Replacing wooden handle

Discussion in 'Broken Rackets' started by techno79, May 16, 2016.

1. techno79

techno79 Regular Member

Hi. I've got a Yonex Voltric 7 where the wooden handle has split. Handle aside, the racket is in good shape (including the strings) so I've managed to get a donor racket which cracked at the frame but the handle is in good condition. It's a Yonex Voltric racket (Voltric 70 I think).

Anyway, I've got two issues with doing the change over:
    1. The handle on the donor racket won't come off the shaft. It's like it's glue on. I've tried using clamps to twist the handle from the shaft but it just won't budge. Is this normal or have I just got a racket with abnormally large amounts of adhesive between shaft and handle?
    2. The original racket still has bits of splintered wood under the shaft cone which I need to get out without damaging the cone or the shaft. Any ideas how I can do this?
    I've already got 2 Voltric 7 rackets that are in good shape so I don't need a 3rd but if I can get (salvage) a 3rd one without much expense then I figured may as well.

Is it worth the effort though? Help and suggestions would be grateful.

TIA

2. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Handles are glued and screwed on; there's no way to get them off without destroying them.

I did a guide a while ago, located here - it's definitely worth doing for the price of a new handle.

3. techno79

techno79 Regular Member

Thank you so much, that guide is awesome. Where can I buy a new cone and new wooden handle?

4. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I would go to mybadmintonstore.com.

You can get them over here but they tend to be on the big side (i.e. Yonex G3).

5. techno79

techno79 Regular Member

I've no idea what grip size or shaft diameter the Yonex Voltric 7 would be. I purchased it from a UK authorised Yonex dealer so it'd be the standard UK spec. According to this website (http://www.yonex.com/sports/badminton/products/badminton/racquets/voltric-series/voltric-7/) the grip is G4,5 but I don't know what that means, does that mean G4 or G5 or is it G4.5?

Also, not sure what the shaft diameter is but I can easily measure this when I get home.

6. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

"G4,5" means it comes in G4 and G5; your racket will say on the cone which size it is (likely G4, over here).

Mid-range Yonex will be 7.5.

7. techno79

techno79 Regular Member

Thank you so much, you've been really helpful :)

8. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Victim from yesterday's club night:

[​IMG]

Victor Lightfighter 7000. I already sent the owner the tutorial how to replace the handle. Not sure if he will give it a try though.

9. techno79

techno79 Regular Member

Ouch, looks similar to the breaks from my racket. It's very easy to repair, just need a bit of time. Definitely worth doing as it costs just a few quid to repair instead of throwing away an expensive racket.