REVIEW: Alpha Shuttle Express Stringing Machine

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by kwun, Apr 6, 2009.

1. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

in case of myself, I got from Eagnas directly, they have a lot of clone machine now and the price is really low especially for electronics one.
    but after I tried AEF machine (drop-weight Flyer-IV), then it would be better stay out from Eagnas.
    I have 4 Eagnas machines, so I can compare the quality.

2. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Yeap, I got them directly from Eagnas.

3. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Are your Eagnas machines funcational despite all the quality issues?

4. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

do you remember that Dink-a-lot also used Eagnas Combo 900 ?

and yes, all of mine are OK, especially after I changed all the crank with Wise2086.

back to topic .... Alpha Shuttle + Wise2086

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    my WASE (WISE + ASE) has grown up.

i recently added a stand to allow me to string standing up. the resulting frankenstein machine is actually quite a decent setup now.

the removal of the ASE legs means that i can move the WISE by a couple of inches, and that allows me to add the original diablo back in. haven't tried it yet. the spacing looking kinda tight.

i am still unsure how to mount the machine onto the stand at the moment. need to find some L brackets. right now it is just clamped onto it.

2M6Q0146.jpg 2M6Q0147.jpg

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    here is the evolution of the machine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. CovinaStringer

CovinaStringer Regular Member

Industrial Engineer/Stringer
    No Reel holder?

I would use to angle iron bar. On either side of the tension rail with holes to match the holes for the rails and the stand plate.

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it should come with one. i haven't looked clearly inside the boxes.

i am not too big into reels though.

9. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

That turntable looks sweeeeet - makes me PP Pilot look mediaeval. Could pose a problem for tennis rackets, though...:)

10. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

Kwun, im about to put an activation button on my machine. It will either be push activated or slide activated by pushing the clamping plates backwards. I'll post pictures and a diagram when I do. I was at RBA last night and played on the Victor machine just a little and it was really nice to have those features.

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    haha. yes. pushing the plate is a pretty nice feature that the ES5Pro also have.

i am all ears to what you plan to do. maybe you can fix mine up as well... ;)

12. illusionistpro

I played with the 3.5mm jack and 2x switches. I've found that the wise operates on a momentary switch and cannot be actuated on or off while the circuit is closed/complete. Therefor 2 momentary switches can work but the 1st must be reopened right after its actuated. Basically one switch at a time! I was hoping I could leave one turned on and the other switch would still actuate it had a feeling that wouldnt work. Do we have any engineers that can help?

I was thinking still 2 switches in parallel. One switch would be an "off" or return switch that is near the right side of the string gripper. I also want a switch (maybe a magnetic reed switch) on the top or left of the gripper to activate when the gripper moves. I could hot glue a small magnet to the gripper that shouldn't affect it. Ideas?

13. CovinaStringer

CovinaStringer Regular Member

Industrial Engineer/Stringer
    Well there is one mod to add a second 3/5mm (1/8th") jack to the back of the unit. Then you can plug in two different switches. This voids any warranty on the unit. Herb and his lacky (tech) are very adimant about opening the case and tampering.

Any type of switch will work, as long as it's SPST (Single Pull, Single Throw) Momentary Switch like the one from Radio Shack for $3. I was thinking of using a momentary pressure switch like you find on laser pointers for guns, but those are expensive. As for magnets, the limit switch uses magnets, so be careful where you put magnets. Also hot glue does not stick well to anodized aluminum.

This kind of gives me an idea on how to design an integrated Paddle switch and a diablo for the older models.

Here are some previous mods from Photostringer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#233 CovinaStringer, Mar 18, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  14. illusionistpro

I got it! :D:D:D But I wont share it yet :p:p:p Its not complete. I have is the basic design about 50% done and it might take me another week to complete it. I will assure everyone that once I put this out, everyone using the wise tension head will want to use it. 99% Guaranteed! ;)

This add-on system will allow Wise tension head users to actuate the Wise with having to push a button or step on a switch to pull tension! The mechanics are just like the Victor machine. To use this new system you place your string in the gripper plates. You push them back with your finger or by pulling the string toward you and that motion activates the motor and pulls tension. Once you've clamped that string you can release the tension by pushing a button, and voila! You're ready to pull your next string.

Did I mention, this is going to be a relatively cheap mod?! :eek: I'm soooo excited!

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    haha. put the switch at the other end of the gripper? so sliding it will activate it? ;)

or even just a electrical contact. one end on the metallic gripper, the other end just a bare wire...

16. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

interesting to know ....

17. _Rav_

_Rav_ Regular Member

Gofer
    BC you are an evil temptress...

w4.jpg

From reading this thread i knew i would have to do something creative to get the Wise to fit on to the Pro's Pro SE, and since i also covet a free standing machine (which, when i make it, will bolt directly to the bar at the central mounting point) a temporary solution was called for. You'll notice i had to raise the side supports up to get 360 rotation, although i could probably drop them down a little (a trivial task) i finally got them all at the same height so for now i'll leave it be. The pennies/washers under the frame are there more as a guide to hold the racket up while i tighten the supports, but they also prevent the frame being pulled down when the tension is pulled.

w5.jpg

The leg raisers are made from aluminium, with the bottom holes threaded for the allen bolts to screw into, and regular bolts/nuts above. Seems secure enough.

18. roadrunner18

roadrunner18 New Member

Hi,

I would like to purchase this machine, can someone provide me with a link. I am in Canada. Thanks for the great review.

19. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

If you don't have to have exactly ASE, you can contact aefsports.com to order a similar or other machines. They accept Paypal and will mail it to you.

20. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

What's the use of the diablo on the WISE 2086?