Return Doubles Serve

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Natty Bumpo, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Natty Bumpo

Natty Bumpo Regular Member

Hey

Im a junior player who is not very aggressive. My net kills are returnable and my smash returns are slow. The server reacts too quickly and hits the shuttle right back into my face. Where do I return the shuttle when receiving serve. Also I tend to slice the shuttle when smashing. I am trying to attain that "boom" sound when smashing like my peers. My smash is also always returned and the point is always lost. Help!!

Thanks

2. captivated

captivated Regular Member

Hi

normally I'll push them to the sidelines or it's significantly high (very seldom) I'll push it to the servers partner... too repetitive is bad somehow so u may prefer to slice it to the net too.. some time some lift and go for defensive if u wanna drain yr opponents stamina..

for smash work on the pronation and body rotation

hope this helps

3. bulbasaur

bulbasaur New Member

Hi,

As a junior doubles player myself I find that a simple net return or a small push to the sidelines is most effective when the shuttle is around tape level from the serve. Just be aware that your opponents can flick you as well. However when the serve is 'killable' then it is right to net kill. Since you say your net kills are returnable then you should work on your finger/wrist power in order to develop it. Also if you tend to slice your smashes then you should work on correct technique first and gradually add power.

Hope I helped a little

4. InvincibleAjay

InvincibleAjay Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    Okay work on your aggression on court, by this I mean fast feet drills and speed work. You need to think of the serve as the starters gun to a race, you have to react to that serve just like sprinters react to the gun. If its high, move back quickly and then play an attacking shot. If its low, explode with your racket leg propelling you forward and taking the shuttle as early as possible, thus giving you more options on your return. There are few return options to a low serve:

1) Hard back at the server if you are fast enough, catch them out.
    2) Tramlines between the two players, this often caused confusion as to which of them should get the shuttle.
    3) A tumbling net shot away from the server towards the opposite side, be careful that you are not crossed though so remain light on your feet for any poor return to pounce again.

Doing drills will help you improve on the above. There is no substitute for practice. Practice until you are doing the above better and consistently.

Finally with regards to smashing, as people have said, take the power off initially and learn the proper techniques in smashing, namely hip rotation, shoulder rotation, forearm supination and pronation. Think of the Usain Bolt celebration stance, its close to the starting position to perform a smash. Again practice and once you get better, then try and add more power by doing everything faster and more fluid. Try to remain relaxed and don't hold the racket too right, common problems with juniors I coach. Good luck.

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals. I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants.

5. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

For receiving serve, if you want to be fast and play an attacking shot such as a net or push, you need to be as prepared as possible.

The racket should be at net tape level or slightly higher. Can't be too high or too low so that you don't have to move the racket too much to attack the serve.

Also, when you see the serve is being done, do a quick small split step and get to the shuttle. If it's low enough, you might want to try and net it. Try the corners and middle of the court. Keep your racket up in case they come back towards your face. One, it's for protection. Two, you could then intercept it and attack back.

If the serve is slightly higher, you can either brush the shuttle, do a soft block at the net or push it to the back line. Or if you notice a gap between the server and his partner, push it to that gap.

If people are attacking your net shots, then your net shots are probably not delicate and tight enough. Aim to take net shots as high as possible. As a gauge, put your racket horizontally on the net (from the white tape). Note where the bottom of the racket is on the net. That will be the lowest point you should take the net shot.

Try to do simple net shots drills first. Don't slice or do anything funny. Just touch, get a feel and get it at the highest point where possible. Make sure it's as tight as possible. When you are stable, then add in slicing.

For smashing, you have to keep practising. Pay attention to your body rotation, preparation and pronation. Ignore the power in smashes for now. Get a feel first. Understand why you are slicing the shuttle. If it's because your preparation is slow, then you have to start earlier. If you aren't behind the shuttle enough, do more footwork drills and fast feet exercises to get behind the shuttle faster. If it's a timing issue, focus on getting the timing right. If you are too stiff or not relaxed enough, you need to find ways to counter that. Once you have dealt with all the issues, you can then try adding more power to your smashes.