RIO - would you rather watch live or replay?

Discussion in 'Olympics 2016 - RIO' started by kwun, Aug 9, 2016.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    The question seems obvious. Isn't live is always better?

But then a lot of the times, watching live coverage isn't always possible. Maybe because of timezone, it ended up in the middle of the night. or also due to time zone, in the middle of a work day.

Seems like there will be some sacrifice with watching live.

Replay is good as many are scheduled for prime time. But (at least in the US), the coverage is usually manicured to suit local audience and there are more life stories than live coverage. Like the gymnastics coverage in the US, they only showed the US team who lost anyway but they show them cause people like to watch their home team and it's good for rating...

my choice is always live, of course. i will have to figure out a way to watch the badminton matches live...

2. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

Most important is being able to watch full matches with good picture quality.
    After that, preferably with commentary.

Live would be nice, but I'm not sure that will be possible at work :p

3. stradrider

stradrider Regular Member

I rarely watch live. Never have the time.

But my main problem is that live matches are rarely have good quality feed, never for the interesting games. I dont care about HD or picture quality, but one thing I hate with all my guts is when it starts freezing every 10 seconds...

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    that's true. I was following the swimming and cycling. cycling was OK. but the swimming had a few pauses. and when the race is just 1 min long, a few pauses really spoils it!

the quality from the NBC streaming here in the US is not bad. I hook it up to the TV and can tell it is not crisp HD quality, but still very watchable.

stradrider likes this.
  5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    I am watching badminton live for sure. I won't enjoy it when I already know the result, and will always know the results already because of... you guys!!

6. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Perhaps @visor , Cheung and we other medicos can make a bit of profit writing "sick notes" for all the BC'ers who medically require to skip work to watch the feed. :rolleyes:

7. visor

visor Regular Member

Nah, we have higher moral/ethical standards than that...

... however, though, I'll write you one if you write me one...

#7 visor, Aug 9, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
    Fidget likes this.
  8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Nothing beats watching it live, assuming good TV coverage and quality. And then to savour the moments again, I would watch the replay, sometimes more than once.

True, watching live is sometimes, if not often, a luxury we can ill afford but a lot depends on what you're willing to forgo and sacrifice for it or the price you're willing to pay. The same goes for everything else in life, we just have to prioritize and get our values right and take responsibility accordingly; occasionally, however, we're faced with Hobson's choice. Well, that's life.

kwun, blabl and Vijay P. like this.
  9. SolsticeOfLight

This is why I don't visit the forum if I have missed a match that I want to catch up on.

10. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I'd take either, really. Probably wont get to see much until like 2 weeks after, with how freaking sloppy bwf has been the last year with uploads/unblocking. To be honest, the last year I pretty much lost interest in international badminton because it has been almost unavailable here in Germany - nothing to be seen live, and the bwf channel unblocks videos at least 2 weeks later, if at all. More often 6 than 2 weeks, and some tournaments never. The stupid "highlights" are useless too, could just as well look at the score online instead of watch 2-3 game points per match.

I'm severely disappointed with the way things have been going where coverage is concerned, and here I thought the bwf was trying to promote the sport....but I guess it's too much to ask these days. They've shown time and time again that barely anyone there has two brain cells to rub together - thinking of changing the scoring system yet again, when other, less TV optimal sports are far more successful, is a prime example of how useless their work has been these last years, and they obviously don't care about bringing the sport to even the most interested fans - Youtube live streams have never been allowed in Germany, for example, yet they haven't found any other platform to make live coverage available to us, and videos aren't even made available anytime soon after tournaments end anymore (it used to be available a few hours after the match ended).

Olympic Games in general have me pumped, but running into frustrations yet again where badminton is concerned (only matches with Germans in it available on official streams), I just don't know if it's worth the effort anymore. Should probably focus on enjoying my own play instead of hoping for the bwf to get anything half right anytime soon, and read up on events here.

kwun, Rob3rt and stradrider like this.
  11. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

I feel your anger/disappointment. When I read that ZDF/ARD is going to stream a lot of badminton, I couldn't believe it. And after watching the opening mixed doubles match with German participation on TV, they switched to another sport and I was proven right after all.

I find it extremely annoying always having to search for streams and then most of the times even having to use a VPN/proxy to get access... For some courts I haven't found a working stream at all.

12. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    Did you hear about Proxflow? it works for watching most blocked Youtube stuff.

13. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Probably not for live streams, those dont even show up when theyre blocked in your region :(

14. visor

visor Regular Member

Hola and Stealthy are also good extensions in Chrome to bypass geo blocking.

15. indrg

indrg Regular Member

Would NBC broadcast a replay of MS Final if LD/LCW face CL? nah... They'll seriously broadcast Badminton if only controversies to happen or if US team miraculously contends for a medal or Howard Shu creates an upset.

16. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    not prime time. right now all they show are events with US team involved, and they like to show winning ones mostly. they will also show popular events like swimming regardless of nationality. I don't think badminton will ever make the cut, maybe a few minutes of it.

4 yrs ago they did show badminton, but at ridiculous hours like 2am. I sometimes stayed up to watch to savor having badminton on TV, but since it is always delayed there is no huge urge to. the streaming is always good though. quality is very good.

17. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Stay away from Badminton Central. :D:D:D

18. tommypress

tommypress Regular Member

Would love to definitely cover as much live matches as possible. But in case, we always have our highlights..!

19. SolsticeOfLight

Highlights are the worst. I don't even know why BWF bothers.

20. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

They should be called 'point before the interval and last point of each set' videos...

tommypress likes this.