Rexy - To Enforce Or Not to Enforce

Discussion in 'Thomas Cup / Uber Cup 2010' started by X Ball, May 18, 2010.

1. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    i care as lyd is my fave:D
    lyd can patner lhi:eek:

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    what is ubber?
    u mean rubber?
    u mean uber?

3. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

I think I just spent 15 minutes, it is just organising items picked up here.
    I wanted to tabulate it but dont know how to fit it into this window.
    If anyone is interested just make your own table on word or excel
    and assign your own scores. It could be useful for decision making for
    other stuff.

4. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

I think coaches have to practise some kind of analysis too during matches.

You see sometimes coaches carrying a notebook or the TV displaying a summary of net winners, clear winners, rallies etc in order to make decisions whether his player is playing the correct or wrong game.

5. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

This kind of summary is useful to obtain the "big picture" and helicopter view. Otherwise hours will be spent debating on specific or narrow issues without knowing how each issue is related to one another.I think it is common when making management reports for decision making.
    I dont know how to use word or excel to fit this window.Try it for what its worth,maybe it will help to solve a problem.

6. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    yes
    u are correct
    myself did this
    i believe bcer like ye333 will also do some note during analyzing video:)

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    maybe misbun was doodling on notepad instead:p

8. YCW

YCW Regular Member

Engineer
    I think physically and skill wise, some of the Malaysian players are right up there. It is the mental toughness that they are lacking. To measure that is to see how well one performs in a major tournament, and most of the time, Malaysian players didn't fare too well.

Mental toughness is hard to define. Probably something to do with the will or hunger for a win, a little cockiness, confidence, nerve of steel, calmness, ability to think under pressure (in fact feels not much pressure at all), rise to the occasion, over achieving, etc.

I am not sure how to teach or learn mental toughness. However, if Malaysian players want to perform better in major tournaments, this is one area they must concentrate on. Otherwise Malaysian fans are sure to be disappointed again and again come next major tournament.

9. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    should try iPad instead:D

10. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Froma the star.com today.

MAS shuttlers blamed :
    a.the were, culturally,not as mentally strong as the shuttlers from china and korea.
    b.there were too much disturbance from the media and other surroundings
    c. The motivation camp was held too close to finals
    d. The lost to Japan, because they did not get a chance to try out the stadium when Nigeria failed turned up for opening match...

WOW...

11. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    woohoo
    this is interesting
    what pemuda will say if he is here:eek:

12. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    if only the agenda list for discussion on bam table right now are similar to yours stated:D

but i doubt as some of them will be in white ink:crying:

13. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Because I am not involved in the training, I am not sure who is doing what. But in my mind, if you are the head coach for doubles, you need to have a say in the running of the physical program. Now maybe he has and he is trusting that it is enough done there by whoever is helping in that area.

Personally, I think it is not turning out well in that department -- just looking at Zakry-Fairuz tells me they need a lot of work to get fit. KKK-TBH are fit but not that fit compared to the Chinese. And I know it is not only me saying that here, TBH is a '2-smash' wonder - after that he fades.

Now who is to be blamed? I don't know for sure but somebody has to be. It is not good enough for me !

And please Limsy, it is not all about the blame game. It is about getting it right.

#93 X Ball, May 20, 2010
    Last edited: May 20, 2010
  14. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Actually Rexy has a lot to say about the program..will BAM listen to him?? but remember BAM brought Tan Kim Her out of the blue and never discussed with REXY at all...Bang!! he is part of MD team...!
    You can see the way of BAM's management..
    All I can say in BAM..you will never know who is your FRIEND or ENEMY....
    for example..look at Ganga..everybody knows that Ganga was doing a proper job to get ING...everybody knows....but why he got sacked???

15. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired

The Star
    May 21, 2010

Shuttlers list out reasons for poor performance in the Finals

By RAJES PAUL

KUALA LUMPUR: The Thomas-Uber Cup players have blamed the failure to host centralised training in isolation as one of the many reasons for their poor performances.

These issues were brought up during a no-holds barred meeting with the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) president Datuk Nadzmi Mohd Salleh yesterday.

Other grievances and excuses brought up by the shuttlers were that:

* they were, culturally, not as mentally strong as the shuttlers from China and South Korea;

* there was too much disturbance from the media and their surroundings (at the hostel where they shared the facilities with athletes from other sports at Bukit Kiara);

* the motivation camp was held too close to the Finals;

* they lost to Japan (2-3 in the group tie) because they did not get a chance to try out the stadium when Nigeria failed to turn up for their opening match.

Nadzmi said he was surprised to hear their reasons for their tame performances when it mattered most.

The Thomas Cup squad, led by world No. 1s Lee Chong Wei and Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong, went down 0-3 to China in the semi-finals while the Uber Cup team, led by Wong Mew Choo and Chin Eei Hui-Wong Pei Tty, went down by a similar score to Indonesia in the quarter-finals. “The objective of this meeting was for the players to speak to me in a relaxed and open manner. They were free to say what they felt about their performances in the Finals,” said Nadzmi.

“Chong Wei understood what happened to him (in his match against Lin Dan). He says that his condition was equal to Lin Dan's but that the China ace was better prepared. (mentally, I may add). Chong Wei is also aware that there are no back-up players coming through.

“All of them could analyse what had happened. I do not want to go into details. Every individual had his or her own set of problems.

“Generally, they said that China and South Korea had players who were mentally strong because of their culture.”

Nadzmi said that the players felt that a two-week training in isolation would have done them a world of good before the Finals.

“It would have kept them away from their families and the press. They felt that there were too much distraction. In China and South Korea, the players trained in isolation before the Finals. In fact, coaches and players only get to see their families once every two weeks,” he said.

“Sometimes, negative reports can be a distraction. In a competition, the best team do not necessarily win. There are a lot of external and multi-faceted factors that need to be looked into.”

When told that the players should have analysed their own shortcomings instead of highlighting external factors, Nadzmi said: “Yes, they also blamed themselves. They need help and it is our duty to manage and find the best way to overcome this problem.

“We are not jumping to any conclusions here. I am also not saying what the players said here today is right or wrong.

“We are not blaming anyone but we are looking for solutions. There could be other factors, like the players' lifestyles or commitment in training. We will come out with a conclusion when we have had our post-mortem.”

Nadzmi will meet with the national coaches today.

X Ball should take note that no mention was made about their lack of fitness.

#95 Loh, May 20, 2010
    Last edited: May 20, 2010
  16. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

in some cultures the golden rule is :

rule 1: The Boss is always right
    rule 2 : If the Boss is wrong goback to rule 1

In other countries the head honcho has to assume responsibilty and commit Harakiri.

In many organisations the head may be planted to represent unseen hands, he becomes indispensable, is "in" and trustworthy and cannot be questioned. and must be protected.
    But common sense says someone who points a finger at someone else points 3 fingers at himself.
    Right wrong true false that's just how things work here especially when it is controlled by the government.

17. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Yes, unfortunately - Rexy needs to sell as much as he needs to train people. It is not a blessed job. Life is tough being a coach - every coach has to face almost similar. I understand Rexy may not be able to tell everyone what to do but I think he should capitalise on such losses in the TC to tell them what to do - it is only when there is adversity, there is opportunity (I know it is a cliche but then you need cliches to push for things sometimes).

18. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    BAM post-mortem

day 1 (the players)
    “The objective of this meeting was for the players to speak to me in a relaxed and open manner. They were free to say what they felt about their performances in the Finals,” said Nadzmi​

not all players will 'spill' out their hatred/problems in front of so many people:D the 'picture' is still vague:p

''There could be other factors, like the players' lifestyles or commitment in training''​

right, this is where it should be dug deeper, mr.president! :D

''they were, culturally, not as mentally strong as the shuttlers from China and South Korea;''​

is it true? gosh! we forgot to teach them young on this! here the development coaches are to be blame!:p
    ''there was too much disturbance from the media and their surroundings (at the hostel where they shared the facilities with athletes from other sports at Bukit Kiara);''​

this is no good and who's idea was it in the first place? - going for an exam while you just come out from the disco..
    ''the motivation camp was held too close to the Finals;''​

why? heavy schedule or green light given too late??
    ''they lost to Japan (2-3 in the group tie) because they did not get a chance to try out the stadium when Nigeria failed to turn up for their opening match''​

this shows they are still not familiar playing in the stadium - a nightmare for the team and why can't priority given to them weeks or months before tuc2010? who ever used it more important than tuc2010? :eek:

Nadzmi said he was surprised to hear their reasons for their tame performances when it mattered most.​

yes mr.president, this is very important and they should have been avoided in the first place:cool:

19. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

And that is why this article Loh. Try to follow the meanings of article - the article is saying excuses are made when the real truth is something else. And I am saying the something else is fitness.

20. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Loh's emphasis on mental strength maybe one of the major factors.

Remember how coaches on TV always comment that a player was nervous and tensed up so that they coild not control shots well. So many times we have heard our coaches asking their players to go out and enjoy the game without any pressure. I think it is even more important nowadays to allow players to focus and concentrate on the game ,
    I'm sure the game is different form 1992 where you play to the rhytim of the crowd.
    I am not saying I am right ,if the players insisit that they should be left to concentrate why should supporters want to chip in and participate, the players have voiced their views lets observe and see if it is true.