Question: How have you changed your technique after watching the Pros

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Richizzle, Oct 6, 2015.

1. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    this standing on the line is also something i tried to copy, first standing near the service line at receiving the serve and the back line during defence. at serve I'm prone to high flicks and at defence got problems with drops too.but it works well with low serve and smashes.

looks like if you don't have the leg strength of Pro players you can't do those standing on the line thing.

2. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    Top players does not always do what the theory tells. In practice there is all kind of modifications and there is a saying that an old famous top player used the wrong grip.
    So I pay attention to different versions of things across players and I also learn about what NOT to do.
    I also look at the players mood, how they react and feel, face expression when hitting, but that is going in to details.
    Analyze technics from tv can be tricky e.g. the serve, they zoom in and out so you cant get the full movement or correct angle.

3. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

I've been modifying my footwork patterns a lot by watching the pro's. I've always been known to be quite a fast player on the court, but having watched the pro's (LD, LCW in particular as they are similar height), I've noticed how effortless they make it look.

And the reason for the effortless nature is that their footwork is efficient - not only in the actual steps taken to reach the shuttle, but also in the choice of shot they take.

The most obvious example I saw this is the forehand rearcourt corner. Almost never do they chasse back and do a scissor jump and run back to base. Almost always they do a step out - even if they have plenty of time to reach it!

I wondered why this was the case, when i know they are perfectly capable of doing the scissor jump, or even a jump out instead of a step out. Or why do they step out when they could jump out to get there early, then step through the shot?

So I tried it out and the difference amazed me. By stepping out, you remain relaxed - more control + more power. The slightly slower recovery is minimal compared to the opportunity for deception, combined with the control and power. Additionally, although the recovery is slower, you remain much more balanced - there's less room for error.

This is just one example, but one that i found very surprising, and very useful! I still need to learn when a jump-out IS a good idea (generally when my opponent is under pressure theoretically), but that comes with practice.

4. amleto

amleto Regular Member

I find the step-out recovery is quicker than jump out - you don't have to wait to land plus your CoM is already closer to base.

5. DarkHiatus

Agreed - it's much more obvious when you compare returning a shot when you have loads of time e.g. high clear. You wouldn't need a jump out there, when you can chasse all the way back.

But why do they still step out when they can chasse all the way back, wait for it, then hit it with a follow through, stepping through with their racquet leg?

I answered in my post above why i think so, but intuitively, and by coaching, most people are taught not to step out to return a high clear, and to go all the way to get behind it, then play a shot stepping through.

6. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    In singles, at higher levels especially, it's more beneficial for them not to be out of place than it is to be behind the shuttle. They usually use the step out on wide shots, ones that are within 1 foot of the side. While getting behind is an option, they leave the court wide open.

It's the same reason for playing fast drops from this position, a slow drop would be easy to play a good net reply, and again force them out of position. They want to avoid this.

7. DarkHiatus

Exactly! I managed to observe this in the pro's and work it into my game and felt the benefits immediately. I hadn't been coached at that point, and almost every YouTube video advocates getting behind the shuttle, so it wasn't as obvious as you might think.

Sometimes there really is no replacement for a decent coach, but having easy access to watch high level games, and the feedback from this forum at least alleviates the missing coach a little!

I do now have a coach, and it'll be interesting to see how that works out. Seems to be making a difference already :)

8. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    My coaches still want me to always get all the way behind the shuttle... but I use the step out quite a bit. Play a drop to the middle or hammer it back straight with a clear. The trick is getting the trunk rotation with the stepout, you kind have to turn but not move your leg.

9. DarkHiatus

I tend to return them with a fast straight drive down the tramline. Not many people can pull off a decent crosscourt shot. Have the drop to crosscourt/middle, or a clear for some variation.

I used to get behind it, but the only additional shots you can play are a crosscourt clear, or a smash. Both of which aren't quite as useful as being fully recovered for the next stroke, I find.

10. LordGopu

LordGopu Regular Member

The only thing I learned to do from the pros (most stuff I learned from the Internet, including here) is to stand as close to the service line as possible when receiving a serve in doubles. That way you can just pounce on short serves.

The problem is that most people serve long to me now so I have to keep running back to get them lol :S

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    They don't chasse back because they can save time. This technique is good for flat clears. But it all depends on the situation and that is very different for us amateur players compared to those who train 3 or more times a week.

The reason why the scissor jump is taught is because it is a basic technique. Rotation of the hips and body is easier. If you have that, then other things become easier.

The scissor kick is also inefficient if the shuttle is directed near the tramlines. You lose control of the balance to cover the rest of the court. If you have been training to do the scissor kick in your extreme forehand corner, it is a situation we don't use very often in games.

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

In this video, you see Lin Dan doing some modified scissor kick smashes on his forehand side.

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Wang Zhengming at 4.36, 4.41

14. LordGopu

LordGopu Regular Member

Haha, that first set of dives at the beginning are funny. Back before he knew how to recover from them so he just lays there.