Recommendation for Headlight Racket for Doubles

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Sooraj, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Sooraj

Sooraj New Member

Hi all,

I am an intermediate player increasingly forced to play doubles because of the necessity to accommodate more number of club players.

Strengths: Smashes, Clears, Lifts, Netkill
    Weaknesses: drops, netplay, counter punches

I play with a Voltric 5 for doubles and Voltric ZF2 for singles.
    With the voltric 5 I have trouble with fast counter punches especially when they are aimed at my body.

I wonder if going for a headlight racket will solve my problem.
    And then I evaluated the following options based on online reviews:

Yonex NanoSpeed 9900 (Headlight, Stiff, Normal racket head size)
    I read that this is an amazing headlight racket, but due to its stiffness some online reviews it might not help in the counter exchanges. Although this is no longer in production, there might be the possibility of buying a second hand one

Victor Jetspeed 10 (Headlight, Stiff, Compact racket head size)
    Based on reviews, I am most convinced about this one as a superfast racket, but I am slightly wary of the compact head size. The ZF2 which I use for singles has very low tolerance for anything that doesn't hit the sweetspot and I wonder if JF10 would behave similarly.

Victor Jetspeed 12 (Balanced, Medium Flex, Normal racket head size)
    Although slightly slower, supposed to be even better than JS10, but from the reviews it sounds similar to my V5, and I wonder if this would behave any differently.

Sadly, there is no shop in my surroundings where I can feel these high end rackets in my hand and the only time I can experience is once I receive the racket delivered via post.

Any input/suggestions is welcome.

Thanks,
    Sooraj.

2. dave010

dave010 Regular Member

A headlight racquet will help, but I've found that technique matters just as much. I bought an FB for doubles, which is about as light and fast as racquets go. However, I continued practising with the ZF2, doing wall drills and now I'm 95% as fast with the ZF2 as the FB. I also felt the FB was too light and hard to control when playing lots of tight net shots.

Sooraj likes this.
  3. visor

visor Regular Member

Since you have Yonex, may as well keep it all Yonex with the always excellent Arc 10/11. Or the Duora 10 which is supposed to replace it. All balanced to slightly head heavy, used by many pros all over for fast doubles.

Sooraj likes this.
  4. Sooraj

Sooraj New Member

Thank you visor. Question would be: In what way would these models better than the V5 that I have?

5. visor

visor Regular Member

Assuming your VT5 and ZF2 are 3U's, then the rackets I mentioned would be more maneuverable and easier to wield for fast doubles battles.

Sooraj likes this.
  6. Sooraj

Sooraj New Member

That's interesting, that you use ZF2 even for doubles. The only time I have done that is while I have given the V5 for stringing. The problem for me with ZF2 is that during net play the repulsion is so strong that with slightly more effort the shuttle would lob way higher than I want it to. While in singles I can still work around by deceiving the opponent by delaying my shot giving him an intuition that I will go for the lift and then changing it to a soft touch, in doubles that might be very difficult given that the opponent at the front is always waiting to pounce upon. Do you face such kind of problems with ZF2?

7. riffsuad

riffsuad Regular Member

engineer
    U can try yonex Nanoray Zspeed

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

8. dave010

dave010 Regular Member

I personally don't use deception, so I can't say anything about it. In doubles, the front player will always be close to the net, so you will have to play the shuttle very close to the net. The net game requires a very delicate touch, and the slicing motion must be controlled well to keep the shuttle close to the net. My goals when playing at the front is to win a lift which can then be smashed and killing loose shots.

I like the weight in the head of the racquet because I can feel the shot better, giving me better control. Drives are one of my strengths, so I have no trouble with them. Keep in mind that it is harder to perform a good drop shot with a lighter head racquet, there is less feel. Defending the body is much easier if you hold the racquet higher up and further in front of you. I don't think there is much difference between racquets in this situation.

For me, head light racquets are distinctly better in three areas: drives, defense and stick smashes.

riffsuad likes this.
  9. esppy

esppy Regular Member

I am all in with the NR900. But tight net shots hard to control, it makes me feel like I should use brute force for every shot instead of trying to go for that perfect tight spinning net shot.

10. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

Try contacting the shuttle closer to the t-joint. This should feel less lively.

11. Sianturi

Sianturi Regular Member

If u like vtzf2, why don't u try the 4U version? I use 3U for singles and 4U for doubles (faster in front of the net, but lacks the smashing raw power of 3U)

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Sooraj likes this.
  12. dave010

dave010 Regular Member

I have both the 3U and 4U, and I find the 4U to be a considerably worse racquet. I think it feels less solid and too lightweight. I need to add lead tape to the 4U version because I feel that the head weight is just not there. I can consistently land smashes near the sidelines with the 3U but not the 4U. It seems like the 4U is alot less stable when hitting powerful shots. The 3U is my favourite racquet while I haven't played the 4U in many months already. I have trouble believing that a 4-5 grams lighter racquet is going to be faster, and I defend quite similarly with both.