question about what a tumbling net shot is?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by ralphz, Sep 11, 2019.

1. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

What makes a net shot classified as a "tumbling" net shot?

Is it related to the distance which it is played from the net? so if played from very close then it's tumbling? (And woudl that be close to the net, or close to the net tape, or both?)

Or does it also mean one that is done not just close to the net but with putting spin on the shuttle?

If a net shot is played from only a little bit below the net tape, but without spin, and the shuttle tumbles over the net tape, is it termed a tumbling net shot? how about if it clears the net tape but very tightly, is that tumbling? or is a tumbling net shot where it's not just tight but the player has jabbed at it?

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

It's mostly just another term for "spinning net shot".

ralphz likes this.
  3. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

I thought, that a spinning net shot is related to the speed of the rotation of the shuttle, resulting in falling closer behind the net and tumbling referred to the shuttle turning over more often, resulting in harder control.

Are these even two different shots ? Or is the rotation effect negligible ?

4. visor

visor Regular Member

Slicing the shot would cause faster shuttle rotation, thus slowing down more after crossing the net.

Tumbling = spinning when applying to net shot, where the shuttle spins end over end as it crosses the net, ie cork over feather.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Ballschubser likes this.
  5. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Yeah, technically you could say that some spinning net shots do not tumble.

It's possible to have the shuttle stay inverted while spinning faster-than-normal about its axis. That kind of spin happens rarely and unpredictably though, except in feeding.

Or you could say that some spinning net shots just "wobble" instead of tumbling, because they don't actually turn over.

It's not a particularly useful distinction.

Ballschubser likes this.
  6. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

I have one player at my club who is able to play a very tight, hairpin net shot by taking the shuttle really low and very close to the net with some extreme slicing action. It looks like a really short crosscourt net shot (~50cm wide), there's no additional turn over, but a lot of rotational speed.

Thought the shot is not really reliable (it works 60:40) and he propably practised it for years (to bash some noobs ;)).

7. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Yep, there are some pretty crazy net shots that you can pull off with enough skill!

You can even hit a cross-court net shot using slice (works best when a bit further away from the net). Not something I can do with any real consistency, but it's fun.