Racquet for amateur

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by y11971alex, Mar 5, 2019.

1. y11971alex

y11971alex Regular Member

Hi all,

I’m a badminton player about 5’ 7” tall and have played the game since introduction during gym class at school. I would say I smash comparatively little and play a lot of drop shots from both the rear and fore court. I am in need of more length on the backhand side (rear to rear court shots on that side rarely produce desirable results). Within my group I play a placement game that requires some shot variety.
    I’ve not played much in the last two years or so and have relied, when playing then, on friends’ racquets; my own racquets have been given to my relatives. They are RSL brand (model I can’t remember) and purchased around 2000. They had egg-shaped heads compared to the squarish one I use now.
    I am looking for a racquet that has similar playing characteristics to the RSLs, which brought me to the Carbonex line offered by Yonex. I’m a little confused since their line seems to be offered towards “institutional use” rather than what I remember to be the case. Are Carbonex racquets still worth buying (noting low price) or are there other round-head products I should look into?

Best,

2. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Maybe its can help abit with some blind test on shop, which i think is way more easier than asking what racket is good & getting abunch of sugestion which might end up confusing u even more. Afterall u didnt even know the racket type or spec u use before.

Just pick any racket within ur price range. Look for some space & do variety of swing (smash, drive, clear, etc) or simply swing the racket all around. But be carefull, u dint want to hit it to the shelf or wall & end up buying it. Pick few racket that u feel like it.
    Then check its shaft flex. As u said u are a beginner, so remove the one that has stiff shaft. Leaving mid flex to full flex, then u can choose whichever look nice.

3. y11971alex

y11971alex Regular Member

Thanks for this tip, though the racquet shops in my region don’t offer demos. I got a Cab-21 Special at 19 lbs. Will review once I played with it.