Racket Advice :)

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by HardWorkPaysOff, Oct 6, 2018.

1. HardWorkPaysOff

HardWorkPaysOff New Member

It´s time for my first post here as I really need help with the purchase of a new racket.
    First of all I want to introduce myself a little bit ;)

When I started with Badminton I almost entirely played Double. Nowadays I also play Single, but not as successful as Im playing Doubles. I would say that I have a very decent front game and also a decent drop from the backcourt. My problems are mostly the smash and a good clear in single games. At the moment Im playing with a light racket and I have the feeling that it is not very suitable for single matches. I would prefer to buy a Yonex Racket and currently the Z-Force 2 and the Arcsaber 11 had made it to the shortlist.

Im really thankful for any advice or ideas!:)

2. pierreyj

pierreyj Regular Member

ZF2 would be too stiff for you, Arc 11 seems a way better choice as you could use it for both singles and doubles.

3. jordylim

jordylim Regular Member

My suggestion good at both single/double:
    1. Astrox 88D
    2. Arc 11
    3. Astrox 99
    4. BS 12
    4. Astrox 88S

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

4. CRZ-ZF1

CRZ-ZF1 Regular Member

It sounds like OP will have to work on your technique, footwork and shot selections.
    OP you need to tell us what racquet you are using now and preferably the string, string tension you are playing with. Without that it is very difficult to recommend.

Arc 11 or Duora 10 or AX 77 are good to start off if you prefer Yonex, BS 12 or JS 12 are good Victor racquet as well.

I wouldn't recommend ZF-2 unless you have really good technique to unleash the power in it.

Stick with 3U racquet for now, slowly work your string tension to find what works for you. I wouldn't recommend 4U racquet if OP is struggling to perform good clear. If your feet is not fast enough to generate a good clear, then lighter racquet wouldn't help here.

ucantseeme likes this.
  5. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Universal recommendation in that case would be an even to slightly head heavy balanced 3U racket with a medium stiff to stiff'ish shaft. If you want to focus on Yonex only, then this practically spells Arc11 or AX77. Both will give you a solid foundation to build up your technique on - which will be the most crucial thing you need to do to seriuosly improve your game. Hitting a good length base to base clear should not require any real effort, no matter which racket you are using.

I do join the club not recommending the ZF2 since that is a racket that punishes any weaknesses in your technique instead of helping you with them.

#5 s_mair, Oct 10, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    ucantseeme likes this.
  6. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    A good clear is the bread and butter for singles. If you struggle there, it's not surprising that you don't play singles at same level of your doubles play.

I agree with the thesis that you should work on your technique. Footwork and stroking technique are the keys for every overhead shot. If your smash and clear are on the weak side, I would also say that your drop could be decent as well.

IMO a new racket is just a supportive part of the solution, but the solution are you. IMO you should stay away from all stiff rackets. They are popular, but will maybe not be the best and well-suited choice for you.

I agree that you should stay away from the ZFII and would be better off with a more easy to use racket like N9II or a 3U AX77. Anything else wouldn't make sense.

IMO it would be interesting if you share what's your current racket is and your set-up. For how long do you play and how serious?

7. LinHalu

LinHalu Regular Member

opinions:
    1. I'll agree with the club saying u shld take a slight head heavy racket. Unless you've been playing with a sledgehammer (eg. yonex zf2), dont go with one too head heavy. Also, dont go too stiff, no power one.

2. 3U will be ok for u, if u prefer power attacks, but its generally what i prefer. ur choice to decide on overall weight.

I would recommend:
    -Yonex Voltric 70 E Tune
    -Yonex Astrox 77
    -Yonex Duora 10
    -Yonex Arcsaber 11

if u like Li-Ning:
    -N99
    -N90IV
    -N7

if you like Victor:
    -JS11
    -JS12
    -HX900

Cheers:)

8. HardWorkPaysOff

HardWorkPaysOff New Member

I want to give you guys a short update about my racket choice, as it may help someone in the future. But first of all I have to say thank you for your great advice. I tried out a lot yonex and oliver rackets in the last couple of months (the retailers in my closer region dont offer Li Ning rackets). I can´t really recommend any of these oliver rackets, as I did not like them and had bad experience before. Im now playing with the ArcSaber 11 and I am still very satisfied with this choice. This racket really suits me and I am also satisfied with my personal progress in the last couple of moths. Let´s see if I will have the opportunity to play Li Ning rackets in the nearer future :D

Cheers

offbad and s_mair like this.