Replacing shuttles

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Magwitch, Dec 20, 2022.

1. Magwitch

Magwitch Regular Member

I have previously mentioned I have chronic fatigue. Would I use more energy playing with new shuttles or shuttles that are getting worn?

2. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Uuummmm.... Not quite understand what you ask...

If you talk about how would changing shuttle would affect your games,
    Different shuttle had different speed category. Thats by spec but ofcourse different hall with different air condition (wet, dry, etc) would affect the performance.

By feel itself that not mentioned on paper, some cork had solid hard ball & some other had kinda soft ball. This affect the hitting feel. The soft one give you heavy feel while the hard one give you light feel.

Other thing to notice are quality. Good quality shuttle not easily wear down (both feather & ball). Thorned feather slow down shuttle & worn out ball absorb to much energy.

If you change shuttle, you need to experiment urself to see how the shuttle goes.

Regarding, does using different shuttle would makes it less tiring? Im not quite sure to answer this coz i had mixed feeling about it.
    1 time i use friend shuttle which i think its speedy shuttle. Its light feel & just little touch would shot the shuttle out of the court again & again, makes me look like an idiot with brute playing badminton. It seems easier but as its travel faster, it need faster footwork & preparation to catch the shuttle.
    Other time i tried other local brand shuttle which turn out slow shuttle. Combined that time im stringing my racket with BG80. Its so damn tiring to get a good length of clear hit & also harder to gain good shuttle speed for attacking. But it might be me under illusion its being slower thus feel like i cant put good preasure on my shot.

3. Magwitch

Magwitch Regular Member

I just want to know which is more tiring, playing with new or 'used' shuttles.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    If feather shuttles, then the used shuttles would be more tiring.

Used feather shuttles usually slow down faster as the feathers are not so aerodynamic after being hit. Thus you have to put more effort into hitting it harder for the same distance.

Magwitch, visor, Woesi and 1 other person like this.
  5. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

I think somebody once mentioned to me that feather shuttles that are worn a bit will slow down but if you keep playing with them and they get more beaten up, then they speed up again!

6. Budi

Budi Regular Member

I dont think so.
    Worn out are worn out & it wont getting better as it keep getting beaten from player stroke.
    But at certain point, a feather could be fixed to keep the aerodynamics & prolong their playability but worn out ball are not fixable.

7. viver

viver Regular Member

Damaged feather shuttles could travel faster than the good ones. Only that, are these shuttles still playable?

8. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

I know a guy that doesn't like to change a shuttle mid game (Unless the shuttle is wobbly). But I'm pretty sure there have been cases of a shuttle slowing from some damage, and then when it later got faster they were happier with it, so it hadn't got worse in terms of flight. That guy doesn't like wobbly shuttles. It puts him off.

He was telling me one time he played a guy whose game favoured a slow shuttle. And with one shuttle, while it was new , slow shuttle guy didn't do well. When it wore down a bit, slow shuttle guy did well. When it wore down more, slow shuttle guy started losing points again. It can't have been wobbly cos the guy playing the slow shuttle guy would have changed it if it was. So it would have become more playable for him against the slow shuttle guy, when it wore down some more and got faster.

That's not a recommendation for playing with either worn or more worn shuttles. Just sayin it can happen. I guess it can be still playable if not wobbly and I'd bet that it wasn't wobbly.

Also that guy that can't stand wobbly shuttles has told me that he has played many people that don't seem to be that affected by it. So a shuttle that drives him mad because of some wobble, might even go unnoticed by his opponent! So if a shuttle starts wobbling a bit mid rally, he will likely lose that rally. And it can favour his opponent.

Re the question about exhaustion

Maybe if a person has to ask, then, they either aren't affected by it, or they should play with somebody that notices these things.

Whether or not somebody gets more tired when a shuttle wears out could be particular to the person. And even could be depending on their opponent cos the dynamics of the game could play a role.

Really if somebody gets exhausted in a badminton game, a correct speed shuttle probably won't make a big difference. What makes a big difference is length of rallies and how much one is being made to move around

#8 ralphz, Dec 21, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2022
    Magwitch likes this.
  9. viver

viver Regular Member

I spoke based on my own experience, I don't know about yours. I played with feather shuttles, varying from top grade used in international tournaments to training grade ones (in those days the cost was under US$ 2.00 per dozen) used in training for juniors. I never played with feather shuttles that went bad, damaged and returning to playable condition (also from my playing preference). We can also tweak the feather shuttles to the speed of our preference, of course this is not possible/allowed during tournaments.

As for the OP, he/she will find out what will be his/her own preferences. Feather shuttles are speed rated, if the slower speed do not work then get the faster ones. But of course, this will also depend with the players in the playing group.

Magwitch likes this.
  10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    However, the shuttles definitely don’t speed up to the original speed and stay at that speed. They go even faster than that because of effectively losing the actual feathers or the circular shape of the skirt has been compressed.

11. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

I have no doubt that he wouldn't have started a new game with that shuttle cos he wouldn't have wanted to play with it long enough to have rallies with that happening!