Richmond/Vancouver - New facility?

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by Winex West Can, May 17, 2004.

1. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist

Excellent! Thanks for the update.

-dave

2. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    That's a very good location as it very accessible from Knight St. and Bridgeport Rd. Could draw players from Richmond, Surrey and Vancouver. So what will you call the place? WINEX CENTER:D?

#62 cappy75, Sep 25, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2004
  3. BTC2004

BTC2004 Regular Member

There is a "Clear One" in Richmond, this one should be named "Smash One":)

4. wood_22_chuck

Electronics Technologist
    I've been constantly ragging on wwcbro on Winex. I can just see the new facility being called "Winex Centre" and me being Winex honorary member (still have to pay dues though!) appointed by wwcbro.

-dave

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    nice! high traffic area, that will draw a lot of crowd. :)

"honey, we can go play some baddy, and then afterwards, i will go with you to the grocery at costcos.." :)

6. wood_22_chuck

Electronics Technologist
    WWC, wondering what's the progress?

With the new Smash City's impending opening in Milpitas, it seems like Vancouver's lagging behind in having quality places for drop-in. ClearOne's focus/priority seems to be on coaching and corporate bookings, rather than being a badminton hub for drop-ins, sad-to-say.

-dave

7. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    ClearOne won't survive if it's merely just another badminton hub with their limited number of courts. Their biggest revenue comes from coaching/training and corporate bookings. It's gonna be tough competiting with the rest of the community center drop-ins. Unless Winex Center can differentiate from those centers, it's not gonna work cuz it won't be able to beat their pricing and convenience. There has to be something to draw the crowd.

8. andrewln

andrewln Regular Member

studies
    Richmond/Vancouver got facilities already... (clearone, VRC)...why not build one near burnaby/newwest?

I think a good place is near 91A....easy accesible from, burnaby, newwest, , delta, coq

OR..

in between of coquitlam and burnaby... There are no good facilities here in burnaby or coquitlam. (comparable to VRC or clearone)

but..the costs of the facility anually might be costly

9. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Hey there,
    Sorry about the delay but again, it's stuff outside of my control. No easy task trying to locate a suitable facility within the designated areas. Lower ceilings (24') or for suitable height, it's the cost per sq foot.

Just have to be patient and keep looking. I'm just hoping that my investors are going to be patient too. ;)

10. madbad

madbad Regular Member

I hear that Sports Central (located behind Home Depot) is going ahead and building 8-10 court facility. There were previous rumours on this but nothing came of it. This time I've been told it's a done deal. Anyone hear of this?

11. Takamsda

Takamsda Regular Member

Professional Badminton Racket Stringer at Noah's B
    Hi Andrew

This is Noah

Your idea of having a dedicated facility in Burnaby is great. I don't like to travel to far far place for only 2 hrs of play. The fact about Burnaby is, it is hard to get a warehouse in the high traffic area unless you're thinking industrial zone by #1 highway. If you want an idea facility in Burnaby, you need to build a GYM. It's costly and not effective. No business plan will approve such risky investment(unless it's 100% coming out of your pocket). As metioned before, it cost 10000+ CAD a month just for the rental. Second considering will be utility bills. Heating will be a major expense if you operate 18 hrs/day during the winter if you have a 8-10 court facility. It's crazy.

I did a calculation, if a new built facility opens in the heart of Burnaby, it will take 7 years to break-even. Any business proposal with longer than 3 year break-even payback period is unlikely to continue. No one can bare the fact to burn their money for 7 years without the gurantee the money will come back. It's hard to find an ideal warehouse in Burnaby(either south/centreal/north, all in industral zone, unlikely to get re-zone approval). Dare to dream, dare to dream.

To get an ideal lot you need 1200000~1500000 plus construction plus interest before any income.

Btw WWC, I am at BCIT Operation Management program now. The following 2 months I'll be doing a new production facility layout design. If you need any advise, feel free to give me a call, I'll help out.

12. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Hi Noah,
    Thanks for the offer. Will contact you once we have identify a suitable facility. Right now, getting high enough ceiling warehouse is not easy.

13. Nephrus

Nephrus Regular Member

As a Burnaby resident i would love to have one here :crying: . But ofcourse the zones in burnaby are so cramped and messed up not to mention the ground is not exactly flat. Anyways... buy your super 7s this week, its big Big BIG haha