Returning a clear on the non-racket side

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Squirter, Mar 31, 2006.

  1. Squirter

    Squirter Regular Member

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2005
    Messages:
    11
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Richmond Hill, Canada
    I always get in trouble during games when the opponent clears the bird to my non-racket side. I don't think it's a problem with footwork because I'm getting there on time, but whenever I swing to clear it back, I usually get a rim-shot or the shot will be too weak. I'm doing the overhead clear (not backhand clear b/c i'm not strong enough yet). Anyone help?
     
  2. __Lam

    __Lam Regular Member

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2005
    Messages:
    909
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Calgary, Canada
    muscle training (wrist) and work on your technique, getting a coach if you dont already ahve one should help
     
  3. DinkAlot

    DinkAlot dcbadminton
    Brand Representative

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2005
    Messages:
    12,682
    Likes Received:
    278
    Occupation:
    Social Distancing Specialist
    Location:
    Southern California
    So you predominately do a forehand clear?

    Suggestion: change to a backhand dominate clear. It covers 90% well, the remaining 10%, takes work though. But it's much better than a forehand clear which can only cover 40-50%.
     
  4. dpc1l

    dpc1l Regular Member

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2004
    Messages:
    111
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    London
    You said you get there in time, but are you sure you're getting behind the shuttle? Try getting someone to hit some shuttles to this area and prepare as usual, but don't hit it. See if it lands in front of you (as it should) or on your head / behind you. If it doesn't land in front of you, try adjusting your footwork until it does, and then try the shot.
     
  5. liyux2

    liyux2 Regular Member

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2006
    Messages:
    44
    Likes Received:
    0
    Occupation:
    Student
    Location:
    vancouver
    run and overhead clear? works most of the time. the remaining, well... train your backhand ;)
     
  6. Youngunz_77

    Youngunz_77 Regular Member

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2006
    Messages:
    70
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Canada
    ive seen an instructional video about this. It well depends on your LOWER ARM ROTATION rather your wrist, altho it does play a part its heavily based on your lower arm. Returning smashes would be different as u obviously have less time, a flick here and in ur wrist should do it.
     
  7. Gollum

    Gollum Regular Member

    Joined:
    May 23, 2003
    Messages:
    4,642
    Likes Received:
    289
    Location:
    Surrey, UK
    I think he is talking about overhead clears, not smash defense ;)

    For this reason, I believe that the term "clear" is best applied only to overhead strokes. Similarly "drop shot" should not be used as a synonym for "net shot"
     
  8. pumpkin

    pumpkin Regular Member

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2004
    Messages:
    53
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Manila, Philippines
    It sounds like your still on the move when executing the shot. That is, if your right handed your still moving to the left and to the rear when doing your clear. My favorite counter to this is a round the head smash down the line.
     

Share This Page