Purchasing a pair of badminton shoes

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by SomeDudeInBlue, Jul 22, 2006.

1. SomeDudeInBlue

SomeDudeInBlue Regular Member

Student
    Hey guys!

I'm planning to get a pair of badminton shoes. I have been using black bottom running shoes for a long time now. I think it's time for me to get a pair of badminton shoes because of numerous reason [ one of them is because black bottom shoes are forbidden at badminton recreational centers, like UBC and Smash City x___X ].

I'm planning to go buy a pair this sunday lol But the problem is that I have no idea what to shop for. I don't know what to look for. I never shopped for badminton clothes or shoes.

All I know is that I want a pair of, cheap or reasonable price, Yonex badminton shoes. Can someone explain to me Yonex's "Shoe Technology" lol [that sounds awfully weird]. All i know is that a badminton shoe usually feels better than a running shoe when you play badminton.

I have been looking at some shoes, and I thought the SHB-90 for guys looks pretty nice. but I don't know what the description means.

Round Sole
    Power Cushion
    gLite
    Power Cushion Insole FG
    Power Graphite Light
    Ergoshape
    Double Russel Mesh

...... Eh?

lol i really appreciate it if someone give me a few mins and post tips and information on yonex shoes so i know what to shop for and what is consider a good price. I also appreciate any recommendations too :) thanks

2. jerby

jerby Regular Member

I don't know your location..but if I needed shoes goign out shopping at your local shopping mall won't get you very far...if you want yonex shoes that is...
    as for those 'techs'
    it's not really important...there's some explanation on www.yonex.be
    what matter is support and feel! and personally (i have shb99mx) it does the trick...espcially vs running-shoes...balck-sole runnign shoes aren't made for 'stop and go' sports like badminton..good luck mate!

if you can't find any yoenx shoes ask soem sport-shops for vollyball-shoes like asics...the cushioning is better. but the shoe is higher (so less ankle-support) and look for good grip and a snug fit

3. missbrainy12

missbrainy12 Regular Member

I want to buy badminton shoes too but I'm not really sure what to look for. I've heard that racquetball and squash shoes are good for badminton, is there any truth to that?

4. mandm

mandm Regular Member

i use squash shoes for badminton and never had any problem..my squash court is wooden but the badminton courts are synthetic..

5. Tweak

Tweak Regular Member

Student
    Some good badminton shoe brands include Yonex and Mizuno, but other notable brands include Hi-Tec, New Balance, or Asics. I personally use a pair of 9K Mizuno shoes, but remember to choose a pair that is right for you. Good lateral support, great grip, and low-to-the-ground structure is a must if you want to avoid injuries.

6. Double_Player

Double_Player Regular Member

9 kv mizuno shoes works great for me. have it for a year now. the left side starts to get some hole on the inside side (<--?? correct english?) . It's a V-ball shoes.

7. lightsmash

lightsmash Regular Member

Target board
    You left out SOTX. :D

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I believe www.badmintonalley.com has a store front in smashcity. Therefore, if you live close by, you can surely stop by and take a look. Usually big sports chain stores don't carry badminton shoes.

Regarding to the brand and models, you need to put on the shoes and try. Well made badminton shoes from reputable brands (Yonex, Gosen, SOTX, Hi-Tec, Wilson, etc) are ranged from US$40-100 range. You need to try and compare, and make the selection by yourself. ;)