racket stiffness vs player skills

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by checkthemc, May 3, 2006.

1. checkthemc

checkthemc Regular Member

None/Student
    Not sure where to put this so I'll just put it here.

I heard that a flexible racket rewards a person with a slower arm swing while a stiff racket rewards a person with a faster arm swing. Is this correct?
    Additionally, by a slower arm swing person, does that classify the person as more of a "wrist" player?
    Now if the racket is headheavy,will it be the same still?

I also heard that someone, I believe it to be DinkALot, in the thread (Whats the most badass smashing racket), said that more advanced players to not use a beginner flexible racket. However, didn't peter gade use a Muscle power 88 and isn't that one of the most flexible rackets around?

2. anarkia

anarkia Regular Member

Sit infront of the colourful box, that change colo
    i think when Dink say "advanced players" he mean the "hard hitter"..maybe

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    mp88 only for 1 to 1.5 yrs, peter had been using at700 for sometime now.

4. SPaterson

SPaterson Regular Member

Student, Programmer
    I think there's correlation between skill and racquet stiffness, but it's only GENERAL.

E.g. "More advanced players use stiff racquets than not, in general this is because etc..." whatever.

As with the MP88 example, I know of plenty of county level players using such racquets, and plenty of other racquets that are used by people that are flexible and these people are of 'advanced' level.

Regarding what type of racquet rewards what type of swing, to be honest I'm not sure myself having not looked into it / read other threads it's stated in; but I think there are a lot of variables that effect those factors. There again, it's a very generalised rule/guide.

5. anarkia

anarkia Regular Member

Sit infront of the colourful box, that change colo
    checkthemc vbmenu_register("postmenu_373339", true); : i think you go and look for yonex blacken if you want stiff and good smashing racket....that antique really rocks!....i still used it and have it with me in every games.

6. johnyj

johnyj New Member

I checked stiffness on google, some article from golf suggest that stiffness is related to the swing speed, higher swing speed require stiffer shaft to be accurate.

I don't think my swing speed is very slow, but I need to store the power in a bended racket shaft instead of hurting myself, I always think that my MP99 is too stiff, hurting my arms sometimes, otherwise it is almost perfect.

Is there anyone tried any method that can reduce the stiffness of the shaft (for example, bend it hard for some several thounsand times...) ?

7. Lin Dan-Fan

Lin Dan-Fan Regular Member

I think it does correlates with your swingspeed. I believe that flexible rackets are more forgiving in term of power just like how the tension of strings work. The higher you string it the less power you have and u need to compensate with a harder swing, but u get more control and vice versa when strung with a low tension. A hard hitter will not like flexible rackets since they will be able to flex it so much that the snap back will be uncomfortable and lose responsiveness of the strike. I think of it in terms of springs, a small spring takes less force to compress but will give little power when release, but a big one like those in car shocks take a huge amount of force to compress but will release an equally large amount of force. So a really large amount of force on a weak spring is useless because there is a limit to how much it can take. And more advance player can prolly hit harder thus a need for stiffer rackets

8. Viper2005

Viper2005 Regular Member

Play Badminton Everyday!
    I heard a racket dealer once explained about long carbons and short carbon graphites used in the shaft. Some rackets manufactured with the long carbon graphites tends to have a stiff shaft and rackets made with the short carbon graphite will be flexible. Anyone heard something similiar?

9. johnyj

johnyj New Member

The problem is that you always need to play push and net shots, which require a flexible shaft. In order to hit hard, you also need to run very fast to all the corner to preoccupy the best hitting position, this is not always the case, especially for non-professional players.