Rebuild Merco-clamps to 12.2 pins!

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Super85, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Super85

Super85 Regular Member

Lately I've been looking to change my original clamps on my Superstringer T50.
    I even wanted to change my bases (even if they does the job well) to get away from the 12.2 diameter where the range for clamps is a bit limited...and that I have started to get more picky and I am craving for those new Xpider bases with the associated stringclamps.

Unfortunately, that option is not available right now for Superstringer machines,
    and I understand that I may be alone in being willing to spend that sum on a cheaper machine, so I have to look for other ways to get new clamps to fit my old bases.

A big thank’s to Dirk on Tennisman for related guidance!

But I found a way! I’ve looked on those new Merco clamps which seems to be constructed in the same way as mine, which means it should be possible to remove the screws and replace the pins to make them fit my bases. I got the Merco clamps today and it went as planned!

Course of action and pics coming soon!

kwun likes this.
  2. Super85

Super85 Regular Member

This was a simple procedure. It was mostly about removing the plate in front of the screws and loosening them, and then replacing the pins between the clamps and retaining the screws again...and now you have a Merco 12.2mm clamp.

Just got unpacked

First step to tear down

Plate remowed for access to unscrew

The swap of the pins

And now put the clamp together

Finished and it works like a dream!

#2 Super85, Dec 2, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    SweString, endFX and speCulatius like this.
  3. Super85

Super85 Regular Member

I bought the clamps with a clean chance and hoped that they would be a good upgrade, and after only stringing a single rack with them with Aerosonic at 29lbs so am I impressed with how well they perform. First adjustment I did to tighten them I thought it would be way too loose for 29 lbs with aerosonic but they didn't even sweat and felt very stable and smooth all the way.

The only downside to them I can think of is that I'm a little bit scared that they will open up very easily, sometimes it hardly feels like I'm touching them and they open up. Hope they get a little firmer with time! :)

4. endFX

endFX Regular Member

Badminton tryhard
    Nice work.
    A while back I was also thinking of a method of making the xpider clamps fit into 12,2mm bases.
    Those clamps aren't screwed into the pin directly. Instead they have 2 screws at to he bottom side by side.
    [​IMG]
    My idea was to either weld a vertical plate onto the AEF pin or make some kind of T-shaped plate to connect the AEF pins with the Xpider clamp-body.
    I could have easily made such plates out of nickelsilver but was afraid it's too weak. Steel would be better but I don't have it at hand.
    In the end I kept the AEF clamps since they are already far better then what I had before and areworking perfectly fine for me.

Are the teeth of the merco clamps similar to the xpider?
    If so your way is much more convenient to upgrade.

5. Super85

Super85 Regular Member

Yes! I’ve also thought on the same ideas on how to make those clamps to fit into 12.2 bases, but I never completed the drawings into reality. I belive those are the best for Its value, but I think the Merco clamps performing just as well/ or better to a higher cost.

I can’t speak for the Xpider’s teeth...if you meant the gaps between the teeths, then there is no problems for the Merco on the crosses. I can reach the frame much better and closer with the Merco clamp than I did with the AEF’s The body and the edges on the Merco clamps is much more slim and makes the clamping-process work easier.

It looks like it has a similar surface coating as the Xpider clamp.

endFX likes this.
  6. Tennisman

Tennisman Regular Member

@Super85: Looks good

@ all
    As we had a some customers in the past few weeks who asked for the Xpider push down clamp base and the clamps we decided to sell the machine also without the Motor.

[​IMG]

As the clamp bases cost 275,- euro and the clamps 89,- Euro. 2 New clamp bases and 2 new clamps cost 729,- Euro. (Special Price for Forum user 699 Euro) this is expensive only to upgrade your machine. It is better to buy this Version for 899,- Euro.
    https://www.tennisman.de/Weiteres/B...ml?force_sid=ae9b4be2996cb0b5e5768643a720fafa

Perfect for customers who already have a wise Motor. You can fix the Motor within seconds on the machine and the result is a high Quality machine with a good Price.

emjay, speCulatius and Super85 like this.
  7. Super85

Super85 Regular Member

What a great option to choose of when you looking for something real decent stuff!

I think there are many with a Wise who has upgraded their first big step after buying their first machine, which you then grow out of when you want better mechanics and quality. That's how it went for me after my PS8600 and then a Wise and then I wanted a more solid base with the mechanics (towers, bases and clamps) to combine with... now I love my SS T50, but still just looking for some small gold grains to finally gild it with. ;)

What exactly in an technically way is it what makes a Stringmaster (Xpider) base not work on a Superstringer rail?

8. Super85

Super85 Regular Member

Thought just sharing with me a little prototype of plexiglas how a rebuilding bracket might look like to the Xpider clamps. I think it's completely possible to make this work on the AEF 12.2 pins.

Attached Files:

endFX likes this.
  9. Super85

Super85 Regular Member

Sorry, but this second bracket is what it should work best if you don’t want to cut your pins in length. All it takes is a small piece of metal with four drilled holes in it...no nucleosynthesis
    directly.

Forgive me for my sloppy execution ... it went quickly between the christmas cooking!

Merry Xmas all BC’ers!

Attached Files:

endFX likes this.