put it hard on - it must have some loose space at the front to prevent damage to you nails.

Right nail cut - if nail is too long - it will hurt. So cut you nails properly.

If you overweight - that is the real problem. Sometimes additional weight is the real problem - shoe have stopped already - and you and you body are still moving - that will hurt you.

And one more -the shoe got too many sweat or the insole is weared. If it too much humidity - the feet will slide. If the insole has too much wear - the feet will slide and hurt you. Have a spare pair of shoes or replace insoles - depends on the cause of the problem.

Hope I haven't forgotten something :) and this will help you not to hurt youself.

Regards,

Valentinas

11. nltung

nltung Regular Member

Thank Sealman and Valentinas, you are both genius and absolutely right !

Yes, I was overweight, 3 years ago, I suddenly gained 15 kg, and as far as I remember the problem occured just afterward. In the last couple of months I managed to lose 10 kg (thanks God, eventually !!!). Footwork must also be part of the reason, not long ago, a friend of mine who does badminton coaching told me that I need to change my footwork since he saw I was standing mostly on the heel and therefore reacted quite slow. Furthermore , when I stand on the heels and do the lunges, my foot automatically lands on the toes, which Sealman already pointed out + my overweight body , of course my toes will get damaged :)

After I lost that 10 kg weight and trained on my footwork, my games are now so much better, some friends of mine even said to me that my performance must have increased by 70%, what a nice compliment :)

Now I have to go to the doctors and have them remove my nail, I think I am having 2 layers of nails at the moment, and the tissues underneath are probably dead .... (I am having a black big toe, and it annoys others when they see that). Hopefully my nail can still grow back ...

I am also ordering this Hi-Tec shoes, it looks quite suitable for me .

Thank you guys so much

#11 nltung, Aug 28, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  12. Kino

Kino New Member

13. Kino

Kino New Member

Hi there!! I GOT AN EXACTLY PROBLEM!
    My footwear now is Yonex Aerus 3 size 42. But may be because i got wide foot and a big toe.
    Can anyone help me with this problem. I intend to buy Mizuno wave claw neo 3E because it have wide head - form wide

Attached Files:

14. rakenrol

rakenrol Regular Member

same problem here. on both big toes to boot. kinda makes me think this has to do with my footwork. Coz I tried on yonex, babolat, mizuno and now on Victor shoes to no avail

15. visor

visor Regular Member

Looks like you have some nail fungal infection there too. You'll need topical meds like Jublia to resolve it

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

16. Kino

Kino New Member

Thank you!! But i am doctor too! ha ha ... It`s just blood clot + old damaged nail, I irrigate it everyday, so there are no infection here.

visor likes this.