Regarding the technique/training forum

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by dlp, Jul 29, 2011.

1. visor

visor Regular Member

^^ In that case, a voter should have a minimum number of posts, perhaps 500, before s/he can vote. Also this is only recommending a good post, it'll be up to moderators to sticky. .... This voting/recommending system is already working quite well on such websites as product reviews on eBay/amazon and other discussion forums in order to recognize and rank good posts/posters. ... In a way, it is a review of the reviewer's post to reflect the quality of his post. ... If anyone has a better suggestion, we'd all be glad to hear it.

2. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    I think it would be a good idea to have post ratings, even without any restrictions on who can post. If a post is getting a lot of recommendations, it's probably safe to assume they're not all from newbies.
    I'm sure there a people who post all the time but still can't play badminton for toffee (or perhaps just have very unorthodox technique), and people like Matt who have relatively few posts (<500) but are experienced coaches who do know what they're talking about.

I was thinking it would be nice to expand the auto-search feature to include ratings.
    eg.
    -> User tries to start a new topic entitled "forehand smash"
    -> BC automatically searches for posts containing "forehand smash" and displays 5 best matches (ranked according to relevance and "usefulness").
    -> When visiting one of these posts, the user is asked "Was this post useful? Y/N". The more often a post is rated as useful, the higher it is ranked the next time someone searches for similar terms.
    -> The user can still go ahead and create a new topic if they wish (maybe there are no useful threads, or they need urgent help and don't have time to read them all, etc).

Probably not really feasible to implement though...

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Post ratings

kwun tried it back in 2007, found located at;

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php/45143-ANNOUNCEMENT-new-Karma-system

Have a read of Post #1;

some member express concerns that we need a system to tell if a member's comment is trustworthy or not.

to that end, BC is going to experiment with a karma system.

the way it works is quite simple. the karma system is a member-to-member award system, you can award each post that you see a positive or a negative karma depending on your reaction on it. over time, each member will gain or lose karma points. we hope that will be a more accurate measure of a member's trustworthiness.

And in Post #204, kwun's last post there;

ok. so what i have feared in the beginning has come true. the karma system has turned not only into a popularity contest, but also a tool for personal attack.

as a result, the karma system has been switched off.

#23 chris-ccc, Aug 4, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  4. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    These things are never easy to implement unfortunately. Thanks for showing that thread chris.

5. visor

visor Regular Member

Re personal attack votes, it's not that difficult to monitor the ip address and allow only one vote per ip per post. And pretty soon these violators would be banned from the forum sooner or later for their other delinquent behavior. ... Otherwise, without a good system in place, there's a lot of useful info on this forum that is buried and lost and is very difficult to sift thru intelligently.

6. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

About the rejected Karma System

Perhaps it's too much work for kwun and moderators to monitor the violators.

Actually Post #7 of that thread (by wilfredlgf) pointed out some good things about the Karma system;

One step in establishing credibility. Being the biggest badminton website in the world requires that the information posted are 'accurate enough' and 'trustworthy'.

Karma points can help point the direction to those who more or less fit the criteria above in terms of their opinions, not necessarily elevating them to the level of gods in the process.

etc, etc, ......

#26 chris-ccc, Aug 4, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  7. visor

visor Regular Member

So, since four long years have passed since that trial karma system, perhaps there is an improved version that can be implemented that can be free from personal attacks and such?

8. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Karma System: Perhaps there is an improved version that can be implemented?

Let's hope to hear replies from kwun and our moderators. :):):)

9. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    As a thought, what if there was no "negative" assessment. Is it still possible to "attack users"? The only way to do that would be to like everyone EXCEPT a user... which seems a bit pointless. And what with monitoring users accounts (allowing only one "like"), would the same problems arise? Worth considering maybe? Struggling to think of any "problems" with it...

10. visor

visor Regular Member

^^Very good point Matt! Only allow like or recommend as useful, no negative points like in karma system. That should prevent any attacking from happening.

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    hi all,

the karma system that was used then was a chris quote, a failure. however, the landscape of social interaction and feedback on the internet has changed quite a bit since 2008. at that point, no one really know what facebook and like means and how it would have transforms the whole internet. i think BC can adopt a similar system which now has a proven track record and most people are already familiar with. the task now is to find one that works and works well with the current forum software and also one that can allow us to achieve what you guys mentioned above. a "like" that disappear into the archive isn't a useful like at all. i hope there will be one that is able to pull out all the most like'd threads and be able to reference it. i hope there is such a addon out there.

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    found one and installed it. play with it and see what you guys think...

13. visor

visor Regular Member

Thanx kwun! That was fast! ... Next you should get the forum software to recognize new paragraphs on the iPhone.

14. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

The 'Like' system appears to be working OK

Yes, I have tested the 'Like' system (for both thread and post). It appears to be working OK.

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i looked into that. basically the developer is blaming Apple for their implementation not following the spec. so likely nothing will happens for a while before someone decides to fix it...

strange though as it works for my iphone which was updated to the latest iOS...

16. visor

visor Regular Member

Ah then it must be me... I'm hacked...still jailbroken on 4.1 :(

17. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    This is all very exciting! (All hail moderator kwun for this lightning fast addition!) One thing that annoyed me slightly, was that I got a notification on my profile that someone liked what I wrote. I could see the post ID, the name of the thread. From there however, I couldn't see what they had liked easily. Is there some way of adding a link to view the post/ page of the thread the person liked? Its a minor point, but worth asking!

18. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Where is my notification?

For me, when I clicked on my notification (was shown that I have 2 messages), it took so long to get the notification that my computer/internet connection gave up (saying that the website is unavailable). :eek::eek::eek:

I am still trying to find my notification. :):):)

19. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Enjoy it when you find it ;)

20. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    It may be a thought to make the like post bar to touch the relevant post cause I was bit confused as to whether is it top or above post. I know its above post but jus to make it less confusing, it would help to move it up to it