Richmond Badminton Club Fun Night(Richmond, B.C)

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by SmashingBird, Feb 18, 2004.

1. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Heh! I was talking about WWCbro's accent... maybe WWC talked the same way too. Won't know until I meet WWC:D.

2. wwcbro

wwcbro Regular Member

Fun night

First off,
    It is nice to meet Cappy75. As for the accent...well, you 'know-lah', hard to lose stuff from where you are born. WWC has less of an accent than me. Too bad we can't get a Sunday night off, would like to partner WWC and see how we do. Been ages since he & I partnered. One of this day......:cool:

Am surprised that I was rated "advanced" in level of play. :eek: I considered myself a so-so player, way, way........below that of SB, Frank, Keith & Ken. I tend to lean with SB regarding the draw, could use with a bit more tinkering. But regardless, it was a fun night and good dinner. I think for this coming Tues Fun night, dinner will be at a different place....believe it will be 2x as good as the Thurs one!!!

Timeless, for the Advanced group..winners was Frank/Ken. Intermediate group...Cappy75/Rick. Beginners (not sure if I am using the right term, because they are not actual beginners)...Lionel/(can't remember who the partner is..sorry!)

:)

3. SmashingBird

SmashingBird Regular Member

Student, Badminton-student
    RICHMOND BC...ne hot girls from richmond that play
    Re: Fun night

Yah, neither me or you should be in the advance group, esp. they seeded us..hahah. I think Tues will be the same for our group with the exception of the unseeded side. So it will be Frank, Keith, you and me on the same side again :rolleyes:
    Dinner will be at California Cafe, Rick already booked the tables on Friday night. Hey you should order the cold drinks, they say they will charge us extra but Peter didn't at the end, and I order the Jumbo Size too..hahaha
    And the beginners winners were Lionel and Andy. I heard from Kitty that Andy's father was cheating giving up points intentionally to Andy when they were playing against each other..hahaha.

4. wwcbro

wwcbro Regular Member

Fun night postscript...

Forgot to mention that TTT was there as well, not playing though. TTT, maybe one of this days...you, SB, WWC & I should get together, eh?:cool: :D

5. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    I'm surprised Rick didn't play in the advanced group.

6. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Looks like RBC has quite a sizable core of excellent players. Viver and Timeless-- are you both members of the club or just regular drop-ins? Incidentally, I received a call from Peter L. this morning about helping out the juniors. I was flattered that he asked me but had to turn down the opportunity as I don't live near enough. Kinda surprised by the call since I am a non-member and had only one drop-in with the club for the Fun Night. Aren't there enough volunteers to help run the junior program?

7. SmashingBird

I believe Viver is a Sunday night member, Timeless is not, not even a regular dropin, when was the last time I seen TImeless dropin?..hmm...letsee...last year?..hahah:p
    Well, the junior program's head Coach is Frank, so let see....hmmm...yeah..wwcbro was a coach, he coached my sister, I was expecting him to teach her how to do a jumping backhand smash within a month but he wasn't able to so my sister quit.:D The irony about the program is how there is a long waiting list for kids to get in and yet sometimes I see very few people show up. Anyways I should stop ranting about my own club..hahah.

edit: I m actually ok with the coaches such as Rick, wwcbro, but there is this one coach(not gonna name) I really question. He was in the beginner's level for the fun night and he didn't even win. He's form is not very good and teaching method is very questionable. Do you agree with me on this wwcbro?

#67 SmashingBird, Mar 6, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2004
  8. SmashingBird

You should of made a deal with Peter, say if you volunteer to coach, you get to be a member of RBC or something.;)

9. Traum

Traum Regular Member

Need Coach?

Hey SmashingBird. You guys looking for a coach for you junior members at RBC? Any chance I can volunteer myself? (perhaps in exchange for a bit of baddy every now and the at RBC?) :eek: :D

-Rick

10. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Re: Need Coach?

Have you played there before, Rick? I think the program spans a few days of the week. So, perhaps they're looking for volunteers who could help out on specific days.

11. SmashingBird

Re: Re: Need Coach?

The program is Monday Night 7pm-10pm. I highly doubt they will give anything back in return but I do encourage you to try!:D

12. viver

viver Regular Member

Hi Cappy75,
    I play in RBC on Sundays nights only. Timeless is not a RBC member, but VRC's. I had the pleasure to meet him already and he is a very good player. Hope someday have the chance to meet and play with you.

13. viver

viver Regular Member

Re: Re: Re: Need Coach?

I did that before but have to turn it down later because of the distance. It's really volunteer basis and your reward is the kids smiles. It's worth it, believe me. :)

14. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Hi Viver,

Maybe we can play together on Sunday at RBC!

Pete

15. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Volunteer coaches @RBC

If you are interested in earning your NCCP certification, this would be a great opportunity to complete your practical component and actually apply your theory and technical aspects too.

What you do get out of the program is the pleasure of knowing that you have introduce the game of badminton to kids and hopefully they will make it their sport. At the end of the sessions, the club do show their appreciation with gift certificates (which is not a large amount but just a token). Who knows, the kid that you will coaching could turn to be the next National champion.

You can contact any member of the club Executive (or myself) if you are interested.

Thanks.

16. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    Re: Need Coach?

I believe all the coaches are required to pay their own membership to RBC. As far as I know, being a volunteer coach there is strictly just that.

Viver, WWCbro, WWC, SmashingBird,

What are all the days and times this volunteer program is running on? I wouldn't mind putting in some time if it works into my schedule. Is it run at Anderson as well? And do they train with feather or plastic?

17. wwcbro

wwcbro Regular Member

@

#77 wwcbro, Mar 7, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2004
  18. wwcbro

wwcbro Regular Member

Thread going astray...

The volunteer coaching take place is the McKay Elementary School off No.2 Rd just past Granville Rd. It runs on Monday only from 7pm - 10pm. The juniors (Ages 7-12) goes from 7pm-8:30pm whilst the seniors (Ages 13-16) goes from 8:30-10pm. They played with feathers.
    I was coaching for a while there, but eventually unable to do so due to conflicting obligations.:p

#78 wwcbro, Mar 7, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2004
  19. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Oh, likewise, Viver! I think I might try to drop-in on one of these sundays with Dave and Traum when they're free. For me, RBC is really out of the way even though the club atmosphere is warm and friendly. It's quite enjoyable to have intense yet friendly games, nothing beats sharing the fun with like-minded folks:).

20. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    Re: Thread going astray...

Hmmm I'm not familiar with Richmond at all, how far is that from ClearOne? And is it North or South of it? Thanks for the info WWCBro.